Please share with the community what you think needs improvement with erwin Data Intelligence (DI) for Data Governance.
What are its weaknesses? What would you like to see changed in a future version?
If we are talking about the business side of the product, maybe the Data Literacy could be made a bit simpler. You have to put your hands on it, so there is room for improvement.
It does have some customization, but it is not quite as robust as erwin DM. It's not like everything can have as many user-defined properties or customized pieces as I might like. There are a lot of little things like moving between read screens and edit screens. Those little human interface type of programming pieces will need to mature a bit to make it easier to get to where you want to go to put the stuff in.
There is room for improvement in automation, no question. Also, the fact that I sometimes have to go in and out of different applications, even though it's all part of the whole erwin suite, perhaps means it could be architected a little bit better. I think they do have some ideas for improvements there. But regarding the data governance tool itself, for me there was a huge learning curve, and I'd been in software development for most of my career. The application itself, and how it runs menus and screens when you can modify and code, is complex. I have found that kind of cumbersome. I had one guy make an error and it costs us a few days because it had an impact on a whole slew of options and objects because he didn't know what he was doing. That was not their fault; it was purely my fault, allowing that to happen. For me, that was a struggle.
The SDK behind this entire product needs improvement. The company really should focus more on this because we were finding some inconsistencies on the LDK level. Everything worked fine from the UI perspective, but when we started doing some deep automation scripts going through multiple API calls inside the tool, then only some pieces of it work or it would not return the exact data it was supposed to do. This is the number one area for improvement. The tool provides the WSDL API as another point to access the data. This is the same story as with the SDK. We are heavily using this API and are finding some inconsistencies in its responses, especially as we are going for more nonstandard features inside. The team has been fixing this for us, so we have some support. This was probably overlooked by the product team to focus more on the UI rather than on the API.