Dell EMC Unity XT Overview

Dell EMC Unity XT is the #4 ranked solution in our list of best All-Flash Storage Arrays. It is most often compared to Dell EMC PowerStore: Dell EMC Unity XT vs Dell EMC PowerStore

What is Dell EMC Unity XT?

Dell EMC Unity, powered by Intel Xeon processors, delivers the ultimate in simplicity and value, enabling your organization to speed deployment, streamline management and seamlessly tier storage to the cloud.

Dell EMC Unity’s All-Flash and Hybrid Flash storage platforms optimize SSD performance and efficiency, with fully integrated SAN and NAS capabilities. Cloud-based storage analytics and proactive support keep you available and connected.

Dell EMC Unity XT is also known as EMC Unity, Dell EMC Unity.

Download the All-Flash Storage Arrays Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Dell EMC Unity XT Customers

Draper, Rio Grande Pacific, Royal Victoria Regional Health Centre

Dell EMC Unity XT Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

NH
Enterprise IT Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
We use replication for disaster recovery, making our disaster recovery process much easier

What is our primary use case?

It is for a customer who does virtualization.

• "We use replication for disaster recovery (DR), making our DR process much easier."
  • "I haven't seen the roadmap for this solution."

What other advice do I have?

The product has met all our expectations. Take a closer look at the price per gigabyte and the performance that you are getting with the solution.
LM
Solution Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
Reseller
The initial setup has straightforward and complex pieces

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is storage.

How has it helped my organization?

The solution helps us be more competitive in the market against our competitors.

What is most valuable?

We use replication. It has reduced complexity.

What needs improvement?

It is missing some features, like deduplication.

It is pretty stable.

It can scale.

The technical support is good.

The initial setup has straightforward and complex pieces, such as, the integration.

We have seen ROI

What other advice do I have?

We don't use the cloud options.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise and others in All-Flash Storage Arrays. Updated: June 2021.
512,221 professionals have used our research since 2012.
CD
Network Engineer at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
It sped up our environment and reduced our footprint

What is our primary use case?

This was for our SAN storage. Pretty much everything runs on this: databases, servers, etc.

• "We have resolved IT challenges with this solution. It sped up our environment. We went from spinning disk to all-flash, which reduced our footprint."
  • "Because we can do synchronous replication between the two sites, this made the setup challenging for this piece. They did not know how to set this up initially. We ended up having to do bidirectional synchronous replication."

What other advice do I have?

Overall, it is good product. If you are doing asynchronous replication, this is a great solution. If you are looking for a synchronous replication solution, I would recommend PowerMax.
AL
Administrador Almacenamiento-Respaldos at Exito
The initial setup and migration were straightforward, but the application's administration needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is NAS.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it for its quality and NAS.

What is most valuable?

It has good performance. The solution is extremely functional for the price that we pay for it. It is worth the investment.

What needs improvement?

The application's administration needs improvement and become better. It previously was better.

We use the product in development, not in production.

It is not stable enough.

Dell EMC has good technical support. We haven't had to use it for this product, but we have use it for other products and not had any problems.

How was the

MT
Engineer of IT Operations at a consultancy with 1,001-5,000 employees
Its compression is making a difference towards the amount of hardware that we need to purchase

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our data center and hypervisor cluster.

• "We can get almost real-time response times."
  • "I would like them to continue to build on the solution and expand on the functionality, like replication."
QB
Engineering Manager at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
MSP
Remote locations on a converged platform avoids the need for multiple storage systems

What is our primary use case?

We use it for both file and block in a converged system, supporting a VMware environment and virtualization. VMware is the primary use case.

• "The most valuable thing for our use case is the flexibility to have multiple-protocol support."
  • "We'd like to see a cheaper version of an all-flash array in that footprint."

What other advice do I have?

I give the solution an eight out of ten because it meets our use case very well. But it's an eight because nothing is perfect. There is always room for improvement, whether that be in the UI or something else.
Gopal Venkatraman
Senior Infrastructure Architect at a leisure / travel company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It is easy to deploy, but I would like secure mobile connectivity going forward

What is our primary use case?

We are using it mostly for VMware and Wintel. It is also for applications, like SQL, which need to be used on multiple different operating system, such as Windows, Linux, and sometimes Citrix. We use it with virtualized infrastructure. We use QoS and snapshots features, which I like.

• "It is pretty stable. I like the stability, because everything works like it should. We made it all redundant. So, we don't have anything to worry about."
  • "I would like to have secure mobile connectivity going forward. This would help me be more proactive."

What other advice do I have?

Everything is becoming virtual. Then, cloud transformation is being considered right now. Everybody is going over there. We want to evaluate everything, and if the cloud solution is good for us, we'll go there. Everything will be in the cloud.
MM
Storage Support Manager at Alinma Bank
Enables us to share files in a heterogeneous Unix/Windows environment

What is our primary use case?

We have different models of VNX and we have Unity. We use them for file sharing and for block serving in non-production systems. We don't have a dedicated application running on Unity, but we are using it and file sharing to run multiple systems, but it is not the core. It's used by a lot of applications, but we use it to share files between different applications on different platforms.

• "The valuable features of Unity include that it's flexible, has a friendly user-interface, and provides good performance."
  • "If you compare it with VMAX, where we communicate with the box through Solutions Enabler and there are a lot of commands and a lot of flexibility, the command line for Unity needs to enhanced."
AW
Lead Manager at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
It has sped up our entire architecture

What is our primary use case?

We use the Unity to back-end our VMware virtual stack. We run VMware vSphere on it. It's a hypervisor, and that is what we are required to run all our VMs for both Horizon and our internal services.

• "It has made deployment, configuration, and maintenance a lot simpler."
  • "The initial setup is not so straightforward if you don't have experience with storage arrays."

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking for a cost-effective, easy to use solution, which has scalability on a small-to-medium deployment, Unity is a very good solution for this. We are planning to use replication very soon, and we do use snapshots. We've been very happy.
Mike McCurdy
Solution Architect - Data Center at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
MSP
It has reduced the complexity and improved productivity tenfold compared to what it used to be

What is our primary use case?

We are using the All-Flash storage for block and file use cases. All of our corporate file shares and all of our VMware infrastructure items for manager service platforms are running off of Unity. We are running a hosted collaboration: video, voice, and all types of online collaboration solutions for our customers. We have been doing it for years and just needed to migrate to the next level.

• "A lot of the Unisphere interfaces are greatly improved in terms of monitoring capabilities, alerting, and ease of use. Setting up the storage and the file system are all just a few clicks away."
  • "It has improved the utilization of our own internal resources and performance across our managed service platform, meeting our customers SLAs."
  • "We noticed in the last release of code that there were some inefficiencies around getting our data efficiency up in terms of dedupe and compression."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the product an eight out of ten, which is higher than I would rate other arrays in the mid-range space.
RC
IT Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
It's easy to provision, and It's stable

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary storage. It is just for VMWare with a lot of Fail Over clusters. For our mission critical applications, we run SQL, Oracle, Fail Over server clusters, VMWare, and databases. We use it for our primary VMWare environments, with a VPLEX, just for failover and performance. We use it for Windows Plus! because you need shared storage. In addition, we use it for healthcare systems. We only use it for block storage. We don't use any other features. We have a VPLEX for applications.

• "It is ease to use. It performs. It's easy to provision, and It's stable."
  • "I would like better monitoring capabilities: more historical data with more insight into the performance for the database. We now use a separate tool for it. Therefore, it would be nice if we could have that straight from the tool."

What other advice do I have?

It does what it needs to do that is the reason why we bought it. We are not interested in the cloud option.
MW
Director of Technology at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
Gives me flexibility with its ability to replicate to itself

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our primary storage platform. All of our primary VMs run off of it.

• "It gives me the flexibility with its ability to replicate to itself and the ability to use the Dell EMC Cloud as an option. That's always sitting there and waiting if we need it."
  • "What I'd like to see is a little more detail on the networking side. I can go into where it's showing me the replication, but when I go into the network it just gives me broad-based information. I don't know which replication job is actually feeding it. I have to go in and rely on other apps."

What other advice do I have?

Find out your needs before you look at your options. Everyone's going to tell you theirs is the best but you need to know what you need going in, and what kind of performance level you need. If they're not willing to do a PoC then don't do it. If they're not willing to put their product out there and compare it with another product, then don't even consider them. I would give it an eight out of ten. It has some deduplication to try to reduce some of the overlap that VMs, by nature, have. But I feel that could be better to try to save on storage. Also, better reclaimed-space management on it…
MH
Senior Director at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our converged infrastructure in our VxBlock. We put all our applications on it since it is our back-end storage. We have just one storage area that we dump everything on and scrape for all of our mixed workload use.

• "It is lightning fast, low on power and heat, and has a small footprint with great performance."
  • "As the solution continues to grow and gain more traction, things will come up that will just continue to deepen the integration between VMware, vCenter, and all those other components. Anything in the divisibility there and additional tools is always great."

What other advice do I have?

It is lightning fast, low on power and heat, and has a small footprint with great performance. If you don't know your mixed use case, or what you're going to do with it, it's a nice mixed use storage subsystem. It easily integrates with great visibility. It is very easy to maintain and operate. It is just a nice platform, especially if you're setting yourself in a new direction and you don't quite know what you're doing.
DT
Senior System Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
The ease of the UI means it's not a very complicated system to manage

What is our primary use case?

Right now, Unity is a backup target. The IT challenge we resolved with this solution was having a backup target. With Unity we've got DDVE, or Data Domain Virtual Edition loaded. It was an array that was not being used for anything in particular and we had a need for the data domain capacity, so we're using it as a backup target under DDVE.

• "For me, the most valuable feature is the ease of management."
  • "There's always room for improvement with the UI. That can be a little cumbersome at times."

What other advice do I have?

Unity is solid and there is not anything to be afraid of in purchasing it. I would recommend it. Ours is not a very complicated use case and the performance has been adequate for what we've tasked it to do. I give the Unity a ten out of ten for two reasons: * reliability * ease of use.
JD
Senior Engineer at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Easy administration reduces our admin needs, resulting in less overhead

What is our primary use case?

We use it for data storage, for file.

• "Unity's are more easily administrated, so we need fewer people to do the administration. We have less overhead because of that."
  • "We went to the PowerMax because of the needs that we have for the business. We're doing true enterprise-level storage. So we went from Unity to PowerMax to give us that tier that we were looking for."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to take this solution. It does what it tells you it's going to do. Instead of using multiple types of backup or file storage, we were trying to combine all of that into Unity. Now we're trying to refresh that again and go with the newer technology, the enterprise-level storage. Unity met our overall performance expectations for what it is, and then we obviously needed the enterprise level, so we're going with the PowerMax now. I would rate Unity at eight out of ten. Any application or product has room for improvement. I don't see anything out there that's a ten. Unity is…
PG
Analytics and Sustainment Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 201-500 employees
Our users don't have any technical needs because it's up and running

What is our primary use case?

We use it for replacing legacy storage. It's just a one-for-one. This is primarily for storage and the data aspect of it.

• "We have Dell EMC engineers helping us out and doing some over the shoulder training. They are working with our customer right now doing data migration over to Unities from the legacy Oracle stuff. While they're doing this, they're showing people how the Unities work and the ins and outs of the software interface."

What other advice do I have?

Do the due diligence and look at the details: the specs of the product and scalability. There are multiple series of products in the Unity line, which are very simple to use. It's met all of our expectations. Our users don't have any technical needs because it's up and running. Overall, we are very excited about the product.
    Albie Bokingkito Jr.
    Storage and System Engineer at Thales Services SAS
    MSP
    Has CloudIQ integration, but storage groups are no longer available

What is our primary use case?

We bought a couple of 450F and 650F to replace our ageing VNX family. The primary use case is for block storage, and VMware for our tier-2 applications.
    it_user793173
    IT Infrastructure Manager at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
    Gives us an advantage over traditional storage resources

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution for our databases. We also use some of the applications provided.

• "We like the way it integrates with our environment. These features help us use multiple soft applications. The new features of going off the grid and replicating really help us. They give us an advantage versus traditional storage resources."
    • "We would like an AI feature that would protect the backup and minimize the consumed space so we can maintain the quality of the backup. This would help us minimize our IT cost in terms of the backup procedures."
    BB
    Systems Engineer at a financial services firm with 501-1,000 employees
    It is easy to scale, maintain, and manage. However, the support portal needs fixing.

What is our primary use case?

It is used for deduplication and encryption.

How has it helped my organization?

Easy to scale Easy to maintain

What is most valuable?

Easy to use management. I like that it is wizard-driven. In past iterations, it has made it easier to cross-train the team.

It is very stable.

The scalability definitely meets our businesses requirements. It is highly scalable.

The technical support is good. However, the support portal needs fixing. Accessing a service request on the support portal seems to be a bit difficult, as opposed to just calling the 800 number. I do think it has improved over…
    AP
    Storage Solutions Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
    Saves us time when provisioning new storage

What is our primary use case?

We use it for mass and block storage. We have not had issues nor performance problems with it.

• "They have a Unity REST API that I use to automate some of the storage stuff. I'm just getting started with it, but it seems pretty easy to use."
    • "It has saved us time when provisioning new storage, so we're trying to automate that process."
    • "Compared to our old platform, everything is more tightly integrated. I don't have to go to different sections to do something. A lot of it is wizard-driven, so it's an easy to use system."
    • "Integration; We use the product with VMware, and also use it with Syft for home directory and departmental shares."
    • "Dell EMC Unity's competitor, NetApp, has a similar product. However, it has a clustering technology where you can group multiple systems together, then you can move data from one system to another seamlessly. I would like the Unity to do that."
    • "It would be nice to have been able to easily move off our old VNX system to this system. The process is very manual."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product. We use the product with VMware, and also use it with Syft for home directory and departmental shares. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Support. * How long the company has existed. * Is it an established company and product? * Performance.
    DC
    IT Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
    Consistency Groups and integration of SAN and NAS make replication simple for us

What is our primary use case?

We use it for SAN and NAS, pretty much all of our VMware and ERP systems; everything for storage. It' working out very well. We just moved into it

• "They've integrated NAS and SAN pretty well. It made replication very simple. Because one of our systems has a lot of LANs, for it to replicate we have Consistency Groups in there. That's something that is really helpful, making sure that everything is working not just for replication but for backups as well."

What other advice do I have?

It's a really good buy. We're about to replace a VNX with a Unity in our DR facility. We love that it's only taking about half a rack of space versus the rack-and-a-half that we have for the VNX. That's really good. We're going to be doing SAN to SAN replication. We currently have that going on between the Unity and the VNX using RecoverPoint Appliances, but then it's going to be Unity to Unity after we're done. I'm very happy with the Unity right now.
      JB
      Network Administrator at a government with 11-50 employees
      The solution is so easy to manage that I forget it is there

What is our primary use case?

We use it for post to all our data stores or virtual environment. We have had no performance issues.

• "The solution is so easy to manage that I forget it is there."
      • "The iSCSI and the VMware integation using vSphere could be less confusing."

What other advice do I have?

Spec it out with bigger drives than you think you will need, because when you do expand, you're going to wish you had done that. If you buy bigger drives than what you currently have in a RAID, now you have to have a separate data storage. You can't have one continuous data store. For some people, that might be okay, but we really didn't want that but we were forced into having that. We do integrate with vSphere. We tried Hyper-V and immediately regretted that decision and went back to vSphere. Right now, that is the only utilization and there are costs involved with the VMware integraton…
      KY
      Systems Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Easy to set up, easy to monitor, and the reliability is excellent

What is our primary use case?

All of our servers are Dell EMC servers. We have it integrated with SharePoint and all of our applications.

What other advice do I have?

I always recommend Dell EMC servers in general, as far as their reliability goes and the management software built in. I rate it at nine out of ten. Overall, we're very happy with the product. It's not perfect, there are little bits of improvement that could be made to things that we use such as Dell EMC OpenManage Essentials, minor things. It's good, just not perfect.
      RV
      Systems Administrator at a government with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Good interoperability with the other components of the system, stable solution

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization. We have integrated it with Exchange and VMware vSphere. This is actually part of a delivered solution. We have a VCV block, into which the Unity is embedded. The Unity is one of three components. We've got compute and networking in there. The overall product, with Unity being a component, is fine. And individual Vblocks are fine, but the stretched vCenter that we have was complex. Their product is called VPLEX and it was expensive.

What other advice do I have?

If it's a value for your company then I'd recommend it. For us, it was expensive, but it was of value to us. However, I wouldn't go through that again. We are targeting hyperconverged now, as opposed to converged. It was a bit overwhelming. From the VCE perspective, the individual Vblocks were very well executed, but they didn't seem to know the VPLEX product very well, and that was nail-biting.
      BS
      VP IT at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
      Good performance for the price point, easier to administer than some of the alternatives

What is our primary use case?

We were looking for an option for an all-flash array with a lower cost than the XTremIO.

• "The most valuable feature is the performance. It's still an all-flash array at a good price point."
      • "It needs deduplication. We'd like to have the dedupe capabilities in the Unity."

What other advice do I have?

Weigh your options. The landscape has changed a lot since we bought it, it's been a couple of years. It's a good product but you will certainly want to survey the landscape. The most important criteria when choosing a vendor include the longevity of the product, certainly ongoing support as well. I've got a good relationship with Dell EMC, we like the product. If I'm not mistaken it was based on the VNX platform; it's basically an all-flash version. We had some familiarity with it and the all-flash piece was very compelling. I would rate it at eight out of ten. There are just a few features…
      LL
      Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
      Reseller
      Just works, and is relatively feature-rich, but cloud analytics could be better

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is virtualization.

• "There are a lot of things that can be done with it. It's got Cloud IQ, but I think it's not as mature as it could be, they could make it more effective. They could make it more comparable to some of the other products out there that have cloud analytics. The amount of insight that the Unity product is able to give, at this point, is okay, but not class-leading. Some of the other data-reduction technologies, like deduplication, are not to the level of other competitors and what their products provide."

What other advice do I have?

It's going to be hard for Dell EMC to really rebuild Unity because Unity, in my opinion, is still a more traditional array. Although they've improved the code, there's only so much they can do, because it's based on technology that's over ten years old. So, for them to make it more next-generation would be difficult. You're getting a tried and true product and you're slapping feature sets on top of it, which is good, but it's not going to be a true next-generation product. And that's okay, it's intended for a certain use case and it works well. It's better than an average product but it's not…
        Marc Mooney
        Operations Supervisor at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
        Easy to use and configure, and significantly reduced our data center footprint

What is our primary use case?

We have Dell EMC Unity XT in one of our branch office data centers, and we use it for a small number of users. It's a first step into the flash storage system for us. It has worked very well for us. We're very happy with how it works. We're a VMware house, so we've integrated it into ESX and we use it as our target environment for vRA. It's worked really well. We've had it just about over two years now, and it's performing very well. It has fulfilled all our needs. We've had none of the I/O issues that we had seen on our previous SAN. It's worked really well.

What other advice do I have?

If you're looking at a flash-based system, one that you want to work and not to have to play around with it - to be sure it's working all the time - Unity is definitely a step in the right direction for any company, going forward. In terms of the purchasing process, we came from the EMC side. It was our first branch into flash after using EMC for so long. It's worked flawlessly, so we have no issues there. I rate this solution at eight out of ten. Nothing's perfect. It's very hard to make something perfect. Being an eight, it's a really good model for any company to choose. It's a realistic…
        Jimmy Bortzfield
        Virtualization engineer at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
        It can quickly integrate with VMware and has the ability to stand up a data store in one place

What is our primary use case?

The speed and performance that we get through the SSD hard drives. That's a big factor for us.

• "Its quick integration with VMware. The ability to stand up a data store in one place, where you don't have to go and rescan for the data store through the vCenter Client, as well as SMB shares. This ended up being a big selling point for us."
        • "I don't know where the hybrid cloud might be going or what connectivity there is between what was recently released as far as AWS and being able to manage both of them. Maybe there is an on-prem and an AWS instance in the same window, like a single pane, but I would like to see something along those lines, where there wouldn't be two locations to manage storage."

What other advice do I have?

Do a little research into how you will create your storage groups. Ensure they have all lined out prior to going in and making one single storage group take up all the hard drives which we've seen some individuals do before and have to break it back down and start over. Definitely manage out what you want to place on the SSDs or on that Unity for your quickest response time. We've made sure that all of our high availability productions devices are on the Unity. We have Hyper-V and VMware running on the Unity. We have moved Exchange off into Exchange Online onto the cloud. We did most of the…
        AH
        SAN Administrator at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
        Dynamic Pools allow us to pop in one or two drives when needed, instead of adding a whole RAID set

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case for Unity - we use the All-Flash, we don't use the Hybrid array - is as our go-to source for all of our virtualized Oracle Databases. We've moved about 95 percent of our Oracle Databases to Unity. There are a few extremely high-profile databases that nobody wants to move. Nobody wants to touch them. But pretty much everything else is on Unity. We're starting to branch out and put just regular, general purpose load on there. And we also recently put all of our Exchange environment on there as well. We started going down the path of doing the vCenter integration, but we just… more »

• "I don't think I've ever seen latencies above 10 milliseconds unless it was something that wasn't the array that was messing up. The thing is rock-solid."
        • "The UI itself is fantastic, and the ease of administration is far better than Unisphere or Navisphere ever were. It's very easy to manage. The fact that it has built-in APIs means our automation people can help us automate a lot of tasks, and that has been helpful. And, of course, it's really fast. Obviously, that doesn't hurt anything at all."
        • "We just recently started using the Dynamic Pools, so while it's scalable, we actually find it valuable that we can just pop in one or two drives when we need to, instead of having to add a whole RAID set. That has actually been very handy for us."

What other advice do I have?

A piece of advice when it comes to research is to try to find another company that's using what you're considering. After you talk to the salespeople, after you get the dog and pony show, have them connect you with somebody who's using it, who they trust - maybe even someone you know or have some contact with - and get their thoughts about it. You usually get a lot more truth from those kinds of conversations.
          RM
          Cloud Engineer/System Administrator at a aerospace/defense firm with 10,001+ employees
          Simpler to use than our previous solution, we're able to manage our users more easily

What is our primary use case?

Our primary usage is for our users on our civilian side. We deal with both military and civilian, but it's mainly for our civilian users. We recently started using it, six months ago. Our customers like it a lot. It's an improvement from what we were using. We use it for our Outlook and Exchange but we haven't implemented with our VMware yet.

What other advice do I have?

If a friend or colleague was using the equipment that we were using beforehand, we'd definitely tell them to transition over because it is a lot easier to use. I'd rate it about a nine out of ten. It's smooth, has been an easy transition, the interface is a lot easier than the one we were working with. The setup was easy and we haven't had any problems with it. Of course, it's not perfect, but it's really good equipment.
          SB
          Senior IT Business Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
          We look to update our datastores while operational, but we have had hardware issues

What is our primary use case?

We use it for ESXi data stores and performance seems to be okay so far. We've only had it a couple months. We have it integrated with VMware.

• "We've got an ongoing issue with a Unity where some power supply fans spin up. We've had a whole bunch of hardware changed as a result but I still have an open SR which has been a struggle. It doesn't seem to affect performance, but it's something that we're hoping the engineers can resolve. Also, we had some issues with an upgrade where we can't manage a device, after the upgrade. So we had to have a ticket in for that."
            • "Licensing has been quite difficult. It doesn't always auto-license. About half the time, when I provision one, I have to contact Service to get a license, or even go to our account manager to help get it straightened out."

What other advice do I have?

Study the configurations of what you need to use and ensure you understand what you're provisioning. The procurement process can be a little daunting because there are a lot of features and there are a lot of components that you'll get set up with but which you may not need. When selecting a vendor, what's important for me are global, 24-hour support; being able to get things fixed. After that, price, because we'll probably buy a thousand of them over time.
            CA
            Helpdesk Supervisor at a logistics company with 501-1,000 employees
            Significant increase in boot speed of our SQL Servers has notably reduced downtime

What is our primary use case?

We use it to high-speed all of our SQL Servers.

• "Being all-flash makes everything super-fast. It's also great to manage. That's the easiest part. We also have another SAN, from Pure, and the Unity is easier to manage than the Pure."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure you have all your ducks in a row when you finish. Make sure they understand the type of support that you want, make sure the licensing is clear, make sure it has all the features you want. The purchasing process was actually incredibly easy. We had a vendor to go through. She was able to clear everything up. When we were trying to look at it ourselves, it was a little bit convoluted. But once we had her help explain it through, it became easier. They have a good product. It's great for what it does. The surrounding pieces are where everything gets tricky.
              AP
              Storage Architect at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
              API enables me to set auto expansion of end-user's home directory when close to capacity

What is our primary use case?

We use it for our NAS systems and our SAN systems. On the NAS side, it's used for our end-users' home directories and Departmental shares. On the block side, we use it for VMware storage and we have it integrated with VMware. There was no additional cost for that integration.

• "We just started doing a bunch of automation where, if an end-user's home directory or departmental share gets filled, I can set certain things through a Unity API so that if it reaches 95 or 98 percent full, it will automatically expand. Now, instead of our getting a ticket and having to go in and do it manually, it does that for us."
              • "Dell EMC's competitor has a clustering technology. In the next release, it would be nice if they could build that into the product."

What other advice do I have?

In terms of the purchase process, we work with a rep. We have biweekly meetings. They're always on site. We worked with the Dell EMC sales engineer, making sure we got the right kind of drives, the right kind of performance, etc.
              Rob Koper
              Senior Storage Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
              Hybrid version is fast, has automated storage tiering; all-flash version provides higher performance, compression, data replication

What is our primary use case?

Primary use is mid-range storage. We have two variants, we have the hybrid version and the all-flash version. It's for general use. For high performance, we have different systems.

• "In the hybrid version, I would say they are fast. They have fully automated storage tiering. In the all-flash version, higher performance, compression, data replication."
              • "Things that could be improved include one-to-many replication, data deduplication, and asynchronous Fibre Channel replication. It is asynchronous on iSCSI and I would like to have that on the Fibre Channel. Unisphere-wise, I have to log in to each Unity as a unique environment. In VNX, I logged in to the domain and I was logged in to every VNX. So that's missing."
              • "I miss storage groups. Now, if I have to add a LUN to a cluster, multiple host, I have to know which host is in that cluster. I have to write it down and that makes it hard. In VNX and earlier, I could simply put a LUN on a storage group and every host in the group had the LUN. This lack bothers me a lot because it takes a lot of time and mistakes are made. Sometimes, a Hyper-V host gets a VMware LUN and vice-versa. Not good."

What other advice do I have?

The hardware is fine, a nine or a 10 out of 10. Manageability is a seven or eight out of 10, because of the storage group and the domain absence. Overall, if I put the two together, the solution is a nine out of 10. My advice would be to stick with VNX. If the developers come up with a solution for single sign-on for multiple Unity's, and if they bring back the storage groups, I'm fine with it. It's a good solution.
              RB
              Senior Systems Engineer at BBH Solutions
              Faster performance, smooth migration, good uptime, and easy management are the keys

What is our primary use case?

It's our primary storage array. We have a public cloud hosted internally, and it's our primary storage array for our customer virtual machines. It has performed very well. There have been no problems with it. We've had it for about nine months and it has performed well.

• "Storage Snapshots have been really nice. They allow us to do backups without impacting our production workload that much. The scalability, the ability to add disks dynamically and adjust our workload as needed, has also been really helpful. That definitely makes my job easier. And the interface for managing Unity is very easy. The integrations between VMware Hypervisor and Dell EMC are top-notch, so it's been really easy to use and manage."
              • "My only complaint would be some of the CLI Help files could be a little more detailed, but that's very minor complaint. We were trying to run some commands just to see how the storage snaps were interacting with the storage array, and it was a little difficult to look up exactly what commands should be run. The Help files detailing what exactly the commands did wasn't as detailed as we would have wanted them to be."
              • "More integration with VMware would always be helpful, plugins that go directly into the vSphere management. A single pane of glass is always beneficial."

What other advice do I have?

Ownership simplicity is there. Licensing was straightforward. We've always had good support from Dell EMC, we've never had a problem with them. Their solution engineers are always very helpful. So overall, no problems with ownership. I give the Unity a nine out of ten. The Help files and a little more integration would be nice.
              AD
              Infrastructure Team Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
              Simple to set up, use, and manage - it has been hands-off since we configured it

What is our primary use case?

We have it set up for storage for VDI. It is as advertised: Very easy to set up, very easy to manage, and the performance is great. We have integrated the solution with Horizon VDI and there was no additional cost to do so.

What other advice do I have?

So far, it has done everything that they say, in demos, it will do. I cannot stress enough how simple and easy it is to set up and use and manage. That's it. Regarding simplicity of ownership, everything that we've experienced so far has been very easy to deal with. We already have a Dell EMC rep who handles all of our licensing and notifications, keeping us up to date on that. Management of it and service have been very positive, nice and simple. It was also very easy to order. We have had a relationship with our Dell EMC reps in Kansas City for the last 12 years, so getting in touch with…
              CK
              Head Of IT at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
              The NAS capability is the main feature we are looking for, and the fast recovery in DR

What is our primary use case?

We did a one-month exercise with EMC. We are trying to replace several systems, like NAS and some file shares, put them into one consolidated system. We do have VDI. We're going to re-use it for VDI, so this is the perspective we're trying to evolve toward.

• "The NAS capability is mainly what we're looking for from this product, and being able to recover fast in DR."
                OJ
                Senior IT Systems Engineer at a aerospace/defense firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                Integrates easily into our current environment and NAS is extremely simple to set up

What is our primary use case?

We use it for enterprise SAN. We have multiple units. We just started getting them in and the performance has been good. It back-ends our enterprise Oracle, which is for our financials. We have some Mission-Support applications that it supports as well. We have both structured and unstructured data.

• "The NAS is also extremely easy to set up."
                • "On the data domains - for the Unity product, but specifically for data domain - I would like a much easier interface for managing, for actually going in and having one place where I could get all of the different parts of the overall unit. And I would also like to be able to identify individual disks a lot more easily."

What other advice do I have?

It's a good product and you should definitely evaluate it. We're concerned about standardization, so even if a product has something that's better - one item, one capability that's better - we probably wouldn't go with it and would rather standardize across, for support and everything else. That's important to us. For the purchasing process, we'll go to the vendor, we'll give them our requirements, and we'll work out the final design. They'll give us a quote and then we'll get two more quotes from two other vendors. We're required to get three quotes. I then put that in through my finance and…
                AT
                Storage and Virtualization Engineer at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                Gives us the ability to provision storage from the CLI, but needs native replication

What is our primary use case?

Primarily we use it for our file side storage. It's pretty solid. It's tied into our VMware environment for the virtual storage, but Exchange doesn't run on it. It's mostly just Windows File Servers at this point. We had some issues with it in the beginning, but Dell EMC took care of them and it has just been sitting there running ever since. We haven't had any real problems since then.

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to provision storage from the CLI, versus having to go in and use the GUI every time. I can just script it out and it will create what I need. That makes it super-easy to manage. Also, for us, it's a set-and-forget. Once we provisioned it out, we haven't had to mess with it."
                • "It could always use native replication. Then I could get rid of RecoverPoint."

What other advice do I have?

It really depends on your specific needs: if it's speed or if it's longterm storage. Dell EMC has a whole array of products. I would say go for it. We used to push the Isilon a lot, that's super cheap and deep, and that's been rock solid as well, but you lose that block functionality. You really need to go to the Unity. I would definitely do the Unity over the SC. It was pretty easy to order. We got rezoned when Dell took over, so our sales rep is out of a different state. But, as far as going through our partner, it was perfectly fine, like any other normal purchase. I would rate the Unity at…
                MU
                Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                Does complete LUN deployment for us, but we have had issues with the stability

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use Dell EMC Unity XT for SAN storage for ESX data stores. It has been performing okay. We have integrated it with VMware. We do have iSCSI LUNs for some Microsoft Windows servers as well, but not many.

• "I like the integration into VirtualCenter. I used to have to add LUNs manually, then scan them in and format them. It does that all for you, all in one, immediate deployment of LUNs."
                • "It does great deduplication. From a storage perspective, we save money being able to dedupe right on the disk"
                • "I would like better integration with RecoverPoint. My major issue with the solution, all around, has been RecoverPoint more than Unity. While I like the easy user interface, I would like some more advanced features for troubleshooting built into the product, so that we can do more in-depth problem-solving."
                • "Stability is the problem. We've had stability issues with it. We've had problems with the iSCSI interface. We've had it for two years now and for two years we've had problems where a service processor will drop, we'll lose connectivity to LUNs, we'll lose connectivity to the storage, issues like that. No matter how we've tried to chase it down, everybody just points fingers at each other. The only thing that changed in our environment was that the Unity solution was installed."

What other advice do I have?

Test it really well first, and get somebody who knows what they're doing to set it up. The VAR that we were referred to was terrible. That was the root of a lot of our problems. If we didn't have the problems that we had with it - all the problems that I highlighted above - it would be definitely a ten out of ten. But given those problems, and the fact that one of them has been going on for two years and we still don't have a solution, and the Unity is the only factor that changed in the environment...
                TG
                Consultant at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                With a click, we can deploy a data store or LUN to the ESX host

What is our primary use case?

For most of our general-purpose cluster, we are using a Unity as Tier 2 and Tier 3 storage. Earlier, we were using a VNX box. Compared to VNX we are getting better performance.

• "Via a click, we can deploy a data store or LUN to the ESX host. We can also deploy VVOLs to the ESX server."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend Unity because, compared to VNX and other storage solutions, it is the easiest way to deploy for VMware and physical operating system services. Regarding ownership, it is very easy. It's a single point of contact. We have the type of support from Dell EMC where, in case of any failure, we get an immediate response from them. For the purchasing process, we just validate the bill of materials and then we reach out to the Dell EMC salesperson to get it delivered to our data center. We are working on the vSphere integration. Once that integration is done we will easily…
                  DH
                  Manager of Storage and Backup at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                  Replication is a key feature for us and the file services interface is nice

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is mid-tier processing for our hospitals. We have a lot of VM infrastructure on the Unity, but not our most mission-critical. The performance has been great.

• "The replication is big for us. We use file services on Unity and it has a really nice file services interface. It's also easy to manage. It's really easy in terms of provisioning, replication. There are no real tricks to it. It's just easy."
                  • "The biggest one for us, and the reason we don't use it more, is that we can't throttle the replication speed. If it's on, it's on. So we have to be a little more WAN-sensitive, in some applications, which means we can't put it everywhere. That's the biggest issue for us, by far."

What other advice do I have?

I would definitely recommend it and have recommended it. We're pretty large, but I think for most companies it probably is the array that's going to work the best, especially for a VM workload. If you don't want to invest in a VMAX, this makes a lot of sense. It fits that price profile really well. It's an entry-level, all-flash array for us. So stuff that we don't want to go on VMAX or XtremIO, we can put right on the Unity and feel pretty comfortable that it's going to do what we need it to do, as far as performance goes. Unity falls right in, with it being the successor to the VNX line. It…
                  David Silberhorn
                  Senior Systems Engineer at Midland States Bank
                  Solid, easy to manage, and improves the efficiency of our reporting environment

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our reporting environment, business intelligence and analytics. We run our Oracle and SAS-based applications on it right now. The performance is sufficient and we don't have any complaints about it.

• "I called about an issue where I couldn't get VVOLs registered. It turns out it is a bug in the code and that there is no information about when it will be fixed. It's just not going to work. I was a little miffed about that."

What other advice do I have?

Vet out your use case sufficiently, make sure you understand what you are trying to achieve and how you are trying to achieve it. Do your best to leverage the gambit of functionality, as opposed to focusing on one area. I rate it at eight out of ten. The best would be no issues, no concerns. I can't imagine I'd give anyone a ten, to be honest. To achieve that is pretty hard. I wouldn't not recommend Unity.
                    MM
                    Network Administrator at a construction company with 201-500 employees
                    Speed is the reason we got it but we are able to easily create LUNs as well

What is our primary use case?

Our Unity arrays are our primary storage arrays for both of our data centers. We run all our VMs on there, they're all-flash. They've been running great. We've had no problems with them. Fantastic.

What other advice do I have?

My advice is, obviously, to go with something tailored to your needs. For what this has been, a full flash array and ease of setup, from what I've had experience with, I would probably recommend the Unity array. We plan to eventually use the VMware integration. There is a little bit that we're using right now but it's not the whole vSAN setup. I don't believe there will be a cost involved with that. It's just a matter of taking the time and getting it set up. Right now, we just have it set up as a simple SAN array. Nothing is ever perfect. It would have to be perfect to be a ten out of ten…
                    it_user513312
                    Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                    Reliable, plugins are mature, and it gets the job done

What is our primary use case?

We're using it for block storage in a lab, supporting Fortune 500 customers, testing out solutions. We have a number of other competitive solutions in the lab and we try out upgrades for customers, we test out all the different features and functions. Performance of the system is fine, I really don't have any issues with the actual raw IO of the system, but the competitors are pushing a lot of all-flash solutions in front of us. We're not doing any integrated Snapshotting of the applications. Some of our team is working on being able to Snapshot Oracle RAC clusters but, for the most part… more »

• "It is completely reliable. The plugins for it are quite mature. I don't really have any issues with the interactions with vSphere, they all work as intended."
                    • "In future releases, I would like to see automatic upgrades from one to the next, when this system is coming out and the next one is coming in; more akin to what Pure Storage is doing. That would be really helpful."
                    • "The upgrade process needs improvement. I should be able to swap it out, with zero downtime, with another array, down the road. I don't think Dell EMC has anything in the roadmap for this product line. I just don't want to have to deal with that anymore and all of our customers are pretty much the same."

What other advice do I have?

Unity is a lot like "no one gets fired for buying IBM." I think you will get what you pay for, but a lot of competitors have better efficiencies, better programs, easier installations. I'd be looking elsewhere. I don't feel the product is the leader in the market anymore. I rate the Unity at eight out of ten. It gets the job done, it does it well, I can rely on it. It's just not cutting-edge in any way right now. To get to a ten, as I said, the upgrade process needs improvement. I should be able to swap it out, with zero downtime, with another array, down the road. I don't think Dell EMC has…
                    Ben Liebowitz
                    Server and Storage Engineer at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                    We're able to provision storage and create consistency groups and RDMs for our VMs

What is our primary use case?

We're using Dell EMC Unity as our primary storage for our production and for our DR site. We've had no performance issues with it, whatsoever. We're using it for our data storage, for our virtual machines. It's the only array that we have, so we're not doing tiering at all. Everything is on the unit. We're using it for the data storage that we replicate to our DR site, for the ones that just stay local. We're using it for allocating raw disk-mapping, for mapping storage from the SAN directly to virtual machines for super-clusters and the like. We're using it for everything

• "It's easy to manage. We access it and manage it through Unisphere and have had no issues. We're able to provision storage, create consistency groups, create RDMs for our virtual machines. Creating it through Unisphere, it automatically adds the data store on the VMware side and rescans the LUNS. We just have to add and configure the storage in one place and it takes care of everything, which is very handy."
                    • "Unity only does compression. It would be nice if there was a deduplication feature as well. At my previous job, we used XtremIO and that was deduplication and not compression, and I think we got more out of it because the more OSs you have that are the same, the fewer copies it needs to keep of all that data. So, the deduplication would be a nice feature to have."

What other advice do I have?

Each solution is dependent on the use case so it's really hard to give advice without knowing the exact use case the person is trying to fill. But we're very happy with Unity. I rate it at nine out of ten. If they added dedupe, that would get me to a ten.
                    LN
                    Information Technology Manager at a non-tech company with 201-500 employees
                    There has been no downtime. It has built-in redundancy upon redundancy.

What is our primary use case?

It is for our production. We also have a second one for disaster recovery. We use it for our VMware storage. It's done everything we need and we have had no issues.

• "There has been no downtime. It has built-in redundancy upon redundancy."
                    • "It is easy to manage overall. It is all web-based. It has a an easy, nice dashboard. I receive emails if there are issues. When there are any updates, I receive emails. I can either do them on my own, but normally I schedule them with Dell EMC and they remote in, then it's done."
                    • "Their support cases are all handed through the portal. The support contacts me when they need to do upgrades. It has been great. It's all very well-handled, scheduled, and performed."
                    • "If there's anything Dell EMC could do to get the same performance for a cheaper price, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

When we were purchasing the product, we didn't have a capital budget for it. I sat down with my boss (the COO), and went over upcoming projects. We looked over the dollar values and if they fit. If it does fit, we do it. We went with the VAR that sold Dell EMC in our city and from there it was done. This made it very easy. If it fits your budget, do it. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: brand and support reputation.
                    BM
                    IT at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
                    ESRS works with remote support to remote in and take a look at problems proactively

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it for backup.

• "It is nice the way ESRS works with remote support, being able to remote in and take a look at problems proactively."
                    • "It is easy to manage. A lot of the system manages itself."
                    • "I would like to see more integration with other products."
                    • "The interface can be a little challenging for someone new."

What other advice do I have?

Dell EMC has been around for a long time. Owning VMware is a big plus. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Support long-term * Longevity * Cost is always an issue.
                    JL
                    Deputy CIO at a insurance company with 1-10 employees
                    We can sleep at night because the support is great

What is our primary use case?

We use our Dell EMC Unities to store the bank's data. We have one Unity in our production environment and another Unity at our disaster recovery site. We use it in conjunction with VMware. We store all our virtual machines on Unity.

• "It's very reliable. I have not had an issue with Dell EMC Unity."
                    • "It's easy for us to use because we use other solutions which are built for Unity, like VMware, which are recovery points. They work with the Dell EMC Unity system, as these products integrate well in our environment."
                    • "The Dell EMC unity interface is simple to manage. We manage it by ourselves. We create logs to store data."
                    • "We can sleep at night because the support is great."

What other advice do I have?

The purchasing process was uncomplicated. We went through a third-party reseller who has a relationship with Dell. They know the product well, so they specialize in it. We gave them our needs and they were able to recommend the appropriate solution to Dell, the sizing, etc. This helped us out. We can sleep at night because the support is great.
                      BM
                      System Engineer at a manufacturing company with 10,001+ employees
                      It is simple to use and easy to manage. We don't touch it after we set it up.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as block storage for a couple sites. The performance is fine for what it does. It is flash and spinning media.

• "It is simple to use and easy to manage. We don't touch it after we set it up."
                      • "For sites that we use it on, it gives us more flexibility and high availability solutions. It is easier to expand the site, if needed."
                      • "I would like the UI to look better."

What other advice do I have?

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Reliability * Price.
                      RH
                      IT Manager at a transportation company with 201-500 employees
                      Because it is virtualized, we save time to set up, warranty, and AC cooling costs

What is our primary use case?

We use it for virtualization. We have all of our servers virtualized on the entire unit. The performance has been outstanding. It's amazing.

• "We currently have two Dell EMC Unities going. One of them at our primary on-premise DR site. They communicate with each other. If we ever have to failover, it is right there and ready."
                      • "It is easy to manage. Managing it, I get alerts if there are any type of issues. I had a hard drive go bad, which had never caused any issues. Dell EMC contacted me, and said, "We are a shipping a new one out." My response was, "Why?" He told me that hard drive was bad. So, I went and looked, and it was. This was almost immediate. I never even knew anything had happened."
                      • "It should be lighter. It takes up a ton of rack space. It would be nice to have a smaller footprint."
                      • "It might be nice to have more integrated features instead of having everything as a separate module, like the networking. The networking is attached separately in the back. It would be nice if that was more integrated with less ports."

What other advice do I have?

Make sure to shop around to make absolutely 100% certain that it is what you want. You will want to come back to this particular model. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * Pricing * Knowledge: They know what they are talking about. * Aggressiveness: Are they vested in the pricing and product?
                      Guy Shepperd
                      Director of IT at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                      To be programmatically administered is huge, it is one of its key features

What is our primary use case?

We are a medical center, so we have a very diverse ecosystem. We do a lot of imaging, which is our primary use case. It is performing very well.

• "It has helped us be able to use less administrators per device or system. Therefore,we are more streamlined."
                      • "To be programmatically administered is huge, it is one of the key features that we like about it."
                      • "It needs more functionality and the ability to move across more landscapes."

What other advice do I have?

Find out what your use case is. Look at it across the board. Dell EMC has been good to us as a customer.
                      JS
                      New Technologies Director at a tech services company with 5,001-10,000 employees
                      We use it to implement all our VDI solutions

What is our primary use case?

It is for users of VDI solutions.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it to implement all our VDI solutions. It is easy to deploy and manage. We were able to integrate it very quickly with other solutions.

What is most valuable?

Cheaper Its consumption of kVA

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more compression and deduplication added to the solution. Today, our compression is about 2:1 and other solutions give us about 4:1 or 5:1.

Technical support is good.

The initial setup is good. Ordering is easy, but the processing site and working with those companies was difficult.
                      Jonathan Pierce
                      Senior systems program at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                      It is a workhorse and will run even demanding workloads

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is to replace stream I/O and other VNX traditional spinning disks with a less expensive all flash. However, it should have the same five nines availability.

• "The performance is great. We have four or five different Unity arrays, and they have all run flawlessly."
                      • "It is a workhorse and will run even demanding workloads."
                      • "Dell EMC Unity is not sexy. It doesn't have all the flash and pizzazz of some of the other storage vendors."

What other advice do I have?

I've had so many nightmares with so many other arrays, but I have no complaints with Dell EMC Unity at this time. It is a workhorse and will run even demanding workloads.
                      JC
                      Tech consultant at KMD
                      It provides SAN capabilities and storage replication

What is our primary use case?

We are using it as a storage unit. We also using it at my customer site.

How has it helped my organization?

It is the storage provider that the company is using. The product is easy to manage.

What is most valuable?

It provides SAN capabilities and storage replication.

What needs improvement?

The user interface could use improvement. They could move away from flash and make it an HTML5 file.  They should update to the cloud.

Less than one year.

It is very stable.

It is very scalable.

The technical support is very professional and provides…
                      LB
                      Sr. Engineer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                      Hits a sweet spot for us between price point and the amount of storage and performance

What is our primary use case?

We use Dell EMC Unity XT as our primary storage, mostly for VMware, the tier-one storage of our VMs. We use it for SaaS and corporate. We do replications with it. I hate to call Unity your standard, basic storage, but it's your standard, basic, old-school, tried and true, reliable, classic storage. Nothing fancy, but it gets the job done, has all the features you need, and is easy to use. Performance-wise, we actually use ScaleIO for the high-performance stuff. But Unity, as your classic storage, does a fairly good job. We actually use it just about everywhere because, in the majority of the… more »

• "We have had some downtime. Nothing is perfect. Unity’s have had some code-release problems, versions that, from a compatibility perspective, had some glitches which caused an outage. But, given the amount of Unity’s we run, that has been fairly minor and it hasn't happened at scale or across all of our Unity’s."

What other advice do I have?

As for advice to someone who is interested in this type of solution, I would simply say, "Talk to so and so, because that's what they do, and have fun." We use it across the board. So if someone needs a Unity for their project and they want their own SAN for some reason, they just have to go through the approval process. There's no fight to buying a Unity, because again, from an ROI perspective, no one argues. In terms of the buying process, I'll start with getting a quote. I find it's pretty easy, mainly because I worked as a consultant, so I actually would build those BOMs (bills of…
                        RR
                        Senior Manager at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
                        We integrated it with vSphere and SQL without any costs specific to the Unity platform

What is our primary use case?

We're using it to host development workloads and it's performing as expected.

• "We have integrated it with vSphere and SQL. There were no costs involved outside of our normal workload licensing, no costs that were specific to the Unity platform."
                        • "We did encounter a firmware bug which actually caused loss of data. There was some heartburn around that. But in general, it has operated as expected, except for that bug."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is: Stay up to date on code. Regarding the purchasing process, we went through a VAR and it was easy. Once pricing was established, the bill of materials was defined, we paid for the product, and it showed up. In terms of important criteria when selecting a vendor, from an executive perspective, it's partnership. From my team's perspective, it's probably * usability * performance * stability. I want it up, I want it to stay up, and I don't want to have to manage it. I would rate the solution at eight out of 10. It's not an all-flash array so it's not the fastest thing on the market…
                        JD
                        Solution architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        It is scalable. We can add additional tools if we need to expand it.

What is our primary use case?

Our use case is very unique. We just need it in our offices.

• "The Unisphere management interface: We are very familiar with it. It manages all the EMC devices that we have. Management is easy because it is part of Unisphere, which is self-learning."
                        • "It is scalable. We can add additional tools if we need to expand it."
                        • "I would like to see a more seamless virtual box integration with the physical box which can replicate, because the setup of the replication is very difficult right now."

What other advice do I have?

Do your homework. Obtain all the use cases. See what license you need and purchase the license as part of your preparation. Then, the process will be smooth. We do integration with vSphere, but it is very limited because we outsource with IBM.
                        JK
                        Senior IT Analyst at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        I like the ease of configuration and, once running, you don't have to touch them

What is our primary use case?

We use it for storage for our ESXi hosts at our smaller sites.

• "I like the ease of configuration, the quick setup and the fact that it seems to be hardened. We haven't had any issues with them. In terms of simplicity of ownership, once they're running you don't have to touch them. They're also simple to manage. We came from the VNXe 3200s so it's very similar."
                        • "We integrated it with vSphere but that integration was "iffy". It was okay but we had a few challenges with it."

What other advice do I have?

My advice is to follow the installation guide, it's pretty straightforward, step-by-step. In terms of the purchasing process, after we had figured out what we wanted, it became easy. But we had to get into our first set of standards. The first one that we ordered had the SFP module cards in it, which we didn't need. We just use the 10-gigabit copper. After figuring out our standard template, it has become super simple every time. What I look for when selecting a vendor to work with is somebody who * is big * guarantees their product * has good support; somebody who is going to answer their…
                        MS
                        Assistant Administrator at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                        MSP
                        Hybrid: SSD gives us fast response for SharePoint, while the slower storage is good for file servers

What is our primary use case?

It's our storage solution. We have a Dell EMC Unity 400. The performance is great.

• "The fact that it's hybrid is the most valuable feature. We have the SSD so we put our SharePoint on there and some of the stuff that requires a little more speed. For SharePoint, we want the pages to respond a little more quickly. And it's nice to be able to use the slower storage for stuff that we don't need as quickly, like file servers."
                        • "I like that when you log in it gives you a dashboard of what your storage looks like."
                        • "In the dashboard there could be notification of duplicate files and the like, so we don't have to rely on Windows to do that."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be to use their support. If you bought it, have them come onsite, have them help you set it up, make sure you get comfortable with it. If you bought the support have someone come onsite. It's like free training. Don't wing it.
                        it_user866808
                        Senior Manager IT at a financial services firm
                        All-flash performance, Snapshotting, Replication, less management are key for us

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is block and file. It's like a combo device. It has performed well, except for the migration process.

• "All-flash performance, Snapshotting capabilities and replication are all valuable features."
                        • "I think there are a couple of things on the file side that we're lacking from the VNX world. It would be nice if we got some of those back. I think there are limitations on how many file systems you can back up at a time. Whereas you can do, I believe, eight continuous per data mover on the file side on the VNX, you can only do something like two or four on Unity. If they could step up to that, that would be good."

What other advice do I have?

The important criteria for us when selecting a vendor are * relationship * quality of product. I would rate the Unity between seven and eight out of 10. It's not quite at the level of what the VNX was, but it's one of those products that is improving with time. I would definitely recommend you look at Unity.
                        it_user562692
                        IT Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        Same operating system for both file and block, it simplifies everything

What is our primary use case?

It's a tier-two storage array. The performance is okay.

• "We put the Unity on one of the file servers and the backup performance improved quite a lot."
                        • "It has the same operating system for both file and block, and it actually simplifies everything. And it's much smaller compared to VNX."
                        • "Scalability for the 650F is good, but I was expecting a little bit more."
                        • "We had some issues recently because of a bug in the system. We were presenting LANs to the Unity array but I think it caused a disruption to the host. EMC did acknowledge it and provided an alternative way to do it."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor we look at the * performance * scalability * price. First of all, it should meet the business requirements such as performance, and it should be compatible with all applications. Then we will look at the third factor which is the price. Regarding advice, it depends on the size of the business. Unity, price per Gig, is actually a good system. In fact, I'm thinking of moving some of the old VMAX arrays to Unity because of the price performance per Gig. If the stability makes sense, then I'm actually going to move it.
                        it_user866805
                        Infrastructure Management Expert at Turkcell
                        Used with Metro Cluster in our data centers, it makes our data continuously available

What is our primary use case?

We had a stand-alone storage system and we wanted to purchase a Metro Cluster system. We looked at other companies and we found EMC was the best of them. That's why we choose them.

• "Provides good provisioning, allowing us to save space."
                        • "The monitoring part could be better. With EMC storage systems - or Unity and VPLEX, because I'm using them, for the moment - the monitoring part is very difficult. They should improve this to have a better reporting system."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, as a technical guy, it's the power or bandwidth, the technical details, that are more important to me. I would definitely tell a colleague to go for Unity.
                        it_user866802
                        Data Center Pre Sales at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                        Robust architecture, reliable all-flash provide mid-range storage performance

What is our primary use case?

The main use case for my clients is for mid-range storage performance. It's primarily all-flash arrays. It's always with two sides replicated. It's working well.

• "Replication with VMware - it's called the vSphere Metro Storage Cluster - is lacking in the Unity and is present in Compellent."

What other advice do I have?

Replication with VMware - it's called the vSphere Metro Storage Cluster - is lacking in the Unity and is present in Compellent. In general, that's a key decision metric. If we need to have synchronous replication... That's why we had to use VPLEX, because it's not in the Unity. Look out for this. If that kind of setup is not required, you should always go for Unity.
                          it_user866799
                          Network Storage Admin at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                          Simplifies our instance to one storage pool; integrates very well with VMware

What is our primary use case?

We use the Unity as the SAN for our data center. It's where all of our data lives right now, for our main office. It has exceeded our expectations.

• "We have simplified it down to where we're using one storage pool inside the Unity, whereas on the VNX, we had multiple storage pools. This has simplified that aspect for us. It would depend on each organization. We're heavy into VMware and this ties into it so simply. It's made it a lot easier for us. I create a datastore inside Unity, it just shows up in VMware. I love that tie-in."

What other advice do I have?

We're probably going to go away from the Unity and end up using VxRail and vSan. Hyperconvergence is all the rage, that is where everything is going, so that's where we're headed. We need the hyperconverged, we need the elasticity - that we can spin things up and spin them down quickly and easily. We can't do that right now. I would definitely steer a colleague towards Unity if they were looking at that versus NetApp, for example.
                            it_user866796
                            Consultant at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                            Scalability is not good and we have stability issues with IBM AIX

What is our primary use case?

We had old systems - CX4-960 and Celerra - and we wanted to consolidate the systems to the Unity platform for the customer because the old systems were very expensive for maintenance.

• "It's easy to handle for administrators and it's a unified system. It's not as complex as Celerra systems or CX4 Clariions to administrate. You can do everything with one GUI."
                            • "Scalability is not good. We have a Unity 300, now we have to do a data-in-place conversion for the next upgrade because only 150 slots are supported, not drives, only slots."
                            • "We've got massive issues at the moment with IBM AIX. It's not stable. We have a lot of disk errors, production crashes sometimes."

What other advice do I have?

If you plan to use Unity as a filer system take a bigger controller because with the 300 and 400 you have performance issues compared with other filer systems. For pure filer systems, I would recommend an Isilon or NetApp, or something like that. Unity is a unified solution, if you have to do unified, but it's better to separate if you have more data.
                            it_user866793
                            Solutions Architect at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                            Flexible, simple to set up, and performs well as mid-range storage

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is mid-range to low-end storage, and it performs very well for that type of operation.

• "Its main advantage over vSAN was the rebuild, the intelligence of the restoration in the event of a hardware drive failure and, of course, the all-flash solution."
                            • "I'd like to see more of the NVMe back-end for the flash. And the big deal with the PowerMax is that they've used all U2 drives so that they can avoid having to take it down. I see using M.2 and modular sections as being a real nice alternative that could be implemented in Unity at a fairly low cost."

What other advice do I have?

For our applications, we'd rate Unity at eight out of 10. It would be a 10 if it had a lower cost. That's really the issue. The value point is, once you get into the Unity spectrum, you're looking at a lot of competitive offerings, and they're appealing to a limited class requirement, so the demands are not as stringent. In terms of advice, find out what your storage group's expertise level is and their background, and then see if they don't already have experience with Unity or one of the others in the family. It seems to be a natural fit that way.
                            it_user866784
                            Systems Engineer at a healthcare company with 201-500 employees
                            Gives us a lot of storage directly on a 3U box, that density has been very helpful

What is our primary use case?

Right now, we're using it as overflow storage. We initially had a VNX and an Isilon. We needed to grow out further, and we thought that Unity would be a good way to do that. Right now, we're using it a secondary storage platform, VVols across it, and using it directly for VMware storage.

• "The flash aspects of the Unity make it incredibly fast. The fact that you get that much storage directly on what is basically a 3U box to us, that density has been really useful."

What other advice do I have?

I would tell a colleague this makes a very sound investment. It's very reasonable density for space. The extendability is extremely useful. It's hard to choose a competitor at that level that would do it better.
                              it_user866778
                              Director at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                              We can put all virtualized servers together to share and manage the devices easily

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers buy it for data storage for the ERP that they use in their businesses. Most of them have a preference for the flash model. All of them are very satisfied with the performance. It's very good equipment. Our customers give us very good feedback about it, they are very satisfied.

• "We can put all the virtualized servers in one place, so our customers can share and manage the devices very easily."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I choose the storage to fit the value and budget that the customer can afford. I can set most of them up with Unity, but sometimes I need to give them something with a lower cost. Sometimes, the price point is a little bit high in our market. Unity is equipment that, if you sell it, you don't have any headaches with it. It's very good, its performance is very good. We are very satisfied.
                                it_user866772
                                Product Manager at a tech vendor with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                Solid platform, and the performance allows us to do more with less

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for our product, Oracle Database, and it's performing very well.

• "I would like to see better compression, better dedupe. It's not nearly as good as what is built into the XtremIO. I understand why that is the case, but if they can take some of that technology and leverage that a little bit better in the Unity array, that would be great."

What other advice do I have?

Compared to XtremeIO, the unity is a two out of 10. Compared to other products, like Compellent, which is a Dell product, I think it's better than the Compellent. I think it's better than the 3PAR, I think it's better than the Netapp. The whole VNX/Unity line has been the industry leader, as far as I'm concerned. if I were to rank the Unity against all of its equivalent competitors, I would say it's probably a nine out of 10. I would give a colleague the advice that he needs to look at what his product does, or what the use case is for that device. The Unity array is, by design, block, with…
                                  it_user866766
                                  Data Protection Architect at a consultancy with 501-1,000 employees
                                  All-flash array eliminates overhead of tiering and much of the data structuring overhead

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is block storage for ESX and structured data, SQL Database primarily.

• "All-flash array eliminates all the overhead of tiering and a lot of the data structuring overhead involved."
                                  • "There are also DR and data protection functions that we found in the new Unity, now that we are stepping up from VNX and other storage appliances, that we've started implementing."
                                  • "The one thing that we would look at would be if they were to expand the file level features, just to give us a balance or a tier between it and Isilon options out there, for unstructured data."

What other advice do I have?

My advice would be, if you're looking for this kind of solution, one of the challenges we had was clearly defining the use case. There is a lot of preparation in clearly identifying the workloads that you're going to put on it.
                                  it_user866763
                                  Project Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                  Reduced the latency in application and database reads and writes; all-flash just flies

What is our primary use case?

We're running virtual machines and we're using the NAS filer for file shares.

• "It has reduced the latency in application and database reads and writes... All-flash, it's fast. We have the 650 model which is all-flash, upgraded from VNX. It just flies."

What other advice do I have?

It's working well for us so far. We haven't had it long enough to have a full-term answer, but I am very pleased with it so far. In terms of advice to a colleague, if it's a mid-size company that has a similar needs to ours, I think the Unity is a good option.
                                    it_user866094
                                    Storage And Virtualization Architect at a legal firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                    Gives us a much smaller footprint than our older storage arrays, and it is much faster

What is our primary use case?

It is primarily for block storage for VMware in our Americas data centers, and it is also used for block storage and file storage in our European data centers.

• "It's a much smaller footprint than our older storage arrays, which take up some six tiles, a lot of space in the data center. The Unity's are a lot smaller, and they're a lot faster."
                                    • "I would like to see them add Storage Groups, like we have had in Clariions and VNXs."

What other advice do I have?

At this point, I would give the Unity an eight out of 10. I think it's a little bit early on in the development of features. But overall, it has performed well. There are some alternatives, but what we've found, working with our partners, for mid-range storage it's probably the best one you could choose. There are other offerings from other vendors, but it's a good choice.
                                    it_user866091
                                    Manager Storage And Back Up at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                    All-flash compression, NAS features, and stability are key for us

What is our primary use case?

We added it to our Vblock 740 as a storage extension, basically a tech extension for a capacity upgrade. We set it up about three weeks ago. I haven't seen any issues so far. What we noticed was that the SP utilization is quite high, although the main load is on a VMAX. We'll need to dig into it with EMC and see if there are any issues that might pop up.

• "It's an all-flash Unity, With that compression feature, it's comparable to a hybrid. That is one thing that we definitely like."

What other advice do I have?

It is definitely worth having a look at. The price-point for all-flash is certainly quite interesting. It has NAS capabilities too, if you need it. It's an interesting product, at least for mid-range.
                                      it_user866085
                                      Systems Consultant at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                      Gives our customers simplicity, streamlines management

What is our primary use case?

Most of the systems are replacements for ancient VNXs. For most of the customers, we suggest they be replaced by Unity.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the Unity at eight out of 10, because of the ease of management compared to the ancient systems. For us, in Belgium, it is more small and medium businesses, so Unity is a good solution. My advice is to choose the Unity.
                                      it_user286668
                                      Solution Architect - Data Center at a tech consulting company with 51-200 employees
                                      MSP
                                      Our customers find it easy to use, the speed is a big improvement over what they had

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers are using it for Microsoft workloads, like SQL Server, Exchange, on-premise use. We have one customer running Oracle on it, all-flash. They find the performance amazing from what they're coming from. Some of them say it's blazingly fast. They've switched to all-flash.

• "For our customers, it's the simplicity of it. They find it easy to use, along with the added features, the dynamic volumes."
                                      • "They should have more wizards for customers so they can do more of the self-service types of functions, in terms of upgrades and patching, although it's pretty easy right now."

What other advice do I have?

I can't give any product a 10 out of 10. But I'm happy with it, I'd give it an eight out of 10. It has been a good product for us in terms of selling it, keeping the customer community happy. My advice would be, download the virtual edition of Unity and try it out. Get used to the interface and ease of use. Also, take a look at the cloud-based analytics and the other pieces that go with it, to round out the solution.
                                      it_user866076
                                      Business Development at SG Solutions Ltd
                                      The edge for our customers results from the simplicity and stability of the solution

What is our primary use case?

Most of our customers use it on-premise, 90 percent of our customers use VMware vSphere on top of it, and a little more than half of them use Fibre Channel to connect to the Unity. They use it for most of their workloads.

What other advice do I have?

The backing of the vendor is important. In Dell EMC's case, we know that there is always someone backing us, just in case we get stuck. A rating out of 10 out of 10 is a bit too much because, obviously, no product is super perfect, but I would rate the unity a good nine. What might make it a 10 is a better price. I would vouch for this solution, I would definitely say go for it.
                                      it_user649683
                                      Sales Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                      Review about Dell EMC Unity

• "It's very frustrating that it's not backward-compatible with the previous platforms, so it's a struggle for a lot of our customers."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10. It's very frustrating that it's not backward-compatible with the previous platforms, so it's a struggle for a lot of our customers. We can overcome it, but it's a hard conversation to have with them sometimes. Go in open-minded. If you're used to the old VNX platforms you'll be pleasantly surprised.
                                        it_user866058
                                        Storage Engineer at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                        Quick Snapshots, improved performance, small form factor are key features for us

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is branch office. It has performed adequately well.

• "Quick Snapshots and cloning are key features."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, support is the key thing. Do your research. There are a lot of vendors out there but if you're looking for performance, price-point, ease of use, I recommend looking at Unity as a platform. It's a great platform, for mid-range businesses.
                                          it_user865578
                                          Director of IT at a financial services firm with 201-500 employees
                                          We have had problems with controllers, SPBs, though we have seen speed improvements

What is our primary use case?

It's our production SAN. In terms of performance, I've had a few issues, a lot of error messages that they haven't been able to figure out yet. I do like to be able, in a DR scenario, to use it to failover if we have to. That was our original use case, but we've actually gotten away from that for now, because it was just too cumbersome to do a failover, a data center failover, using Unity.

• "One of the issues we've had is that controllers have crashed several times... We've had a lot of problems with the storage processor, SPBs. We've actually had them crash."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate the unity at six out of 10 because of the errors that we are receiving. If I were advising a colleague, right now I'd probably have them move to another solution. There are other flash arrays. They may not have the Dell EMC name, but they are performing just as well at a lower cost point.
                                            it_user865572
                                            Managing Partner at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                                            Fast cache in the hybrid storage has increased my client's performance

What is our primary use case?

General storage for virtual machines. The virtual machines have different roles, essential roles; and, of course, mission-critical servers running financial services, or engineering programs, etc.

• "The performance combined with the gig-per-dollar value is a combination that is superior to other storage options."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10 and the two missing points are because of the price tag. In terms of advice, I would definitely recommend Dell solutions. As for Unity, it depends on the budget. I definitely recommend Unity, because I do have clients that are currently using it, and they don't have any issues, they're happy with the product.
                                              it_user866775
                                              Sir Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
                                              Scalability and all-flash are key features, but code revisions need better testing

What is our primary use case?

As a partner, we are able to deploy it across multiple industries: healthcare, government, small business. We install Unity everywhere. There is really no one, set, niche customer that we do it for.

• "I think that they could do a better job of testing on the back-end, for the code revisions. I've heard of some issues down the line where people have upgraded to the latest code and there were bugs in it, and they had to release a subsequent code fix."

What other advice do I have?

Nothing is ever a perfect 10 in my book, so I would say this solution is a seven. I think there is room for improvement, there is always going to be room for improvement, especially in IT. Having a perfect 10 in any IT hardware platform, I don't it think that exists right now.
                                                it_user866097
                                                Infrastructure Engineer at CGSH
                                                All-flash array gives me hope it will do a good job, but the compression algorithm has issues

What is our primary use case?

It's a replacement for a VNX, it's faster. It has its good points, and it has its bad points.

• "There are some features in VNX that I wish were in the Unity. For example, Storage Groups for isolating LANs and hosts. That is a big issue."
                                                  • "We've also encountered an issue when it comes to migrating to compressed LANs on the Unity, and during the Storage vMotion. It appears that the compression algorithm is overwhelmed, and when it becomes overwhelmed it just stops compressing and writes the raw data to the destination. We later copied internally another Storage vMotion to another compressed LAN and achieved much higher compressions on that internal copy. It would be really nice if there was a way to automatically throttle, as a part of a Storage vMotion, to say, "I want to gain the maximum benefits from the compression algorithm, so throttle back the Storage vMotion to implement 100 percent compression.""
                                                  it_user866769
                                                  Solution Architect at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                                  Compression performance is not good, and there have been problems with I/O modules

What is our primary use case?

We are a titanium partner. We deliver the full solution portfolio that Dell and Dell EMC have.

• "It can be simple to deploy, the standup time is quite quick. The interface is quite quick. The terms are simple, intuitive, it's similar what was there in the VNXE before it. It's very simple to navigate and administer from the console."
                                                  • "The hardware itself, it differs from Compellent and differs from the VNX before it. It doesn't have a separate file harbor that goes with it, there are no separate NAS heads. It's 2U, you have file and block storage, so you get a quite a lot of services for a small footprint."
                                                  • "It's not as reliable as it should be, I think it was probably released a little early. We've had production problems with customers, and there are still some challenges at scale as well. Compression is a problem for the system. Once you enable dedupe and compression, the performance of the system, the capability, halves... It has to be right-sized and sized for compression, but even with that, because there are only two storage processors, you're ending up at almost 40 percent usage."
                                                  • "Problems with I/O modules, with bugs that came out that really should have been caught before the product was released."

What other advice do I have?

I would give the Unity a five out of 10. The offering is good. The simple console is good. The deployment is good. Support is not good. The compression performance capability is not good. Problems with I/O modules, with bugs that came out that really should have been caught before the product was released. And I have a problem with the confusion in the market between the two systems, between Compellent and Unity. The quicker a mid-range solution comes out combining the two products, the better.
                                                  it_user73656
                                                  Director, Solution Architecture at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                                                  Provisioning is very simple, the system yields an improved footprint

• "It is scalable. Customers are going more into distributed architecture, so the Unity definitely has a scalable architecture built into that."
                                                  • "Inline dedup compression security is coming up as an issue, encryption, etc. is key for our customers. If we could have more ways to do software-based encryption, those are the features customers are asking us for, as well as replication."

What other advice do I have?

I give it an eight out of 10, because there is definitely room for improvement, for EMC to invest in it.
                                                  it_user866061
                                                  Infrastructure Architect at a government with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                                  For our test and dev environments, the ease of use and management are key features

What is our primary use case?

For Unity, our use case is mostly test and dev.

How has it helped my organization?

Compared to older generations of arrays there is quite an improvement, compared to the older VNXs, for example. It depends on you use it, but for our purposes, we find Unity simple to use.

What is most valuable?

It's simple, easy to manage.

What needs improvement?

At the moment, we are pretty satisfied with it. Perhaps the user interface could be better.

It's more stable than the old generation of arrays. We had a lot of issues with the VNX, for example, but they got better over time. The VNX2 was better, and the Unity has been even more stable. …
                                                  AD
                                                  Systems Engineer at Zenware
                                                  Inline compress and dedupe are great features for a mid-range solution, but NAS capabilities are lacking

• "I like the idea that it can compress and dedupe inline. That is quite a stunning feature for mid-range customers."
                                                  • "The NAS capabilities of Unity - I have to say there are a lot of things I miss. For example, deduplication for hybrid. I have tons of customers with VNX and dedupe. These customers achieve around 50% dedupe efficiency and they mostly use them for archive. If you're talking about 50TB of NAS, which is stored in a 25TB repository, which is very economical, and you can not provide that in a Unity hybrid box, you have problems."
                                                  • "A customer had to buy VMX because Unity didn't have WORM."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Unity a seven out of 10. I know these products since Clariion, and I believe they hit a great peak with VNX2. It was a product customers loved. When Unity arrived, the ability to consolidate NAS and SAN in a 2U box was pretty cool. But the NAS part didn't follow. That's why I give it a seven.
                                                  Juan Rebelo
                                                  Pre Sales Manager at Datastar
                                                  EMC's reputation in storage attracts customers, but the solution lacks features

• "VNX used to have some features that Unity still doesn't have. From that perspective, the progress is not that advanced."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it a seven out of 10, mostly because of what I mentioned already, the features that aren't ready yet that previous products had. I think it is seen as not that mature. That's why it could be better. Maybe they should have stayed with the VNX until Unity was ready to be the natural replacement, and seen as the next step. I don't think that they can show big improvements in the Unity compared to what the VNX was.
                                                    it_user865575
                                                    Infrastructure Engineer at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                    The solution is critical to our business; Snapshot is a key feature

• "The Snapshot feature is key."
                                                    • "With all-flash it should be able to scale. You probably just need one 4U device and you have terabytes of space."
                                                    • "Recently, they released products, sometimes without proper testing, it seems."

What other advice do I have?

I rate it an eight out of 10, only because it started out buggy. Other than that, it has worked well for our company.
                                                    it_user865584
                                                    Design Architect at Alexander Open Systems
                                                    Reseller
                                                    A unified solution, it does block and file; I can provide everything on a single array

What is our primary use case?

As a reseller, I cross many industries. I deal with a lot of state and local government, a lot of health care, and a lot of commercial and banking industries. This product fits that mold across all those spectrums, as do other EMC products, but Unity is primarily the one I go to market with.

• "It's unified, it does block and file, so that is pretty important to my customers who might have file servers around their environment. I can roll them all up into a single array, as well as provide block storage for them on one array."
                                                    • "It's the simplicity part of it. It's the ease of management, it's the call home, the CloudIQ functionality. It's all built in. I think Dell EMC has put a lot of thought into it."

What other advice do I have?

I would give it a high nine out of 10. The only thing that makes me pull back is the continuing work on the support. To be a 10, that is asking a lot, in my opinion. But I think Unity is right up there. I think they're ahead of their game with any competitor out there. Compared to the top three or four that you could consider in this realm, I think Dell EMC has them beat, hands down.
                                                      it_user866088
                                                      Systems Admin at Farm Bureau Health Plans
                                                      Simplifies our structure, replication, and administration

• "One of the things that I like the most about it is how they have changed the Unisphere GUI, and how it is now HTML5. It is so easy to use. Also, the array itself is so simple, easy to set up and easy to use, but it still has that great Dell EMC technology behind it."

What other advice do I have?

I hardly ever rate anything perfect and best, so I would have to give this is a 9.9 out of 10. Nothing is absolutely perfect, but it's very high up there. I would recommend it to anyone.
                                                        it_user866082
                                                        Data Center Architect at Iron Bow Technologies
                                                        Seamless data migration from VNX, and VDI performance is very good

What is our primary use case?

Lately, the biggest use I've seen is around VDI and data migrations - migrating from the old VNX platform onto a new Unity. So far so good. Everybody has been very happy with it. It has been a very seamless transition. The performance, from a VDI perspective, has been very good. They are very happy with it.

What is most valuable?

Ease of use Ease of management Ease of deployment The GUI is very user-friendly.

What needs improvement?

I don't see a lot of room for improvement. Perhaps if they added more 10GB ports to the back of the system, so you have more IOPS out of the box itself to the network, that would help. But other than that it's a great platform.

The stability is awesome. It is very…
                                                        it_user866079
                                                        IT System Admin Lead at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
                                                        Snapshot performance is key for us, along with improved recoveries

What is our primary use case?

The first time we got a Unity was last year. We started deploying some of our file system data into it. We have been seeing a significant improvement, not just the way that we take Snaps, but with the recoveries as well. We're also using it for block storage.

• "The way it takes the Snaps, that is one of the best features. Snapshot performance is what is key in the Unity, compared to a traditional VNX."
                                                        • "The VNX reporting is much more granular, versus the Unity reporting."
                                                        it_user866067
                                                        Group Technology Ops Executive at a retailer with 10,001+ employees
                                                        Increases performance, and we have gone from multi-rack to a portion of one rack

• "It will certainly help us scale bigger. If I look at the footprint, the VNX's was multi-rack. Now, all of a sudden, we're only at a portion of a rack. And, obviously, if we can scale within the same rack - we can certainly see that by the number of hard drives we've had to put in - we can scale a lot more easily."

What other advice do I have?

When looking at selecting a vendor, it will be reputation, market share. It will be support, the pricing of the product; a roll-up of all of that is what counts at the end of the day. I give it a 10 out of 10 for now, because we haven't had anything go wrong.
                                                          it_user865602
                                                          Director of Technical Services at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
                                                          Provides our customers with simplicity, flexibility, and ease of integration

What is our primary use case?

Most of the customers that I work with are using it for virtualization platforms. They are looking at it from a block data perspective. Most of them are leaning towards an Isilon platform for file-based data, so most of our traditional VNX customers have moved to the Unity platform, mostly for their structured block data.

• "The benefits are the simplicity, flexibility and the ease of integration between the Unity platform and VMware, for example, and Microsoft platforms; the integration tools and the simplicity of management."

What other advice do I have?

I would put this solution at a solid nine out of 10. I don't think there is such thing as a perfect infrastructure. There is always room for improvement, even though I can't think of any. It is a strong platform. In terms of advice, I think there are a couple of things. One of the reasons why I lean towards the Dell EMC solutions, as an EMC guy/reseller, is because of the completeness of vision. Across the data center with the disaster recovery, the integration with tools like RecoverPoint, with VMware, with some of the VMware tools, insight into the entire stack up and down. I would push most…
                                                            it_user866781
                                                            Director at ESPH
                                                            Simple and efficient technology, makes it easier for my team to deliver solutions

How has it helped my organization?

The simplicity of the technology means it is easier for my team to do administration, to deliver.

What is most valuable?

The technology is simple and it is efficient.

The product is reliable.

It is scalable. For example, at this moment I have a large customer, a government ministry in Costa Rica. We have two Unity's with services for transactions on different scales. It has grown over the course of six months.

From my experience, EMC provides good support, and Dell's service is very good. It is simple to call technical…
                                                            PO
                                                            System Analyst at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                            Easy to use and the All-Flash is helping our virtual machines perform better

What is our primary use case?

We have two all-flash Unity's and their primary use case is for VMware. We have two VMware's and the Unity's are the data storage back-end for them. We also have some 20 servers that boot from SAN, Fibre Channel. We also provide storage disks for the servers.

• "The all-flash feature is really boosting up the VMware. It is helping our virtual machines to perform better."
                                                            • "The scalability is really good now that they have the Dynamic Pools. We don't always have the money to buy complete write sets when we have to expand the storage, so now with the Dynamic Pools we can add disks on the go."
                                                            • "There is an ESRS problem that we're facing where, for some reason, the other Unity has not been able to register to EMC. The support information is not upgrading and nobody can tell me what is wrong with it. It's a minor issue, the ESRS is still working, but it is something that is very confusing and nobody seems to know what to do about it."

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, I really just want the product to work and the support to work. Every computer fails at some point. Every computer breaks down occasionally, and when that happens I need the support to act quickly and be as useful as possible. I would give Unity a definite nine out of 10 at the moment. I really like the storage system. It's really good. If you are using a fully virtual environment, I would suggest you check into an HC, a hyper-converged environment instead. But if you do need traditional storage and a SAN network, I would really recommend Unity as your back-end, if…
                                                            it_user865596
                                                            Implementation Engineer at Telindus
                                                            A stable, scalable product with a multitude of features

What is our primary use case?

Mostly, it is used for the storage of a fertilization environment. It performs fine.

• "Scalability is good."
                                                            • "It is very stable."
                                                            • "You can't use every feature, because it costs in performance. Therefore, you have to choose which features to use to achieve a better environment. That is why customers do not use every feature in Unity."
                                                            • "Since Dell took over EMC, the support has been very bad. Before, the support was fine. Now, the support is slow or they don't react."

What other advice do I have?

Just use EMC. Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: * The product itself. * How the product is used.
                                                            it_user865581
                                                            Storage Admin at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
                                                            Easy to use and set up replication, plus we have had no stability issues

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, product stability is the big thing, but support is probably right up there with it. I would use this solution over most VNX solutions. It is right up there. We have some Pure Storage, so it is somewhat in contention with that. We are mostly an EMC shop, so that's probably our biggest deciding factor. If you're an EMC shop, I would definitely go with Unity. If not, which you go for will probably be in the middle. Pure probably has the ease of use down a little bit better than Unity, but I would ding their support much more than anything I've done with EMC.
                                                            it_user865587
                                                            Infrastructure Engineer at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                                            Allows us more scalablility, as we don't have to overbuy a solution that can't scale out

What is our primary use case?

Primary use case is block storage for healthcare IT. It has performed very well.

• "The compression and deduplication that will be coming in version 4.3. With just those features, you're reducing the amount of data and the footprint on the hardware."

What other advice do I have?

I give it a 10 out of 10. I like it for what our application does. I would recommend it.
                                                              it_user623847
                                                              IT Infrastructure and DWH/BI Manager with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                                              We are able to put more DBs on flash, reducing latency and improving productivity

What is our primary use case?

Storage for high I/O databases.

• "After migration to Unity 300F, we were able to put more DBs on flash, reducing latency. The results were visible in the front-end systems, and all users noticed the improvement."
                                                              • "VMware integration makes the life of our engineers easier, as we are almost 100% virtualized and this feature is used on a daily basis."
                                                              • "All-flash is a game changer. If you need performance, simple operations, and you plan to use it with VMware, it is a good choice."
                                                              • "The initial setup was very straightforward. Migration was smooth and configuration of the storage was quick and simple. The time needed to put it into production was less than expected, and data migration itself went without a glitch."
                                                              • "Improve the administrative user interface so it is easier to work with. Currently, a simple task, such as removing a host from 100 LUNS, takes a lot of time. If they could improve LUN to host model to be more like the EMC VPLEX, for example, it would be great."
                                                              • "We had one incident with a memory leak that led to controller reboot. Although it had no impact, when such things happens the storage should be more aware of it, send alerts, and propose corrective actions."
                                                              • "Last (and I understand that it has a low chance of being implemented) the copy services currently are redirect on write. It would be great if the administrator could choose between redirect on write and copy on write, when configuring copy job."

Sr Storage Architect at a tech services company
                                                              Remove configuration limits and improve the interface to provide management capabilities

What is our primary use case?

* Enterprise production services * Wide variety of applications * Block only

• "Setup is simple."
                                                              • "Software updates have to be downloaded to the root of the device. This pushes the available space to 95% utilization."
                                                              • "​Improve the interface and provide more management capability."

What other advice do I have?

Software updates have to be downloaded to the root of the device. This pushes the available space to 95% utilization. Poor design.
                                                              it_user798228
                                                              IT Manager
                                                              Ease of use, scalability, and set up; you could call it child's play, it's so easy

• "Ease of use is probably number one, compared to the previous storage that we've had. Easy scalability, easy set up. Compared to everything else, the Unity is, well, you could call it child's play. As long as you know what you're doing storage-wise, Unity is really easy to use."
                                                              • "We run about 100 virtual servers on it. We have about 100 users accessing the file shares from there, and I've seen no problem with that. We have about a 10GB backbone. Whatever we throw at it, it hasn't shown any sign of weakness or anything. It's been really good."
                                                              • "On a scale from one to 10, I'd probably give EMC customer support an 11. It's been really good. We do have premium support, which means if we have a problem, it gets solved really quickly."
                                                              • "Maybe deduplication would be something that would be better to have. Also, it's a fairly new management interface, so work is still being done on that. But compared to other vendors and previous EMC storage, the Unity is really good."

What other advice do I have?

It's really simple to use, set up, manage. Just be sure to know something about storage before you start, but that goes for any kind of storage solution that you use. I actually want to give it a 10 out of 10 because it's been really easy to manage. It just does what it's supposed to do and it doesn't bother me.
                                                              it_user779364
                                                              Infrastructure Engineer at a financial services firm
                                                              Speed and deduplication need improvement, tech support is difficult to work with

What is our primary use case?

Storage.

What other advice do I have?

It's basically the same unit as a VNX, as the predecessor, so it was not that much of a change besides a redesign in code. My advice would be do your due diligence in research. Ask a lot of questions. If you can go to the vendor - they have these offices where they have lab environments - go there. Check it out. Test it. Look at it. Do everything before you make the purchase, because once you buy it you're stuck with it. There's no money-back guarantee. Once you buy it, you're stuck with it for the next three to five years. You're spending a quarter million dollars all the way to maybe $5 -$6…
                                                              MG
                                                              Senior IT Infrastructure Engineer and Administrator at a pharma/biotech company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                              They have always met their stated service levels and have never let us down

What other advice do I have?

The Unity 400 is one of the easiest to manage and the most reliable storage systems that I have managed in my 22 years in IT. Performance-wise it has met or exceeded all our expectations. If you do run into a problem, the support is second to none.
                                                              Flavio Araujo
                                                              User
                                                              Consolidates all our data in a unique 2U configuration

• "Real Unified Storage (Block, File, VVols) in a unique 2U hardware."
                                                              • "The Host LUN ID is sequential by access in the hosts. When one LUN needs access by many hosts (for cluster purposes), in some cases the Host LUN ID remains different on each host."

What other advice do I have?

The Dell EMC Unity is a small but powerful storage solution. With the "unified" concept it is possible get many features for less.
                                                              it_user758250
                                                              IT Manager
                                                              We find the DR plans, RPO, and RTO beneficial to our organization, but the GUI updates need improvement

What is most valuable?

Replication: Disaster Recovery (DR) plans, RPO and RTO. Replication and ease of storage setup for block LUN’s and VMware.

How has it helped my organization?

Same answer as most valuable features.

What needs improvement?

GUI updates. I had several hours helping support troubleshoot the difference in what the system was doing compared to what the GUI said.

Less than a year.

Sure did.

it_user776964
                                                              Platform Administrator
                                                              The presentation of new storage to the servers is very easy
                                                              it_user776910
                                                              Manager Information Technology at a real estate/law firm with 11-50 employees
                                                              It is a single source of knowledge and repository for all our data

What other advice do I have?

It is absolutely a good solution. It does have the ability for expansion into Cloud services, which I would like to use one day, but we have not tried that yet.
                                                              it_user776907
                                                              IT Server Admin at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
                                                              The product is easy to use and configure. The support is also superb.

What other advice do I have?

The product is easy to use and configure. The support is also superb.
                                                              it_user765249
                                                              Data Center & IT Infrastructure Administrator at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
                                                              We use it to backup our storage. It is very easy and convenient.

What is most valuable?

The ease of use, which makes it very good.

How has it helped my organization?

We use it to backup our storage, and also positioning LANs by using the file option, then the block. It is very easy and convenient.

What needs improvement?

The payment account area.

For approximately a year.

At the moment, there are no issues. We once had an issue where one LAN was full, and because it was full it was making the SP reboot. But with the upgrade, we decide it was a non-issue, and with the upgrade, it was fixed. The upgrade fixed it.

There are no issues with the scalability.

How are customer service and

it_user763845
                                                              Infrastructure Manager
                                                              From a functionality perspective on cost-effectiveness, it is exceeding all expectations

• "It has compression, which allows you to store more data than you would normally under the arrays."
                                                              • "The uses of tools to communicate with EMC directly. With EMC, I am not able to connect and resolve issues without assistance, so they can't do unattended maintenance on devices, which would be a massive benefit if they could."

What other advice do I have?

For someone researching whether to implement Unity: If they have familiarity using EMC devices previously, then it is really a no-brainer. You would use this because you will be able to install, setup, and configure it without any additional training required for your current staff. If you're a new customer, and you have another product, the Unity offers several features that other products do not. I would advise just looking at the technical specifications or ask EMC to give you a preview because they are very helpful over the phone, and they can do a live demo for you.
                                                              it_user760152
                                                              IT Engineer with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                              Provides multiprotocol support including NFS, fiber channel, and CIFS

• "The multiprotocol support. It's supporting NFS, fiber channel, CIFS, and these kinds of things. The multiprotocol is very attractive."
                                                              • "We are running VMware, and with the VNXe it was possible to restore. We're using Veeam for VMware backups and with the predecessor, it was possible to mount a backup or restore a backup from a storage snapshot. With the Unity 300, this is not possible."

What other advice do I have?

My experiences are generally positive with this product. I would definitely recommend to others to go for it unless they choose an alternative.
                                                              it_user762255
                                                              Systems / Security Administrator with 51-200 employees
                                                              It has been upgraded with additional drives and enclosures multiple times without incident

• "I would like the device to have the ability to pull down its own firmware. That would be a great thing."
                                                                AT
                                                                Head of IT, South & Central America at a engineering company with 201-500 employees
                                                                The small device has fast access to data with a small consumption of energy

What is most valuable?

Small device Using few U's on rack Small consumption of energy Fast access on data

How has it helped my organization?

The best improvement will happen in the future. We will hopefully not be replacing the HDD with failure.

What needs improvement?

The price has room for improvement.

I have used this product since May 2017.

Not at all. No issues with stability.

I will need to see in the future. I do not have time for scalability for the time being to determine whether it can scale out.
                                                                it_user760155
                                                                IT Techinal Engineer at a consultancy with 51-200 employees
                                                                Simple configuration enables adding datastores on VMFS5 to any clusters on your vSphere organization

• "VMware integration: Grants both the Storage and Virtual Administrator the ability to create and mount datastores, or even to check how much space each VM is consuming."
                                                                • "Compression and block deduplication on non-all-flash solutions."
                                                                it_user757434
                                                                IT Supervisor
                                                                We have been able use Auto-Tier and FAST VP to build up flexible space

• "Because I always need to trouble shooting for IOPS & database (DB) performance issues. I can quickly focus on what is part of the issue. I can decrease downtime and can plan next year's extended capacity budget."
                                                                • "For the integration of the VPLEX function for Cross IDC structure, they should integrate the function into the SP controller."
                                                                it_user758247
                                                                Senior Systems Engineer at a tech services company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                                Ability to redefine storage policies and improve performance by adding dynamic cache and “Auto-tiering”

• "The ease of management and “user-friendly” management environment (GUI)."
                                                                • "There are features still to come, like compression and deduplication on hybrid platforms, VDM improvements to be developed for NAS environments, and also improvements in the “self-migration” tools to push or pool information (to assist the migrations to and mostly from third-party arrays)."

What other advice do I have?

When implementing this product, be careful while configuring “Virtual Pools” (on hybrid platforms), in order to assure optimum performance. The proper disk raid choice is critical and may impact directly in the performance of a “Storage Pool” dedicated for a specific purpose or environment. Dell EMC Unity is actually one of my market focuses, from the understanding that Dell EMC has redefined the core of their mid-range storage portfolio, focusing on two main products: Dell EMC SC (Dell legacy Compellent) and Dell EMC Unity (the last mid-range storage solution developed by the former EMC, just…
                                                                it_user756597
                                                                IT Supervisor
                                                                It's easy to manage and the interface is great

How has it helped my organization?

It’s helped with the overall stability of our VMware environment.

What is most valuable?

We use it to provide VMware VMFS to our VMware environment. Also, we use it for replication of data stores to another EMC Unity 300. This works fantastically. It’s easy to manage.  The interface is great.  Underlying functionality works well.

What needs improvement?

The only improvement would be a lower cost per unit/disks, however on the whole we are very pleased with this product.

None whatsoever. A big update was released in which Dell contacted us and did the upgrade.

None whatsoever. We expanded both our EMC Unity disks by 10TB…
                                                                it_user758244
                                                                Senior Systems Engineer at a sports company
                                                                Delivers High IOPS and low latency which are the most important part of our usage

• "Veeam Backup integration: Veeam is the defacto standard for backing up of virtual environments."
                                                                • "Firmware Upgrades in EMC Unity require you to manually download OS and Drive firmware, this should be integrated (Nimble does this). When you order an EMC Unity, you have to specify the block size. This is weird for me and even weirder that you cannot change this afterwards, you should be able to specify per LUN/datastore (Nimble does this as well)."
                                                                it_user757431
                                                                Head of IT Infrastructure
                                                                ​User friendly interface, scalable, no need for additional licenses, flexible support plans, prompt support

How has it helped my organization?

Decreased administration efforts, improved manageability.

What is most valuable?

User friendly interface Scalability It is shipped with all licensed, included for this product range, no need to buy additional licenses Flexible support plans  Prompt answers from EMC support

What needs improvement?

Thick provisioning of LUNs. Firmware management form EMC. Strange way to populate firmware based on spread ratio among the customers of EMC Unity.

Yes, but did not affect systems which relay on it. Firmware patch was released by EMC.

Not for now.
                                                                it_user715143
                                                                Storage Specialist at a tech services company with 201-500 employees
                                                                Entire Environment Is Virtualized, Though Depending On Location May Not Be The Best Solution

What other advice do I have?

Implement views using consistency groups. It is easier to replicate LUNs, take snapshots, etc. Also, you can't use fast cache with SSD storage pools.
                                                                it_user657789
                                                                Vice President at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
                                                                Some of the valuable features are reporting and the replication of the COB scenarios.

• "Replication of the communication object (COB) scenarios"
                                                                • "The EMC VNX Virtual Data Mover (VDM) software needs more improvement."

What other advice do I have?

* EMC is known for its reliability * This product is good * It is easy to install and maintain * It operates with low maintenance and manpower costs
                                                                it_user635478
                                                                Deputy Manager Systems at a comms service provider with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                                We use it as block storage. We are hosting a video on demand service.

What other advice do I have?

For greater efficiency, use SSD, SAS, and NL-SAS with FAST. Use at least 10-20% SSD of whole storage, 20-30% of SAS, and the rest with NL-SAS. This will give you good performance as well as provide you with a cost-effective solution.
                                                                it_user448698
                                                                Senior Systems Engineer in the Storage & Systems Practice at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                                                I appreciate the performance with flash drives, SAS connections, and the fibre channel.

• "I like the easy management with the new Unisphere management and the HTML5 interface."
                                                                • "The storage processors have less port expansion than previous high-end VNX arrays. Data compression is only available in all-flash pools."

What other advice do I have?

I recommend that you purchase five years of maintenance up front. EMC tends to increase maintenance significantly in years four and five.
                                                                it_user628035
                                                                Infrastructure Manager at a hospitality company
                                                                It is scalable and supports small environments and larger deployments.

What other advice do I have?

There is currently a long lead time on 3TB SSD disks due to a shortage of materials in the USA.
                                                                Nuno Simoes
                                                                Storage Specialist at a tech company with 51-200 employees
                                                                Some of the valuable features are speed and stability.

What other advice do I have?

Read a little bit about the product and its purpose. The implementation itself is simple.
                                                                it_user562518
                                                                Senior Implementation Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                                                                The most valuable features are FAST cache capabilities and Data at Rest Encryption.
                                                                RESC
                                                                Storage Solutions Architect IV at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
                                                                I like the fact that you can use a solid-state array for your servers.

• "It has a very intuitive web console that runs in HTML5 and makes navigation and administration fairly easy."
                                                                • "This product lacks deduplication and compression at the current version 4.1.0. LACP is not available for iSCSI either."

What other advice do I have?

Learn about the product and its capabilities. If you are unsure whether this will handle your workload, my suggestion is to get a proof-of-concept with your preferred value added reseller. Move some workload to it and test the performance. There is nothing worse than buying a unit that won’t perform as you expect it.
                                                                it_user620604
                                                                Director of Infrastructure Services at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
                                                                Provides us with unified block and file storage without control stations and data movers.

• "Unified block and file storage without the need of control stations and data movers. This simplifies administration and deployment and requires less rack space."
                                                                • "Include cloud-based replication for blocks"

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking for a unified solution for block and file and to be competitive in the all-flash market, this is the product to choose.
                                                                it_user555651
                                                                Technology Consultant at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
                                                                Provides inline compression, auto-shrinking, and data in-place upgrades.

What other advice do I have?

Go for it!
                                                                Product Categories
                                                                All-Flash Storage Arrays
                                                                Download our free All-Flash Storage Arrays Report and find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, NetApp, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, and more!