RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) OverviewUNIXBusinessApplication

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) is #3 ranked solution in top Advanced Threat Protection (ATP) tools and #7 ranked solution in top Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools. IT Central Station users give RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) an average rating of 8 out of 10. RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) is most commonly compared to IBM QRadar:RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) vs IBM QRadar. The top industry researching this solution are professionals from a computer software company, accounting for 28% of all views.
What is RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM)?

If you’re relying on log data to detect and prevent cyber threats, you’re in trouble. Attackers increasingly evade detection of log-centric security and network monitoring tools. But logs combined with full packet, endpoint NetFlow data are proven to provide the essential details for early threat detection. Here’s a closer look at our solution.

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) was previously known as RSA Security Analytics.

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Buyer's Guide

Download the RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Buyer's Guide including reviews and more. Updated: November 2021

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Customers

Los Angeles World Airports, Reply

RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Video

Archived RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Reviews (more than two years old)

Hubert Luberek
Information Technology Security Architect at a financial services firm with 5,001-10,000 employees
Provides accurate information, quick analysis from the endpoint perspective, and quick identification of any potential malware

• "It's fully scalable. There is no limit. Of course, the license limits per day the number of terabytes. In my opinion, it's very flexible."
  • "They should implement algorithms to digest that data and produce additional, more advanced reporting, alerting and support of internal security teams."

What is our primary use case?

We use the on-premise deployment model of this solution. Our primary use case of this solution is for malware detection and for reconstruction during the incident and forensic analysis.

What needs improvement?

The web interface needs improvement because right now they have problems combining an older interface with a newer interface. They're in the middle of the process of combining the old and the new one. It sometimes confuses the user and sometimes you are not able to find the necessary information. You need to click the information and that is something that should be improved.

The data isn't a problem but you need to get used to it. You need to know where to click in order to get the results. Otherwise, you can encounter some problems.

I would be very happy if they would fix all the issues from 11.3 to the 11.4 version to have more advantages from the UEBA because the UEBA we have implemented will be the longest. If they will fully integrate the UEBA with the network data, this could be a very huge advantage and impact on the market. Right now, you have a solution like Darktrace which has the same capabilities as RSA NetWitness so NetWitness should implement the same things. They have UEBA, they have data. They should implement algorithms to digest that data and produce additional, more advanced reporting, alerting and support of internal security teams.

I have been using this solution for almost three years.

It's very stable if you are talking about the old version. I don't like 11.3 and I don't know 11.4, it's not actually released. It provides accurate information, quick analysis from the endpoint perspective, and quick identification of any potential malware. But the 11.3 version is a complete disaster. You cannot analyze anything.

I am part of the maintenance team. It's me and a couple more staff members that don't work full-time on this solution. I would say around four employees are required for maintenance but not full-time.

We have 10,000 users using this solution.

We do plan to increase the usage of this solution. We want to implement more monitoring of the internal traffic from specific places. We need to implement more decoders, more concentrators, and some kind of organization with the log archiving.

Their customer service is excellent, one of the best.

I have been using Fidelis and that works. It's all the same approach, but they only gather the metadata, not the full packet capture. If you want to compare those products together, I can safely say that RSA is much better because they offer full packet capture capability. It's more scalable and more flexible.

The initial set up was not very complex. The problem is with the use cases. You need to be very careful to not become overwhelmed with unnecessary data. You need to very carefully decide what should be filtered, what you need to be taken from the network or from the logs. You need to decide whether you need YouTube traffic at all, for example, because it consumes storage. It's a huge amount of data and that data is useless. It is not relevant to malicious activity and if you want to fully get the picture of the user activity or the motor activity you can have with data without Facebook, for example.

We have a perpetual license, so the total cost of ownership is not very expensive. It's a good investment.

We have looked through the Cisco solution to expand more devices from Fidelis to cover more areas of our network. I also evaluated Symantec and I have seen FireEye but it's hard to even compare those products to RSA.

What other advice do I have?

If it's possible, ask for help from primary support to help you implement at the very beginning with the fundamental alert or detection rules. This is my best advice for a customer regardless of the size and scope of the implementation. Use the support to help you with the implementation process.

I would rate it an eight out of ten.

Maor Hojberg
Team Leader & Head of MSSP at We Ankor
Good features for investigating network problems but it is pricey and lacking in usability

• "The most valuable feature is the ability to write rules and triggers for network communication, and then being able to investigate based on that."
  • "The system looks like it is a mix of a bunch of different systems, and nothing looked like it was quite together."

What is our primary use case?

We are no longer using this solution, however, it was used mostly for network monitoring.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature is the ability to write rules and triggers for network communication and then being able to investigate based on that. You can see the payload and deconstruct the packets.

What needs improvement?

The solution would be greatly improved by unifying the management to one configuration option. One of the problems the system had is that you always have to choose the managed host. For example, if you want to write a rule, you have to duplicate it across your managed hosts. It should have centralized management. If you want to make a change then it should be configured automatically, so that you don't need to go one by one, changing it. That is really annoying.

Another problem is that the EPL (Event Processing Language) is not properly explained, and the expert could not even use it when they came to our site. It was causing the system to crash, so they should really consider using something else.

The system looks like it is a mix of a bunch of different systems, and nothing looked like it was quite together. I think that it could be better integrated, and it would be great for new customers or even existing customers.

About one year, on and off.

I cannot say that the solution was stable because it tended to crash. We were using it before version 11, where some of the problems were supposed to be solved. I have heard from insiders that version 11 does not hold up to the hype and they're still facing some of the same problems.

I think that the solution is scalable because you can easily add news hosts. This is one of the things that was really straightforward and we appreciated.

The people that we spoke with from technical support were really professional. Some visited us on-site and did some training with our analysists. They are really good staff and we really liked it. The company that did the integration at the site where I was working was planning on re-hiring them for other customers, so they made a good impression.

The support is responsive by email, but initially, it is a little bit lacking. Beyond the initial emails, it is quite professional.

I was not part of the initial setup, but I can tell you that managing the system, in general, is not straightforward. It is quite elusive and very confusing, even after calls to technical support.

This is a pricey solution; it's not cheap.

Perhaps if the implementation is small then it is not bad, but if you have a global network or a security agency that needs to be segregated on the network, then it can be quite pricey.

What other advice do I have?

This solution has some good features, but it is lacking in usability. This means that I would rate it somewhere in the middle. I would rate this solution a five out of ten.

Learn what your peers think about RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM). Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: November 2021.
554,676 professionals have used our research since 2012.
EB
Sr Manager InfoSecurity at a healthcare company with 10,001+ employees
Overly complex and requires an army of people to keep it going

What is our primary use case?

We don't have a primary use case. There are many use cases that we have defined based on business needs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its ingestion of logs  raising of alerts based on those logs.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see improvement in its ease of use. It's basically unusable. It's overly complex.

What is our primary use case?

What is most valuable?

The most valuable features are its

• ingestion of logs
  • raising of alerts based on those logs.

What needs improvement?

We used RSA as our consultants. Our experience with them wasn't the most productive. We also have various other consultants in to help as well. Their ability to configure this particular platform is limited because it's such a complex product. There are so many classes you need to take in order to be proficient at it. There are so few people on the planet who can do it. You need an army of people to keep this thing going.

What other advice do I have?

It's supposed to help our security program maturity. Has it? I think that's another question.

I rate this product at three out of ten. It is overly complicated. It has taken years to implement and the return on investment just isn't there.

Allan Vargas
IT security specialist at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
Detects ransomware in our internal network and offers good protection

• "Their technical support responds quickly and are knowledgable."
  • "The initial setup was complex because it takes a lot of time to complete the implementation."

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for the administration of the internal network.

How has it helped my organization?

The detection of ransomware in the internal network has benefited my organization.

What is most valuable?

The protection that we get from the firewall is the most valuable aspect that we get from this solution.

What needs improvement?

I would like for them to incorporate IPS. Only the monitoring detects abnormal behavior so we'd like to see IPS.

I would like to see a dashboard include PAM so that it's a one-stop shop.

Three to five years.

We were using Splunk. We switched because it's difficult to configure and it demanded too many network resources.

The initial setup was complex because it took a lot of time to complete the implementation. The deployment took three to six months. We require four people for maintenance.

We have eight users using this solution and plan to increase usage.

The licenses are good but the cost is very expensive.

We also looked at IBM QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend this solution to somebody considering it.

I would rate it a nine out of ten.

Allan Vargas
IT security specialist at a comms service provider with 201-500 employees
The most valuable feature is the correlation. It can report in real-time and monitor the management.

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is for detecting or monitoring the process that we use in devices, servers, or databases.

How has it helped my organization?

The manner in which we can manage logs and information is very important for our organization.

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The implementation needs assistance.

The stability of this solution is good.

This solution meets our scalability needs.

The technical…

What is most valuable?

What needs improvement?

The implementation needs assistance.

The stability of this solution is good.

This solution meets our scalability needs.

The technical support is good.

I was not involved in the initial setup of this solution.

I like to say it has the trifecta:

• Good
  • Beautiful
  • Cheap.

It is a cheap solution.

Maor Hojberg
Team Leader & Head of MSSP at We Ankor
It alerts anomalies on the network. But, we have encountered issues with unresolved crashes.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a network tool to alert any anomalies on the network.

What is most valuable?

It gives the ability to investigate into network traffic in the Net and the organization what we couldn't do before.

The product continues to crash. Even with tech support help, it does not resolve itself.

What is our primary use case?

We use it as a network tool to alert any anomalies on the network.

What is most valuable?

Yes, we have had extensive use of tech support and they have not been as helpful as we would have liked. We had the crashing issue, and we had special sessions with tech support. The UAE representative and the IR response team were both on our site, and they could not understand why the system crashes. They configured the rules and then it crashed again. It is quite frustrating.

The packet has a model that is called the extracting and it doesn't really work that well. Usually, it crashes and the re-issue improves it because it is one of the main functions that we use and it doesn't work properly.

It was very hard to implement. After implementation, we found e had to revise everything. With help of support, we eventually managed to stabilize it. But, it took a full year to do so.

The only other solution similar to this is Solera and I do not think our organization will be switching to that.

Elias Lefate Tebele
ACD - Level 3 Analyst at a tech services company with 10,001+ employees
Advance monitoring and alerting feature is not stable, though it is easy to integrate common data sources

How has it helped my organization?

Reliable in terms of no data loss. Plays a huge role in device health checks (Event Source Monitor). Provides FSEs relevant information prior to end user problem solutions (if data sources are integrated and parsed properly).

What is most valuable?

• Packet Solution: Allows analyst proactive hunting and alerting on daily sophisticated APTs.
  • Broker service: Aggregate multiple concentrator devices deployed in various sites which accelerates analyst’s duties.
  • Archiver – Does log retention for three to five years for forensics purposes or targeted investigations in the future.

What needs improvement?

Advance monitoring and alerting feature is not stable (Event Stream Analysis). Does not allow certain use cases running parallel.

The reporting module: If only their dashboards resembled anything you would see on any BI reporting tools.

More than once with fine tuning use cases (ESA feature) for real-time monitoring.

Reporting feature suddenly limits the amount of log extraction over certain cycles.

Never.

An eight out of 10. RSA tech support is awesome.

Sometimes they face huge challenges when an unknown bug hits their system and tech support must take their cases to engineering.

None in production other than RSA. However, I will be using IBM QRadar towards the end of this year.

I was never involved in setting up the solution with any of my employers. I get to learn the architecture and see the environment once it's complete.

RSA licensing ranges per core devices and services.

An additional Designated Support Engineer can be acquired at quite a pricy cost. They are reliable as your system and will be given a higher priority than any other support case(s).

Our partnership with RSA was already in place. No room for evaluation.

Top SIEM tools such as HP Arcsight, McAfee ESM, and IBM QRadar.

What other advice do I have?

Either operating this solution in-house or reselling. First, outline all your data sources. Give more priority to the assets you want to protect.

Event source type and versions will be key.

Additional useful features:

• Easy to integrate common data sources.
  • User friendly GUI.
  • Basic SQL rule syntax.

We are using RSA Security analytics version 10.6.3.2 and upgrading to 10.6.4 in mid-September. NetWitness suite v11 is due in October as a major upgrade.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Partner and reseller.
it_user365328
Founder & CEO at a tech services company with 11-50 employees
The Alerting Module provides real-time event processing language on the logs/packets stream.

• "Alerting Module: It provides real-time event processing language on all the logs/packets stream for advanced alerting, i.e., using SQL LIKE statements."
  • "Health monitoring of the event sources and devices."

How has it helped my organization?

As mentioned elsewhere, this product provides full visibility for the activities in the networks and systems. For example, it provides detection of the attacks in early stages (brute-force attacks), by which the attackers try to gain access to the systems, by trying to log in using different usernames and passwords (might be in a dictionary).

What is most valuable?

RSA NetWitness is a SIEM and real-time network traffic solution. It collects logs/packets and applies a set of alerting, reporting and analysis rules on them. Thus, it provides the enterprise with a full visibility of the networks and activities of the systems.

Its main features/components are:

• Investigation Module: It is the location where the SOC analysts can find all logs/packets captured in a time-frame, that are related/non-related and have drill-down/filtration capabilities all in one table, for investigation and analysis.
  • Alerting Module: It provides real-time event processing language on all the logs/packets stream for advanced alerting, i.e., using SQL LIKE statements.
  • Reporting Module: It provides advanced reporting capabilities.
  • Dashboard Module: It provides dashboards for specific activities on the systems and networks.
  • Command and Control Detection: In additional to identifying the C&C IPs through threat intelligence, NetWitness investigates the packets to determine any type of suspicious C&C communication, by using a feature called Automated Threat Detection.
  • Threat Hunting Package: By using this advanced technique, NetWitness automatically investigates all the service sessions, files/packets and then it identifies any IoCs, BoCs and EoCs.
  • Context Lookup: In order to give an overview during investigation, this feature highlights any value related to the previous alert, incident, RSA ECAT feed mentioned or even if it had any comment from the RSA community, that leads to detecting any recent attack (even if it is still not announced on threat intelligence).
  • Incident Module: It provides an automated incident handling utility to ensure that right actions have been taken to close the incident.
  • Malware Analysis Module: It provides a file analysis environment including sandboxing, community etc., so as to investigate more of the files captured through the environment traffic.

What needs improvement?

• Out-of-the-box alerts and investigation rules
  • Health monitoring of the event sources and devices
  • Threat intelligence for data accuracy

We encountered stability issues in the earlier versions, and much fewer in the newer versions.

There were no scalability issues.

The new pricing and licensing mechanisms are fair. I would advise always to get the full solution (i.e., not only Logs).

I did not evaluate other solutions.

What other advice do I have?

The only thing I advise others is to spend enough time for fine-tuning and the initial rule development.

You should also develop a plan for the ongoing development and fine-tuning, as found in all the other leading SIEM solutions.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a sub-contractor.
it_user619134
Direct Sales Director at a tech services company with 501-1,000 employees
We can investigate incidents based on logs and raw packets.

• "Possibility to investigate incidents based on logs and raw packets, such as extracting files sent over the network"
  • "The system architecture is complex and sometimes it’s hard to troubleshoot potential problems."

What is most valuable?

Full packet capture: A must in an SOC

Built-in Incident Management module for small security/SOC teams

Advanced correlation engine based on metadata flow: Provides nearly real time correlation

Rich reporting options

How has it helped my organization?

We can monitor all traffic to/from our company.

It is possible to track end user behaviour.

With RSA NetWitness Endpoint, we are able to monitor not only the network, but also what’s happening on endpoints, i.e., behaviour analytics for processes inside the operating system.

Thanks to this tool, we have a small SOC running in our company.

What needs improvement?

Integration with external tools should be built-in, such as an external sandbox for files.

We can import data using external feeds, using STIX or CVS files.

The REST API is poor

RSA should improve backup options and High Availability architecture.

Data is stored on separate components without redundancy. It’s possible to have backup for data, but you have to use an external backup solution.

I have used this product for two and a half years.

The system is stable if you provide enough CPU, RAM, and HDD (IOPS). Sizing should be done by RSA Professional Services or by an experienced partner for Virtual Machines. The hardware is sized well.

There were no scalability issues, but you have to know what you are doing. Proper network deployment is important. Metadata flows are quite big between internal system components. Of course, it depends on how many network packets and logs are logged into the system.

I would give technical support a rating of 8/10. Sometimes you have to wait for an initial response, especially if it’s not a critical problem. But when they start investigating, they do it quite well.

For full packet capture, we had Blue Coat Security Analytics. We switched because in NetWitness, we have everything needed to run a small SOC in our company.(Packets, logs, endpoints, incident management module, correlation, reporting, and investigation available for analysts.)

It’s a very easy product to install, when you know what you are doing. Customers without any experience should cooperate with RSA Professional Services or a partner company. It’s too complex of a product to deploy for someone without experience. It can be done, but the value coming from RSA or a partner is incomparable.

Prepare use cases, i.e., what to do and how.

Collect information about EPS for logs and total bandwidth for packets. This will allow you to properly size the licensing.

Hardware is too expensive in my opinion (Eastern Europe). It’s cheaper to run virtual machines in a VMware environment. (Keep in mind that CPU, RAM, and especially HDD requirements must be matched.)

We had Blue Coat Security Analytics, but we’re an RSA partner so it was natural to use the technology available to us.

What other advice do I have?

• Don’t rush. Prepare use cases for packets and logs as it is a very important part of deployment and future use.
  • Use RSA Professional Services or a partner. Don’t deploy alone.
  • A basic administration course is a must for all administrators.
  • System architecture may be very easy or very complex. Do sizing well with external help.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: RSA Partner.
it_user130770
Managing Architect at a tech company with 10,001+ employees
Since the solution has been under way we have seen a large decrease of threats and proactive reactions to incidents.

Valuable Features

I have found the Security Intelligence most valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

Adding Threat Globe and SA(Analytics).

Room for Improvement

Cross Platform Integration could be improved.

Use of Solution

I have been using the solution for more than 8 Years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

Customer Service: It's good for Enterprise Customer’s.Technical Support: It's good for Enterprise Customer’s.

ROI

Other Advice

Valuable Features

I have found the Security Intelligence most valuable.

Improvements to My Organization

Adding Threat Globe and SA(Analytics).

Room for Improvement

Cross Platform Integration could be improved.

Use of Solution

I have been using the solution for more than 8 Years.

No issues with deployment.

No issues with stability.

ROI

Other Advice

This purely is an Enterprise Product and one has to have a defined budget and plan; it’s good to fit Business requirements first, and then go for products.
Download our free RSA NetWitness Logs and Packets (RSA SIEM) Report and get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions.