WatchGuard XTM [EOL] Review

Packet filters and proxy policies are valuable features. The management console and web interface are very bad.

What is most valuable?

Packet filters and proxy policies are valuable features. They allow you to configure restrictions by domain name. These features are useful to block web pages which have multiple IP addresses, such as Facebook.

How has it helped my organization?

It was installed as two redundant XTM 850s (active-passive).

The XTM 850s perform as a general firewall and as a filter of WAN traffic. Routers are configured as a load balancer for internal VLANs and for WAN as well. Other network functionality is based on Extreme Networks equipment.

What needs improvement?

The management console and web interface are very bad. They should improve it and add more command lines and easy scripting functionality. I also suggest adding/improving smart and easy logging and debugging tools.

We have been using the solution for about 18 months.

We had a stability issue. Sometimes devices hang and it is very difficult to understand why. Sometimes we rebooted the system and it started to work, but we couldn’t understand what the issue was.

We had a scalability issue. Sometimes when we have heavy traffic, such as 100 mbp/s, we see a high CPU load.

The technical support is very bad. The price is very high, the response time is very long, and technical support does not provide a general solution. They just try to solve local, small issues. Sometimes they cannot understand standard issues and provide solutions.

We didn't use a similar solution, but we have used MicroTik routers and UNIX firewalls.

The setup was very easy.

My advice is to decrease technical support pricing and increase the quality.

I didn’t select this device.

What other advice do I have?

The documentation is just for configuration. I suggest adding documents about solutions for different cases.

1 Comment
author avatarNetwork Engineer with 51-200 employees
User

Read some good reviews about this device.