Pentaho Data Integration Overview

Pentaho Data Integration is the #16 ranked solution in our list of top Data Integration Tools. It is most often compared to Talend Open Studio: Pentaho Data Integration vs Talend Open Studio

What is Pentaho Data Integration?

Pentaho data integration prepares and blends data to create a complete picture of your business that drives actionable insights. The complete data integration platform delivers accurate, "analytics ready" data to end users from any source. With visual tools to eliminate coding and complexity, Pentaho puts big data and all data sources at the fingertips of business and IT users alike.

Pentaho Data Integration is also known as Kettle.

Download the Data Integration Tools Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: June 2021

Pentaho Data Integration Customers
66Controls, Providential Revenue Agency of Ro Negro, NOAA Information Systems, Swiss Real Estate Institute
Pentaho Data Integration Video

Filter Archived Reviews (More than two years old)

Project Manager - Business Intelligence at www.datademy.es
It has improved our data integration capabilities​

How has it helped my organization?

Developed ETL processes to load a data warehouse. Has improved our data integration capabilities.

What is most valuable?

Easy to use Development of the product A lot of predefined steps Good open source option

What needs improvement?

There is not a data quality or MDM solution in the Pentaho DI suite.

Three to five years.

No issues.

I could not connect to our Hadoop environment in an easy and flexible way, and it was important to scale our data warehouse.

I work with the Community Edition, therefore I do not have support. There was an…
Consultant at a comms service provider with 11-50 employees
Simple to install and simple to use and helps us mine, clean, and arrange terabytes of data

• "It's very simple compared to other products out there."
  • "One thing that I don't like, just a little, is the backward compatibility."

What other advice do I have?

When you start to use this product, if you have just a little experience and know about ETL, you will have to spend little time to learn the it. The product is very, very simple to understand. You can build functionality by yourself. Anyone thinking about an ETL product, if they want high productivity on data cleaning and data movement, Pentaho Data Integration, in my opinion, is the best tool.
Find out what your peers are saying about Hitachi, Microsoft, Informatica and others in Data Integration Tools. Updated: June 2021.
509,641 professionals have used our research since 2012.
Brazil IT Coordinator at a transportation company with 1,001-5,000 employees
Integration between databases and data import for a BI solution is valuable.

What is most valuable?

Data transformation within Pentaho is a nice feature that they have and that I value.

How has it helped my organization?

Integration between databases and data import for a BI solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see more improvements with AS400 DB2. I journalled the tables/instance and the data migration is too slow if I compare it with other databases.

There were no issues with the deployment.

Until now, the stability of Pentaho is great. I've already tested various scenarios and I didn't feel a loss of performance.

There have been no issues so far in scaling the…
Senior Consultant at a financial services firm with 10,001+ employees
Needs improvement on the Hadoop and JMS plugins.
DWH Specialist at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It is extremely flexible, it allows you to use variables/parameters for just about everything. ​

What other advice do I have?

Train your own people!
Global Consultant - Big Data, BI, Analytics, DWH & MDM at a tech consulting company with 1,001-5,000 employees
It helps to connect to various data sources including all available databases.

What other advice do I have?

One of the best feature to lookout in this platform is its flexibility in enhancing or adapting to your requirements. Implementation can be very quick, you can enable few dashboards and analytics to your organization in a week's time.
Project Lead at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
The best benefit of the product is that it is easy to use and to understand.

What other advice do I have?

There are other products out there, but I feel that this is the best one.
Senior Data Engineer at a tech company with 501-1,000 employees
It enables a technical product manager to be able to write ETL jobs themselves.

What other advice do I have?

If your ETL jobs are small and straightforward, then this solution is definitely worth it.
Data Architect & ETL Lead at a financial services firm with 1,001-5,000 employees
It doesn't have the capability to produce crosstab reports with formatting capabilities. It connects seamlessly to most commonly used data sources.​​
Graduate Teaching Assistant with 1,001-5,000 employees
We can perform transformations with data very quickly, and create reports indicating the KPI in the reporting tool.

What other advice do I have?

You should go for this tool to manage your data warehouse, but I would suggest that you look for other reporting tools, such as Tableau, which are more user friendly and provide great insights in the data.
Business Intelligence Consultant at Sanmargar Team
​We use it almost everywhere, for creating data marts, data warehouses, and implementing BI reporting tools.

What other advice do I have?

The tool is excellent, and almost everyone can use it. You just need to take it out of the box and run. There is no limit to the application – you can do everything with it. However, it still has a lot of faults. Not every component runs as you wish to. Always look for solutions on the Internet. There are many problems and build transformations/jobs that are already fixed.
BI developer - (Jaspersoft/Pentaho/Pentaho C-Tools/Kettle/Talend/Data warehouse) at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
You can get ETL, reporting, analysis, and analytics in a single shop.

What other advice do I have?

It has a fancy look, the best visualization libraries and is open source. You can get ETL, reporting, analysis, and analytics in a single shop. Small, mid sized and enterprises such as CA have been implementing Pentaho.
Business Intelligence Supervisor at a manufacturing company with 501-1,000 employees
​We have performed a lot of setups since we started using it, and have had no issues.
Research Assistant at a university with 1,001-5,000 employees
The user-defined class operator is currently very valuable to me.

What other advice do I have?

If you are looking to integrate unstructured or semi-structured datasets with some parallelization, choose this tool. Parallelization supported by Pentaho Data Integration is a functionality that is really nice to have . You can choose which activities you want to parallelize and that's it. You do not have to write parallel code or something, as it does this job for you, which is awesome for a not so good programmer such as myself.
Datawarehouse Administrator at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
​We have been able to expose data services through the use of CDA relying on the same database as the reporting tools.

What other advice do I have?

Have a vision, and do not let yourself be guided by the technology.
Sr BI Administrator at a healthcare company with 1,001-5,000 employees
​It gave ‘out-of-the-box’ widgets for reading XML and Json interfaces which would otherwise have to be build from scratch​.

What other advice do I have?

Make sure Pentaho solutions are still available as they were prior to the commercial take-over. Administration is not the best developed component . The ETL is brilliant. Make sure that the admin part is covered.
Pentaho Consultant at a comms service provider with 10,001+ employees
It is an open source product it is very easy to build your own solution against it.

What other advice do I have?

When you don’t have the knowledge of the product I would recommend to follow some courses in to speed up the learning curve. A cheap way to start with Pentaho is using the Community Edition. You can do almost everything with it and the purchase of the Enterprise Edition is not necessary
Data Developer at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
It is possible to understand how to develop an ETL solution even when using it for the first time.

What other advice do I have?

Pentaho Kettle is an excellent solution to implement ETL process.
Consultant at a tech vendor with 501-1,000 employees
It's open source so there's no concern for pricing and licensing, and we've deployed it with minimal hardware.

What other advice do I have?

Use if for any data warehousing and migration projects. I love this tool and we can use it without spending a penny. I would say this is the best ETL tool in the market, considering this is open source and ease to use, very nice GUI.
CEO with 51-200 employees
Easy to use and has a nice GUI. The json input needs to perform better.

What other advice do I have?

Instead of trying to decide on a specific data integration tool, pick the right vendor partner, not a biased one. They will be able to recommend the set of tools you need according to your requirements and budget. Business intelligence project are made up of at least three components: * 1. Data integration tool * 2. Data warehouse tool * 3. Visualization tool Several of the software vendors have them all, but not the best solution for each component. From my experience it's better to combine solutions. (Unless it is a small project.) For example: data integration from Pentaho Kettle, if it's…
CTO at a tech services company with 51-200 employees
For me, it's the best ETL tool in the world

What is most valuable?

Easy to use, support for all databases (jdbc and odbc connection), xls , csv, files, txt, SAS, R

How has it helped my organization?

Integrate all datasources in one OLTP or OLAP database

4 years