Dell EMC VxBlock System Overview

Dell EMC VxBlock System is the #4 ranked solution in our list of top Converged Infrastructure tools. It is most often compared to Dell EMC Vscale Architecture: Dell EMC VxBlock System vs Dell EMC Vscale Architecture

What is Dell EMC VxBlock System?

VxBlock and Vblock Systems simplify all aspects of IT and enable organizations to achieve better business outcomes faster. Seamlessly integrating enterprise-class compute, network, storage and virtualization technologies from industry leaders Cisco, Dell EMC, and VMware, VxBlock and Vblock Systems, powered by Intel Xeon processors, deliver the world's most advanced converged infrastructure: engineered, manufactured, managed, supported and sustained as one, allowing you to focus on your business.

The Dell EMC Converged Systems portfolio offer choice, flexibility, and reliability for accelerating IT transformation - VxBlock System offers additional levels of flexibility with a choice of network virtualization from VMware NSX or Cisco ACI.

Dell EMC VxBlock System is also known as VxBlock, VCE VxBlock System, Dell EMC VxBlock, VxBlock 1000.

Download the Converged Infrastructure Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: July 2021

Dell EMC VxBlock System Customers

Atos, Canadian Pacific, IDS, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Switch, Xerox

Dell EMC VxBlock System Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about Dell EMC VxBlock System pricing:
  • "We purchased this solution with a ten-year manufacturer warranty, and we have a three-year warranty with our local partner."
  • "Its price is high. That's why people are now moving to hyper-converge."

CC
Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Highly optimized equipment that increases efficiencies and is very stable

What is our primary use case?

VxBlock is our data center. We run all of our applications, central applications, and systems, off the VxBlock. It's in our production data center.

• "It's a highly optimized piece of equipment that doesn't give us any problems."
  • "The only thing that I can say is when you procure the VxBlock, obviously you have to complete detailed questionnaires about your architecture including the configuration, et cetera. If you make a mistake on the implementation, then you need to rebuild the entire VxBlock. That is just a point of consideration rather than a flaw. You need to be absolutely sure and validate the upfront configuration information that you provide because your VxBlock comes delivered and built, according to that exact information."

What other advice do I have?

We're using the VxBlock 350 deployment model. The change in the operating model has been an eye-opener. A few years ago, it was difficult to imagine how a real virtual or cloud-like environment would run as we'd been so used to the standalone environments that we were operating. To see how that operating model really changes and the ease of use going to a virtualized or cloud-like platform has been great. It's one of the biggest takeaways I have. When we changed infrastructures, we decided to build a complete environment. To start to build the IT infrastructure from scratch, completely new…
Mohamed Abdu
IT Consultant at Ministry of Education
A high-performance replacement for our legacy data center in a single cabinet

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our clearance and distribution department. We are using this solution for virtualization with Hyper-V. Our entire infrastructure is Hyper-V, and it's working fine. We have a twenty-eight blade system with E-SATA storage, which is fantastic and very fast. This is an on-premises deployment.

• "The most valuable feature of this solution is the speed."
  • "This solution does not support Hyper-V, and we would like the new version to be supported and certified to work with Hyper-V."

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for others. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that the vision for technology is always changing. As administrators, we worry about new technology because if one thing goes wrong in a cabinet that contains everything, how much will be affected? So far, nothing has happened and everything is working nicely. It is very good. This solution ships from the manufacturer with VMware, but our Hyper-V is working fine. We expected to have an issue, but it works. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: July 2021.
522,946 professionals have used our research since 2012.
GM
Data center Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Comes with one console to monitor everything, but there are issues in managing specific components

• "The monitoring and management parts are the most valuable. Monitoring is specifically valuable because you have one console to monitor everything. This console is called Vision."
  • "We are finding it a bit challenging in terms of the management of a specific VxBlock component. Currently, we have different units as a part of the block storage. We have one for Cisco equipment and one for Dell. When we have an issue in the infrastructure, Dell EMC VxBlock System should automatically detect it and send a notification to VC support, but, unfortunately, it is doing that only for one unit. It is not working for Cisco components. We have informed them about this area of improvement, and they are working on this. The way different parts are integrated should be improved. We should have one console to log in to see all the infrastructure in terms of each machine and hardware."

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to stop using the normal spinning disk and going for an all-flash disk on the storage because of the performance issues. I would rate Dell EMC VxBlock System a six out of ten.
MS
Senior System Administrator at a healthcare company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Very stable, good performance, but needs a single management console, clear process for upgrades and scaling, and better support

• "Its performance is very good."
  • "It is a good product, but for us, it is like a black box. We are not really sure about its internal components, and how to do the terminal upgrade, and how to make sure about the security of the device. We understand how it works, but in order to do the upgrades, we have to get help from the company. We cannot do it ourselves. In another model that we had, the internal team could do the upgrade but not in this one. There is no clear process for a new upgrade or update. They should provide a software intelligence tool that has a dashboard where you can see the current firmware, the latest firmware, and the documentation and the process for the upgrade. For VxBlock, we have different management consoles. There is no single management console that you can use to manage all components inside VxBlock. Their scale up and scale out process is also not clear. Their support is also a little bit slow in responding to the cases."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate Dell EMC VxBlock System a seven out of ten. It is a good product, but their support is not that good. Support is one of the main factors based on which we evaluate a product.
SK
Application Operations Services Leader at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Offers seamless replication between data centers, but it needs to have multiple user interfaces

What is our primary use case?

All of our IT runs on this infrastructure.

• "Integration with VMware and VMotion definitely brings a lot of value."
  • "Scalability is an area that needs to be improved."

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that has plusses and minuses. It is better than HPE Superdome and using big servers, and it works well with VMware and VMotion. At the same time, there are challenges with scalability. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Virtual machines for the infrastructure are great; hardware could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for VMware virtualization. We are customers of Dell and I'm a senior system and storage administrator.

• "Virtual machines for the infrastructure."
  • "Does not support different kinds of mixed applications."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
CR
Technical Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Has good performance and manageability

• "VxBlock has good performance, so that is an advantage."
  • "It's a good product but the price could be lowered. It's expensive."

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see more performance, but every three months they increase this figure already.
SK
Associate General Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Provides significant core default features and data protection

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database applications, using all the core features. We're a customer of VxBlock.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution would be its good default features and the compressions. Those are the features we use regularly.

What needs improvement?

For VxBlock, the consistency of disc quality could be improved.

I've been using this solution for almost six years.

The product is very stable.

The product is scalable.

We've used technical support from time to time and they are very good.  …