Cato Networks OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

Cato Networks is the #1 ranked solution in our list of top WAN Optimization tools. It is most often compared to Zscaler SASE: Cato Networks vs Zscaler SASE

What is Cato Networks?

Cato connects your branch locations, physical and cloud datacenters, and mobile users into a secure and optimized global network in the cloud.

One Network, protected by One Security stack and enforcing One Policy.

The Cato Cloud Network is built on a globally distributed network of Points of Presence (PoPs). The PoPs are interconnected with an encrypted and optimized multi-carrier private backbone to ensure optimal global traffic routing. The Cato Cloud Network provides an affordable, SLA-backed, global enterprise network backbone.

Cato Networks Buyer's Guide

Download the Cato Networks Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

Cato Networks Customers

Paysafe, AdRoll, Pet Lovers Centre, Arlington Orthopedics, Humphreys & Partners Architects

Cato Networks Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Cato Networks pricing:
  • "You pay yearly based on the speed of your network. If you increase the speed of your network, you increase the cost for your throughput. It is by bandwidth for the most part and then licenses for VPN. There is some per-seat licensing for VPN access, but the majority of it is minimal. It is like $30 a year per client. The rest is based on how much bandwidth you'll use. You pay for that upfront for the year, and if you have to increase it, you increase it, and then they let you send more data through. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing fees."
  • "If you compare with VeloCloud, the price is the same or even cheaper."
  • "Cato Networks seems more expensive than Cisco Meraki."
  • "The price is not an issue for us, as it is priced more competitively than some other vendors."

Cato Networks Reviews

TE
IT Manager at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Easy to deploy, easy to manage, and helpful for network stability and reliability

• "The WAN aggregation feature is the most valuable."
  • "Its functionality is a bit limited in some areas as compared to a Cisco solution. It is not as granular. It doesn't have the manageability, feature set, and capabilities of a larger or an enterprise-level solution. It just needs a more robust feature set and granularity."

What is our primary use case?

It is a primary router for the network. It is a cloud solution with on-prem routers. Basically, we got a router here, and we utilize our network connections to get to Cato Network's cloud. We route our traffic through their cloud for security and everything else.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps with network stability and reliability.

What is most valuable?

The WAN aggregation feature is the most valuable.

What needs improvement?

Its functionality is a bit limited in some areas as compared to a Cisco solution. It is not as granular. It doesn't have the manageability, feature set, and capabilities of a larger or an enterprise-level solution. It just needs a more robust feature set and granularity.

I have been using this solution since June, that is, about six months.

Its stability is pretty good so far. I had a couple of minor issues here and there, but not too bad.

It is hard to say because we don't have a lot of demands or requirements for that. We're not a large shop, so we're not looking to expand so much that we would have to replace them, upgrade them, or push the boundaries of the current system. It is expected to last us for a while at this capacity and configuration. We have 200 users, and it is just a typical office warehouse environment.

They are good and responsive. They solved all the issues.

We were using Palo Alto.

It was pretty basic. It is easy to manage.

You require one experienced IT person for its deployment and maintenance. It wasn't complicated for me, but I've been around. Somebody new to IT or a desktop support guy won't be able to deploy it. Somebody who is a network person and has a good network or IT experience can deploy and manage it with little or no assistance in a company of our size.

We had support from Cato Networks. They helped us with the deployment, and they were good.

It is going to give a return on investment. We have AT&T, Comcast, and a couple of others, but AT&T stability was hit or miss, and it would go down. The ability for this system to handle outages on one circuit out of four meant that we didn't have any downtime because of one of our circuits going down or having a performance issue. It kept our network up, whereas our previous solution, even at the cost of it, had to fail over, and even when it failed over, there were manual things you had to do for the other issues, which caused the downtime.

You pay yearly based on the speed of your network. If you increase the speed of your network, you increase the cost for your throughput. It is by bandwidth for the most part and then licenses for VPN. There is some per-seat licensing for VPN access, but the majority of it is minimal. It is like $30 a year per client. The rest is based on how much bandwidth you'll use. You pay for that upfront for the year, and if you have to increase it, you increase it, and then they let you send more data through. There are no additional costs in addition to the standard licensing fees.

We looked at other SD-WAN solutions, such as Fellow Cloud, Palo Alto, and Cisco. There were a couple more in there. Price, capability, and ease of deployment and management made us go for Cato Networks.

What other advice do I have?

It is worth looking at for a small to medium size environment, but it has got to fit your situation. We don't use it for what it was really made to do. It just has one feature that affects us, so we use it for that. In all honesty, it is not something that we are really using to its full potential.

I would rate Cato Networks an eight out of ten. It is fairly new, so there are some things that it should do, and they're working on it.

AA
IT Manager / Project Coordinator at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
Integrates well with everything, technical support is very helpful, and it is all managed from a single pane of glass

• "It's a cloud-based solution that integrates well with everything."
  • "I would like to see better integration with identity providers."

What is our primary use case?

It's a network device that is used for WAN optimization and security.

What is most valuable?

It's a cloud-based solution that integrates well with everything. They are the classic SaaS solution.

We don't need to have a static IP from our provider, which saves us money.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see better integration with identity providers. Right now, they have Azure and they have Okta.

For directory synchronization they use LDAP, and it would be better if they moved away from this. My understanding is that they are already working on removing LDAP completely and using web-based authentication for the VPN users and other users. This is not something that is critical for me. I just set up the main services in Azure and use that. This is okay because we don't have a lot of remote users, perhaps 10 or 20 at the maximum, with VPN access. This may change in the future.

We are in the testing phase of this solution. I have been testing Cato Networks for one month.

During the testing period, there were no outages. Everything was smooth and worked well.

This is absolutely scalable, which was the reason we decided to go with Cato Networks.

Technical support is excellent. Even during our testing phase, they were able to set up at least three hours to walk me through and answer my questions.

They were knowledgeable and I would rate them a five out of five.

The initial setup was straightforward.

It's easy to set up and we just connect to their network.

As we are still in the testing phase, we have not implemented it yet. There will be some implementation, but it's pretty basic. There is no complex setup like you would have with Versa for example. For the most part, it's plug and play.

There were some questions that I had to ask them, but for the most part, I set it up myself.

If you compare with VeloCloud, the price is the same or even cheaper. Also, they include all of the security features, unlike VeloCloud.

We had evaluated others such as VeloCloud and vScaler.

The advantage of Cato Networks is that they have integrated steps, such as SD-WAN plus Network Security, plus VCNA altogether, in one management pane of glass. It's one place to manage everything.

With VeloCloud it's SD-WAN, and there is no security. You would still have to get a dedicated endpoint like a firewall if you want added protection then it would be harder to manage it centrally.

vScaler can be integrated, but then it drives the price up significantly. Also, it's not an ideal solution.

One of the advantages of Cato is that they provide a static IP from their cloud and assign it to us. This is a service that comes with an additional cost, but it's cheap compared to if I get it from my service provider.

Now that the trial period is almost over, I have decided that I am going to go with Cato Networks.

What other advice do I have?

My advice for anybody who is looking into Cato is to consider their environment. If they have a scenario where it is 80% cloud-based and 20% internal traffic, then Cato is a good choice. If on the other hand, they have internal applications with a data center then other solutions may make more sense. For us, since we are fully cloud-based, it is a better choice.

In summary, it is easy to implement and easy to manage. That said, there are always ways to improve.

I would rate this solution a ten out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about Cato Networks. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: October 2021.
542,608 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EP
IT Operations Manager at a insurance company with 201-500 employees
A straightforward enterprise networking and security solution

• "It's a pretty straightforward solution."
  • "The price could be better."

What is our primary use case?

We have the sockets on-premise, some little small boxes that connect to the internet. You could have multiple providers connected to the socket, which connects over the internet to their ports. We use their infrastructure as a service.

The solution's primary use case is to have redundant ISP internet links and use their network for security purposes, ease of administration, and management. We use their firewall as a service too.

What is most valuable?

It's a pretty straightforward solution, and anything beyond that, we can easily contact support and have them maintain it for us. It does what it's supposed to do, and I like it.

What needs improvement?

The price could be better. Because of the price, we are considering moving to Cisco Meraki. It's our understanding that we could accomplish the same thing for less money.

I've been using Cato Networks for about two years.

Cato Networks is stable. Everything is dependent on the bandwidth that comes from the ISP. Because we have multiple ISPs connected, if one is having an issue, the other connection isn't. We never really had any outages.

Based on what we have now, if we wanted more bandwidth, we would literally have to go to the internet provider for that. That's not really a Cato issue. Cato is, at best, the infrastructure, but you still need it from your ISP. If you under-subscribed, then you won't get the expected performance. You have to rightsize it depending on how many users are using it and all of that.

I believe in continuous improvement, but the challenges in the past, let's say we need to connect to a cloud service that you're not familiar with and we want to use Cato, we pretty much call support and tell them what we're trying to do. They bill us, and we pay for it. If you need additional network support from another vendor, we use a consultant between all parties to get the job done.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give technical support an eight.

We had Cisco ASA devices and firewalls. It had a lot of complexity, and you needed special technical skill sets on staff, which we didn't have. We just wanted a simpler solution to get the job done, and Cato provided it.

The initial setup is straightforward. If there's any complexity, usually they have some excellent support engineers on staff that we're able to work with, and they seem to make it seamless.

We use direct support from the vendor, and when we needed additional support, we had a consultant who specializes in Cisco.

Cato Networks seems more expensive than Cisco Meraki.

What other advice do I have?

On a scale from one to ten, I would give Cato Networks an eight.

JL
CTO at a retailer with 51-200 employees
Stable, easy to setup, the support is good, and it gives you higher internet bandwidth

• "The feature that I find to be the most valuable is the bandwidth aggregation."
  • "They can't do one-to-one NAT (Network Address Translation) in AP (their access point), and that is something that Palo Alto can do."

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case of this solution is to replace the routers we have and to combine the various ISP into one trunk.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us higher internet bandwidth.

What is most valuable?

The feature that I find to be the most valuable is the bandwidth aggregation.

What needs improvement?

I have been using this solution for a few months.

We are using the most current version. It's a SAAS solution.

Cato Networks is stable.

It seems to be scalable, but we are a small company. Everyone in the company uses it. We are using their VPN for everyone who is working at home. All of the internet traffic is flowing through it. We have 175 people int total.

The technical support is very good. I would rate them a nine or ten out of ten.

They have been quite good for us.

Previously, we were using Palo Alto.

We switched from Palo Alto because the renewal costs were getting expensive.

The initial setup is straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

It's a cloud solution. It has local hardware, but it's a could solution.

If it's a good use case for you, then it's a good solution. Cato Networks seems to do everything we wanted it to do.

I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.

Private Cloud

Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Yeong-Gi Lee
Network engineer at Snetsystems
Reseller
Stable and easy to set up with good technical support

What is most valuable?

The security is okay. The initial setup was pretty easy. The solution is very stable. The scalability is quite good.  Technical support was always helpful and responsive.  The integration capabilities are not a problem at all.

What needs improvement?

We would like the product to continue to improve its security.

While we are not using the solution currently, we recently used it, and have used it in the last 12 months.

The stability was good. I cannot recall dealing with bugs or glitches. It didn't crash or freeze. The performance was reliable.

We have found the scalability of the solution to be…

What is most valuable?

The security is okay.

The initial setup was pretty easy.

The solution is very stable.

The scalability is quite good.

Technical support was always helpful and responsive.

The integration capabilities are not a problem at all.

What needs improvement?

We would like the product to continue to improve its security.

We have found the scalability of the solution to be good. If a company needs to expand it, it can. It's not a problem at all.

We found the technical support to be good. they were helpful if we had questions. We were satisfied with the level of support.

The initial setup was not complex or difficult at all. It was straightforward. We found the implementation to be very easy to handle.

What other advice do I have?

We are a reseller of the product.

I would recommend this product to others.

I'd rate the solution, overall, at a seven out of ten. If the security on offer was better, I would rate it higher.

LS
Sr. Solutions Consultant Lead at MDI
Also functions as a next-gen firewall because it has security features

• "The most valuable feature is that it also works as a next-gen firewall because it has security features."
  • "They should add more sophisticated security features. It should also be integrated into the cloud."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case was to switch from MPLS to SD-WAN to minimize the cost. Also to have a cloud platform to transport traffic to different solutions to be more effective.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is that it also works as a next-gen firewall because it has security features.

Based on the resources I have read through, it's very scalable.

I haven't contacted technical support yet. We have our own team that maintains solutions.

We also used VeloCloud. It is a cloud-based application platform, it's integrated into the cloud that you don't need to have applianced, unlike Cato.

The initial setup was straightforward.

What other advice do I have?

If you really want to have a solution that has an easy deployment and provides SD-WAN and firewall abilities, go with Cato Networks.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Not a ten because they don't offer a VPN for the firewall. They should add more sophisticated security features. It should also be integrated into the cloud.

Hybrid Cloud
AV
Account Management Leader at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Setup is fast and straightforward

What is our primary use case?

We use Cato Networks inside our company for VPN connections to different company servers when we are working from home.

What needs improvement?

Cato Networks security could be better.

I've used Cato Networks for about two years.

Cato Networks works. I haven't had any trouble, and practically forget that I'm using it.

I'm using just a small part of Cato, so I cannot tell you anything about scalability.

I have not used Cato support.

What is our primary use case?

What needs improvement?

Cato Networks security could be better.

I've used Cato Networks for about two years.

I have not used Cato support.

Setting up Cato Networks was straightforward. There were no issues. Installation took a couple of minutes.

What other advice do I have?

I rate Cato Networks 10 out of 10. It's a good product.