3Com H3C Switches Review

Reliable switches that don't require management

What is our primary use case?

These are Layer 2 switches. We have mostly Layer 2 and we have one Layer 4 switch.

We have a plan to move away from this product. If it works, they will be there just as a backup only. But for most of the equipment, we're moving towards newer products.

Within our company, we have around 200-plus terminals that are connected, meaning there are over 200 PCs connected.

What is most valuable?

They're straightforward and stable. They're built like a workhorse — you leave them alone and they do their thing.

Overall, they're a good product; they don't break down.

What needs improvement?

I think there's nothing that needs to be improved because the company is no longer in existence.

I have been using 3Com H3C Switches since 2003.

I think it's quite stable.

In terms of technical support, HP is better because HP gives us a lifetime warranty — 3Com has a limit. Only HP gives us this kind of warranty — nobody else does that.

Everything is very straightforward. Whether it's 3Com or it's HP or Aruba — they're all straightforward.

Deployment is pretty much a no brainer when it comes to switches. They're straightforward. You can define the VLAN and the link aggregation. You can do it the moment you put an IP address on the switches.

Regardless of whether it's HP or 3Com or even Cisco — they're all very similar. It's all quite simple equipment so they're easy to manage.

We installed everything ourselves. You don't need staff for deployment and maintenance. You just have to plug it in and it runs on its own.

It's practically the same for most switches. But I have to say that the high-end switches, for Layer 2, I think there are some Layer 2 switches that are breaking down, or they just started breaking down. It has to do with age and production design. It's different for the high-end switches compared to the entry-level switches.

What other advice do I have?

If I had to go back in time, I might go with HP. HP is a better investment down the road.

On a scale from one to ten, I would give 3Com H3C Switches a rating of eight.

More 3Com H3C Switches reviews from users
...who compared it with HPE Ethernet Switches
Find out what your peers are saying about Hewlett Packard Enterprise, D-Link, Cisco and others in Ethernet Switches. Updated: January 2021.
455,301 professionals have used our research since 2012.