Dell EMC VxBlock System Overview

Dell EMC VxBlock System is the #3 ranked solution of our top Converged Infrastructure tools. It's rated 3.9 out of 5 stars, and is most commonly compared to Dell EMC PowerOne: Dell EMC VxBlock System vs Dell EMC PowerOne

What is Dell EMC VxBlock System?

VxBlock and Vblock Systems simplify all aspects of IT and enable organizations to achieve better business outcomes faster. Seamlessly integrating enterprise-class compute, network, storage and virtualization technologies from industry leaders Cisco, Dell EMC, and VMware, VxBlock and Vblock Systems, powered by Intel Xeon processors, deliver the world's most advanced converged infrastructure: engineered, manufactured, managed, supported and sustained as one, allowing you to focus on your business.

The Dell EMC Converged Systems portfolio offer choice, flexibility, and reliability for accelerating IT transformation - VxBlock System offers additional levels of flexibility with a choice of network virtualization from VMware NSX or Cisco ACI.

Dell EMC VxBlock System is also known as VxBlock, VCE VxBlock System, Dell EMC VxBlock, VxBlock 1000.

Dell EMC VxBlock System Buyer's Guide

Download the Dell EMC VxBlock System Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2020

Dell EMC VxBlock System Customers

Atos, Canadian Pacific, IDS, City of Denton, CenturyLink, BNP Paribas, Asyaport, EDF, CSC, Fox Sports, Insight, Hunter, KPIT, Paetec, Rosetta Stone, Sonda, Switch, Xerox

Dell EMC VxBlock System Video

Dell EMC VxBlock System Reviews

reviewer1435092
Architect at a manufacturing company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 14, 2020
Highly optimized equipment that increases efficiencies and is very stable

What is our primary use case?

VxBlock is our data center. We run all of our applications, central applications, and systems, off the VxBlock. It's in our production data center.

• It's a highly optimized piece of equipment that doesn't give us any problems.
  • The only thing that I can say is when you procure the VxBlock, obviously you have to complete detailed questionnaires about your architecture including the configuration, et cetera. If you make a mistake on the implementation, then you need to rebuild the entire VxBlock. That is just a point of consideration rather than a flaw. You need to be absolutely sure and validate the upfront configuration information that you provide because your VxBlock comes delivered and built, according to that exact information.

What other advice do I have?

We're using the VxBlock 350 deployment model. The change in the operating model has been an eye-opener. A few years ago, it was difficult to imagine how a real virtual or cloud-like environment would run as we'd been so used to the standalone environments that we were operating. To see how that operating model really changes and the ease of use going to a virtualized or cloud-like platform has been great. It's one of the biggest takeaways I have. When we changed infrastructures, we decided to build a complete environment. To start to build the IT infrastructure from scratch, completely new…
Mohamed Abdu
IT Consultant at Ministry of Education
Oct 17, 2019
A high-performance replacement for our legacy data center in a single cabinet

What is our primary use case?

We use this solution in our clearance and distribution department. We are using this solution for virtualization with Hyper-V. Our entire infrastructure is Hyper-V, and it's working fine. We have a twenty-eight blade system with E-SATA storage, which is fantastic and very fast. This is an on-premises deployment.

• The most valuable feature of this solution is the speed.
  • This solution does not support Hyper-V, and we would like the new version to be supported and certified to work with Hyper-V.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• We purchased this solution with a ten-year manufacturer warranty, and we have a three-year warranty with our local partner.

What other advice do I have?

This is a solution that I recommend for others. The biggest lesson that I have learned from using this solution is that the vision for technology is always changing. As administrators, we worry about new technology because if one thing goes wrong in a cabinet that contains everything, how much will be affected? So far, nothing has happened and everything is working nicely. It is very good. This solution ships from the manufacturer with VMware, but our Hyper-V is working fine. We expected to have an issue, but it works. I would rate this solution a nine out of ten.
Find out what your peers are saying about Dell EMC, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, FlexPod and others in Converged Infrastructure. Updated: November 2020.
447,654 professionals have used our research since 2012.
reviewer1401666
Data center Manager at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
Oct 24, 2020
Comes with one console to monitor everything, but there are issues in managing specific components

• The monitoring and management parts are the most valuable. Monitoring is specifically valuable because you have one console to monitor everything. This console is called Vision.
  • We are finding it a bit challenging in terms of the management of a specific VxBlock component. Currently, we have different units as a part of the block storage. We have one for Cisco equipment and one for Dell. When we have an issue in the infrastructure, Dell EMC VxBlock System should automatically detect it and send a notification to VC support, but, unfortunately, it is doing that only for one unit. It is not working for Cisco components. We have informed them about this area of improvement, and they are working on this. The way different parts are integrated should be improved. We should have one console to log in to see all the infrastructure in terms of each machine and hardware.

Cost and Licensing Advice

• Its price is high. That's why people are now moving to hyper-converge.

What other advice do I have?

I would advise to stop using the normal spinning disk and going for an all-flash disk on the storage because of the performance issues. I would rate Dell EMC VxBlock System a six out of ten.
reviewer1393923
Application Operations Services Leader at a energy/utilities company with 5,001-10,000 employees
Jul 30, 2020
Offers seamless replication between data centers, but it needs to have multiple user interfaces

What is our primary use case?

All of our IT runs on this infrastructure.

• Integration with VMware and VMotion definitely brings a lot of value.
  • Scalability is an area that needs to be improved.

What other advice do I have?

This is a product that has plusses and minuses. It is better than HPE Superdome and using big servers, and it works well with VMware and VMotion. At the same time, there are challenges with scalability. I would rate this solution a seven out of ten.
Noor Parkar
Sr. System and Storage Administrator at a government with 51-200 employees
Aug 15, 2020
Virtual machines for the infrastructure are great; hardware could be improved

What is our primary use case?

We are using this solution for VMware virtualization. We are customers of Dell and I'm a senior system and storage administrator.

• Virtual machines for the infrastructure.
  • Does not support different kinds of mixed applications.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.
reviewer1136973
Technical Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
Jul 30, 2020
Has good performance and manageability

• VxBlock has good performance, so that is an advantage.
  • It's a good product but the price could be lowered. It's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate it an eight out of ten. In the next release, I would like to see more performance, but every three months they increase this figure already.
reviewer1290927
Associate General Manager at a energy/utilities company with 10,001+ employees
Mar 9, 2020
Provides significant core default features and data protection

What is our primary use case?

We use the solution for database applications, using all the core features. We're a customer of VxBlock.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features of the solution would be its good default features and the compressions. Those are the features we use regularly.

What needs improvement?

For VxBlock, the consistency of disc quality could be improved.

I've been using this solution for almost six years.

The product is very stable.

The product is scalable.

We've used technical support from time to time and they are very good.  …