Amazon EC2 Overview

Amazon EC2 is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Compute Service tools. It is most often compared to Apache NiFi: Amazon EC2 vs Apache NiFi

What is Amazon EC2?

Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale cloud computing easier for developers.

Amazon EC2’s simple web service interface allows you to obtain and configure capacity with minimal friction. It provides you with complete control of your computing resources and lets you run on Amazon’s proven computing environment. Amazon EC2 reduces the time required to obtain and boot new server instances to minutes, allowing you to quickly scale capacity, both up and down, as your computing requirements change. Amazon EC2 changes the economics of computing by allowing you to pay only for capacity that you actually use. Amazon EC2 provides developers the tools to build failure resilient applications and isolate them from common failure scenarios.

Amazon EC2 is also known as Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud, EC2.

Amazon EC2 Buyer's Guide

Download the Amazon EC2 Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: February 2021

Amazon EC2 Customers

Netflix, Expedia, TimeInc., Novaris, airbnb, Lamborghini

Amazon EC2 Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Amazon EC2 pricing:
  • "For our usage, the cost is approximately $20,000 to $23,000 per month."

Amazon EC2 Reviews

Ogaga
Security & DevOps Analyst at Newtopia Inc.
Oct 28, 2020
Makes it easy to either transfer data as an S3 bucket or increase the drive storage on the server

What is our primary use case?

We have a couple of primary use cases. We have an internal password server that we use for one of them. The other use case is file transfer. We have set apart an in-house SFTP process and it is all there. ETL enterprise trends and the data transformation process also run on one of the servers. We have databases that run on one of the EC2 docs. We have a direct database that runs AWS Postgres. We don't separate that, but we do have a part of the business that runs on the server as well. My company has a couple of servers on EC2 that we manage across defined regions. We have roughly 11 servers… more »

• "Amazon EC2 is highly scalable."
  • "It's not the best of the best because we still have issues with downtime. We still have issues with the cost of storage, with all these different instance styles, and how much it costs. They cost an arm and a leg the higher you go."

What other advice do I have?

My advice to anyone considering this is that they need to evaluate if it's necessary to have EC2, or if it is cheaper to run something in-house. It's very important because you don't want to throw money at cloud service providers if you can do it yourself. But the good thing is that cloud service providers take care of all the infrastructure and everything so you don't have to worry about that. It's nice to also have someone else accountable for your every structure rather than employing so many people at your job to do the work. That's the only good side about it. It is easy to learn Azure…
Venkateswarlu Paturu
Service Delivery Manager / Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Oct 1, 2020
Good user interface with great built-in monitoring and very good documentation

What is our primary use case?

We've been using the solution basically for provisioning our development in a less production-heavy environment.

• "All of my lower maintenance overheads are taken care of. I don't have to worry about it."
  • "Technical itself could be a bit more helpful, especially when it comes to integration assistance. When we talk to the technical team, often it's some issue with integration and they'll tell us to talk to the other company. Often, the other company will look at everything and not see an issue from their end and then we are at an impasse."

What other advice do I have?

We're just a customer. I'd recommend this solution to others. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I'd rate it at a nine.
Learn what your peers think about Amazon EC2. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: February 2021.
464,655 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1406829
Lead Data Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
Aug 31, 2020
Offers compute services with a stable and maintenance-free structure, but the upgrade process needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for relational DB servers, application servers, and IaaS. We are also using it for SMTP and HTTP services, for compute services.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the ability to have standard operating systems along with the Windows, Linux operating systems, and their maintenance-free structure, which we prefer."
  • "One of the challenges is the AMI upgrades."

What other advice do I have?

Know your use cases. You have to analyze your load and use case before you select a particular EC2 machine. You also need to look into the availability and the stability of that particular version of EC2 that you are going for. Mainly Windows is secure, but Linus and others are difficult to secure. I would rate this solution a seven out ten.
reviewer1301412
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 1-10 employees
Nov 4, 2020
Encryption of the data being saved and cloud storage very helpful

What is our primary use case?

I build solutions in the infrastructure of my clients. I use Amazon EC2 in their AWS cloud. With EC2, there are many different operating systems that you can use. If we were to talk about the size, I use the T2 and T3 instances and central apps for production and for Windows.

• "The Key Management Service (KMS) feature is very helpful for security. It encrypts the data that is being saved. Cloud storage is also very helpful, and it could be AWS S3, which a lot of people use."
  • "They should fix the key pair name functionality and provide the ability to assign multiple key pair names to an EC2 instance. It is a key pair feature, and it provides you the ability to actually log into the server. It is basically like a password. In terms of new features, it should have the ability to increase and decrease the instance size based on certain times of the day. We should be able to do this without turning off the EC2 instance. Currently, you have to turn it off and then turn it back on. It should also have HTTPS or SSL integration."

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend identifying the active directory configuration of your clients. The majority of client type integrations will have some active directory involved, and they also have Office 365 now. Getting a better understanding of that configuration will help the solution implementer in using the AWS platform. I would rate Amazon EC2 a nine out of ten.
reviewer1257582
Associate Director at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Jan 17, 2020
Good virtual applications, excellent scalability and a straightforward setup

What is our primary use case?

Basically, whatever we're trying to do with physical VMs on-premise, we can directly replicate them on Amazon EC2.

• "The scalability of the solution is fantastic. It's one of our favorite features."
  • "The customization could be simplified."

What other advice do I have?

We use the cloud deployment model. I'd advise others to understand the costs involved before implementing the solution. There are transaction and storage costs as well as running costs. I'd rate the solution nine out of ten.
Product Categories
Compute Service
Download our free Amazon EC2 Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.