OptiView XG OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

OptiView XG is the #7 ranked solution in our list of top Network Troubleshooting tools. It is most often compared to NetAlly EtherScope nXG: OptiView XG vs NetAlly EtherScope nXG

What is OptiView XG?

OptiView XG is the first network analysis tablet designed specifically for the network engineer. It combines critical functions necessary to automate root-cause analysis of both wired and wireless network performance issues – whether network or application related to reduce time for problem identification. OptiView XG supports repeatable, effective troubleshooting – whether pre- or post-deployment.

Download the Network Monitoring Software Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: October 2021

OptiView XG Customers

XG is used in all industries. Example customers include: Republic National Distributing Company, Titelive, CitiGroup, Los Angeles Unified School District, Saudi German Hospital, DeKalb County Schools, Valdosta State University, The Everett Clinic, Bio-Reference, Miami-Dade Library, Mitel, Borsa Istanbul, Cimarex, Air National Guard Lowndes County, High Point City, Carrollton City Schools, Kern County, Pruitt Communications and Bosch Group.

OptiView XG Video

Pricing Advice

What users are saying about OptiView XG pricing:
  • "Its price was a bit excessive. The device that I had died. It is under warranty, and they want $20,000 for another one. I just don't want to spend that kind of money, so I'm trying to find an alternate solution. They have annual maintenance on it, which probably was 10% a year, so it all starts to add up."

OptiView XG Reviews

Mark_Walker
President at Bitwise Micro
A valuable, impressive, and portable product that saves time and has great scalability and stability

• "It is a very valuable tool. It goes out and does a discovery, which is a great process of it. You could have something like a rogue DHCP server, and it will identify it, and then you can see to which switch port it is connected. It is quite an impressive tool. I really liked it because you didn't have to install an agent on anything. It would just go out and do its discovery. For me, that's great."
  • "Its price can be improved. Their support can also be improved a little bit. In terms of features, it did everything I wanted it to do. With more features, I would have to start installing network agents or something else, and I don't want to have to install anything. This was the value for me about this device."

What is our primary use case?

It does the inventory of the network. I was using the current version, but the device died. I am just looking for a replacement.

How has it helped my organization?

It just saves time. We have run into situations where contractors come in, and they plug in a WiFi device that is handing out DHCP addresses, which affects the rest of the network. To be able to quickly identify from where the problem is originating, you need a network tool that can identify the device that is doing this. It just brings into clear focus the exact issue when there is a problem or outage.

When there is a crisis and you've several people wanting to know an estimate of when things are going to be back up and running again, you need to have answers. I have been at places that didn't have a tool like that. I know one place that had an outage for almost a week, and it was craziness. It turned out to be just a bad cable. That's all it was. They were having trouble with their email server, which was an on-premise email server, but emails were taking six hours to appear. The whole problem was because of a bad network cable. When I plugged in the Fluke analyzer, it analyzed and told me immediately that there were transmission errors on this one port from one switch. It told me this within 10 minutes. It is an incredible product.

What is most valuable?

It is a very valuable tool. It goes out and does a discovery, which is a great process of it. You could have something like a rogue DHCP server, and it will identify it, and then you can see to which switch port it is connected.

It is quite an impressive tool. I really liked it because you didn't have to install an agent on anything. It would just go out and do its discovery. For me, that's great.

What needs improvement?

Its price can be improved. Their support can also be improved a little bit.

In terms of features, it did everything I wanted it to do. With more features, I would have to start installing network agents or something else, and I don't want to have to install anything. This was the value for me about this device.

I have been using this solution for ten years.

It was great in terms of stability. The unit I had was 10 years old, and it just kept working. Unfortunately, it stopped working, and I can't get it repaired. A replacement is $20,000, but I am not going to spend that kind of money to replace it.

Its scalability was great. There were no limits on it. I had one site with 1,000 devices, and it would constantly monitor all of them. It was great, and no agents needed to be deployed. It would just discover what was there.

I have interacted with them. They were helpful to a degree. Their support can be improved a little bit. I would rate them as average.

Its initial setup is very straightforward. It is a portable device. No agents need to be deployed.

I am responsible for different companies, and I am able to go and quickly deploy it. Within 20 minutes, I have an inventory of everything on a network such as VLANs, subnetting, and other things.

I was also handling its maintenance and all that stuff. I used it daily to monitor things. We had to monitor and make sure that our 10G connections were performing as expected, and it did that, so that was quite good.

We have seen an ROI. A good way to approach it is to calculate what your downtime costs would be if you had a network outage, and then you realize that it is cheap insurance to buy this stuff.

It is worth it when you calculate what your hourly downtime would be. For one of the sites, we had calculated that downtime of an hour would cost about $30,000. So, it paid for itself.

Its price was a bit excessive. The device that I had died. It is under warranty, and they want $20,000 for another one. I just don't want to spend that kind of money, so I'm trying to find an alternate solution.

They have annual maintenance on it, which probably was 10% a year, so it all starts to add up.

What other advice do I have?

I would rate OptiView XG a ten out of ten. It did everything that I wanted to do, and I was very happy with it.