Wireshark Review

Filters enable traffic to be segmented so that a value can be looked at individually apart from the other traffic

What is our primary use case?

I use it for network investigation, I even have a patent for the simplification of Protocol Analysis. I have used Wireshark many times to troubleshoot network situations and problems. The patent solved the problem of troubleshooting where you needed to know the direction and course a packet takes in the network which helps with the ability to know where problems lie in the network. We developed the system to actually troubleshoot an entire network through the use of network probes, which acted as smaller protocol analyzers.

How has it helped my organization?

It helped in the sense that it allowed the team to troubleshoot networks faster. While I worked at Verizon, our group was able to provide network analysis of our testbed which gave us an advantage over most test groups. This was because we could follow a packet throughout the network to examine the treatment that the packet was receiving in the network. The improvement came when we realized that through the use of this method we could duplicate the results of using a much more expensive version of our program called RMON.

What is most valuable?

I use the filters very often, to determine what type of traffic I am looking for. The use of filter allows traffic to be segmented so that a value can be looked at individually apart from the other traffic. I remember one day when we had to find out what was causing one of the systems to crash. We used our system to look at the network as a whole and we found that the device actually gave us the ability to segment the network finding the problem is a faster way which allowed for a more accurate test of the network.

What needs improvement?

The system could be improved upon by adding a better and more powerful data processing engine. The original was based on the Raspberry Pi. The RPi unit acted as a sensor on the network relaying information back to a centralized computer which was able to correlate and provide analysis as to the packets and their reaction to traffic loads. Much improvement could have been done but we were not that lucky. The more we designed items the more we began to realize that we were getting too far from our central goal of trying to make the network better.

I have been using it since it was called Ethereal.

I am impressed with the stability.

Great scalability, but they are beginning to sacrifice ease of use for complexity. That was why we needed to simplify things.

No, we did not use another solution like wire-shark, but what we used in the past was the RADco. The RADcon was a protocol analyzer that was an all in one unit that was the standard at the time but did not allow for cooperative testing.

If you can get the same use for less cost do it.

No, we did not.