Pros of Wireshark are
1) Open Source
2) Support on Windows, Linux, MAC, Solaris
3) Presence of both command shell and graphical user interface
4) Port Mirroring
5) Inbuilt support for WinPcap, libPcap
6) Filter creation for better packet capture techniques
Room for Improvement:
Few cons of Wireshark are
1) Running Wireshark through an admin account for multiple exploits, is unsecured
2) Cannot manipulate things on the network
3) Cannot be used for MIDM attacks
4) Lack of intrusion detection module
5) Lack of modules for ARP poisoning and caching
Wireshark is the world's most powerful network protocol analyzer tool. It can be used for various purposes such as, analysis of protocols like TCP, HTTP, UDP, and complete analysis of networks and troubleshooting. It has the option to use the wireless adapter directly in promiscuous mode for interception of wireless packets. It is much more effective than other tools such as tcpdump and dumpcap with a good user interface and hex detection.
Find out what your peers are saying about Wireshark, Colasoft, Viavi Solutions and others in Network Troubleshooting. Updated: July 2021.
523,230 professionals have used our research since 2012.