AT&T AlienVault USM OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

AT&T AlienVault USM is the #11 ranked solution in our list of top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. It is most often compared to Splunk: AT&T AlienVault USM vs Splunk

What is AT&T AlienVault USM?

AlienVault USM Anywhere is a cloud-based security management solution that accelerates and centralizes threat detection, incident response, and compliance management for your cloud, hybrid cloud, and on-premises environments. USM Anywhere includes purpose-built cloud sensors that natively monitor your Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure cloud environments. On premises, lightweight virtual sensors run on Microsoft Hyper-V and VMware ESXi to monitor your virtual private cloud and physical IT infrastructure.

With USM Anywhere, you can rapidly deploy sensors into your cloud and on-premises environments while centrally managing data collection, security analysis, and threat detection from the AlienVault Secure Cloud.

Five Essential Security Capabilities in a Single SaaS Platform

AlienVault USM Anywhere provides five essential security capabilities in a single SaaS solution, giving you everything you need for threat detection, incident response, and compliance management—all in a single pane of glass. With USM Anywhere, you can focus on finding and responding to threats, not managing software. An elastic, cloud-based security solution, USM Anywhere can readily scale to meet your threat detection needs as your hybrid cloud environment changes and grows.

1. Asset Discovery
  2. Vulnerability Assessment
  3. Intrusion Detection
  4. Behavioral Monitoring
  5. SIEM

Try USM Anywhere in your environment—free for the first 14 days.
www.alienvault.com/products/usm-anywhere/free-trial

AT&T AlienVault USM is also known as AlienVault, AlienVault USM, Alienvault Cybersecurity.

AT&T AlienVault USM Buyer's Guide

Download the AT&T AlienVault USM Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: September 2021

AT&T AlienVault USM Customers

Abel & Cole, Bank of Ireland, Bluegrass Cellular, CareerBuilder, Claire's, Hays Medical Center, Hope International, McCurrach, McKinsey & Company, Party Delights, Pepco Holdings, Richland School District, Ricoh, SaveMart, Shake Shack, Steelcase, TaxAct, Taylor Morrison, Vonage and Zoom

AT&T AlienVault USM Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about AT&T AlienVault USM pricing:
  • "Its price is in the medium to upper range."
  • "I don't know exactly, but I know it is based on the number of logs and the retention duration, such as 30 days or something like that. So, the smallest package is about 500 a month for 30 days of logs. There is a virtual machine. You need resources for it. It is a log collecting VM. They provide the software, and you just have to load a virtual machine. So, you're going to incur some CPU RAM and storage for wherever this log collecting appliance is running, which typically is in our cloud and on our platform for the customer."
  • "The licensing fees are dependent on usage."
  • "Its price is much lower than McAfee ESM."
  • "The price for this solution is very good, but since the features do not work the price is expensive."

JT
Owner at ThatsIT Consultants
An all-in-one package for monitoring components across the network

What is our primary use case?

General use cases would be for patch management and vulnerability management. The devices that are on the network may need patching if they're outdated. For any device or node that has entered the network and may be considered a threat, the HTTPS ports and different nodes need to be monitored for incoming and outgoing traffic. We could put in security rules for monitoring the actual devices down to the USP level, and we can also get the vulnerability information from OSX, and then provide that information to the IT teams. In terms of the version, usually, when the updates come, the updates… more »

• "In terms of monitoring, my best feature would be the monitoring of components across the network. It monitors the respective nodes and any new node that comes onto the network and provides reports. The reporting dashboards are really helpful for management in terms of making decisions around patch management."
  • "I've been using it just for my own personal upskilling in terms of how the product works. At the moment, it is pretty straightforward and simple, and it is working how it is supposed to. The feedback would come once it is deployed to customer sites. They'll be using it on a more frequent basis, and that's when the feedback would come in terms of the areas in which they're facing issues or are looking for simplicity."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend this solution, but I would also do a pre-assessment of the organizational setup and infrastructure. I'm a reseller, and it is obviously my top priority that we sell the product If you look at the Gartner Magic Quadrants, you will see AlienVault is up there in the upper right quadrant, which makes it one of the top recommended solutions. That is the reason for my partnership with AT&T Cybersecurity for the product. I would rate AT&T AlienVault USM a nine out of 10. No solution is 100% perfect.
DL
Solutions Engineer at a computer software company with 51-200 employees
MSP
Useful for compliance, very scalable, and pretty stable

What is our primary use case?

We use it for compliance. We're not using it as a security operation center type of thing. Its usage is more from an auditing standpoint at this point. We partner with them for customers who need something like a SIEM, so we're a cloud provider and integrator. It is deployed on the cloud. It is a combination of AT&T's own cloud and our cloud. We run our own infrastructure. So, it is a hybrid and private cloud.

• "We're using it more for reporting, that's all. We're using it to help our customers to pass any kind of audits that they receive."
  • "There could be some type of integration with our existing portal. We have our own customer portals, and it would be good if there was an integration so that our portal can provide reports. There could be some type of API into the AlienVault system with the USM system so that it is easy to show the customers high-level reports of the system through our portal."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise knowing your requirements and your data. What are you trying to protect or monitor? Before implementing something like this, you really should have basic security in place. You should have systems that are generating logs, for example, antivirus software and firewall. You have to have that all in place first to make this kind of product useful because this type of product is really meant to aggregate things after the fact. After you've put all the systems in place, then this system aggregates and collects everything together. You really need all the endpoint security, firewall…
Learn what your peers think about AT&T AlienVault USM. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
535,919 professionals have used our research since 2012.
John Stanford
Senior Network Architect / Network Team Leader at ICE Consulting. Inc.
Threat detection, incident response, and compliance management in an all-in-one solution

What is our primary use case?

We were trying to get into the security market to be able to offer something to our clients who are asking for a monitoring event management system. We started looking at what we could offer as an MSP to our clients; that's what drove us into evaluating different SIEM products, to get a better understanding of how the billing is set up as a partner. Alien Vault had the best set up for MSPs — the way they are set up for billing and the way they set up their USM account.

• "The other big selling feature for us was its integration capabilities with all the other security-based products."
  • "I'd like to see a dashboard that's a little more descriptive."

What other advice do I have?

Most of our clients are small to medium-sized businesses; they can't afford to go out and purchase a SIEM on their own. They're looking for us to provide something for them. This was why we provide HCZ cybersecurity and Alien Vault, etc. If you're in an MSP and you're servicing small to medium-sized clients, this is definitely a product that you want to look at and evaluate. When we were doing our evaluations, we were looking at the applications that are supported out-of-the-box, without having to develop any special ATIs — we wanted a pre-built application that supported most of the…
Sergey Kornienko
Director of Department at BAKOTECH LLC
Reseller
Good compliance, lots of useful features, and easy to scale

What is our primary use case?

We have three main uses for the solution. They are compliance, incident response, and as a tool for information security.

• "There are multiple tools for information security. The solution includes all the latest advances on the network and host intrusion detection systems."
  • "The solution already has quite good tools, however, they need better integration tools for linking with Office 365, Google Suite, and so on."

What other advice do I have?

We're not using the solution ourselves. We're resellers. USM Anywhere is cloud-based, although they have a different version that is on-premises or on a private cloud called the USM Appliance. We're using the on-premises version, which is quite different from the cloud version. Overall, I'd rate the solution nine out of ten. There are a few areas where they can improve, however, overall, it's been a very good product for us and our customers. We'd recommend the solution. We've looked into other options and we always come back to this product.
SH
Solutions Architect - Team Lead at a computer software company with self employed
Reseller
Easy setup with great security information management and very stable

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution for cybersecurity events and management.

• "The setup is very easy and straightforward."
  • "The solution is a bit complicated. It could be simplified quite a bit."

What other advice do I have?

We use both on-premises and cloud deployment models. We both use the solution and sell the solution as well. Overall, on a scale from one to ten, I would rate the solution at an eight. We're more focused on servicing medium to small businesses. This solution may not be suitable for a large enterprise-level organization. That said, we highly recommend it. I'd recommend that new users decide to first go for the trial. Take the trial and then make sure that you like it before investing in the subscription. The company offers a free trial - you might as well use it.
MF
Chief Operating Officer / SR. Project Manager with 1-10 employees
Helpful threat intelligence capability, but the reporting is mediocre

What is our primary use case?

We are a managed security service provider and we offer AlienVault USM to our clients. We use it to monitoring their environments and to maintain their logs.

• "The most valuable feature is threat intelligence."
  • "The reporting is mediocre and is something that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is considering this product is to evaluate all of the options that are out there. There is no one, great answer, so you have to figure out what best fits your needs. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
HH
Operation Manager at Checksum Consultancy
Easy to deploy, good integration with OTX, and good at asset discovery and vulnerability scanning

What is our primary use case?

We provide information security services to clients. We are seeking some clients to provide monitoring services by using AlienVault. We are also providing AlienVault USM Anywhere, which is cloud-based and has integration with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud.

• "Asset discovery and vulnerability scanner are good features. The integration between this solution and OTX, which is an AlienVault platform for Open Threat Exchange, is also a valuable feature. It is also quick and easy to deploy, so you can quickly engage with a customer's environment."
  • "Its reporting tools need improvements. It would be good if they can provide integration with other ticketing systems. Currently, we only have integration with Slack and Jira. It is also a bit slow, and its replication engine can be improved."

What other advice do I have?

I would encourage others to go with this solution because it is easy to deploy, and it provides good tools to know more about your network and the traffic on it. Its reporting needs some improvements, but it fulfills the needs. I would rate AlienVault USM an eight out of ten.
Alaa Mady
System Administrator at a insurance company with 51-200 employees
Unstable features, poor technology integration, and support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

I am using the solution for security information and event management.

• "The solution has all the features that we need, however they do not work correctly."
  • "In the future, I would like to see all these features of the solution working properly."

What other advice do I have?

I would not recommend anyone to use it. I rate ATT AlienVault USM a one out of ten.
See 1 more AT&T AlienVault USM Reviews
Download our free AT&T AlienVault USM Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.