3Com H3C Switches Review

I like IRF, a form of redundancy that allows many switches to share one control panel.

What is most valuable?

What I like about HP switches is something called IRF, a form of redundancy that allows many switches to share one control panel.

How has it helped my organization?

Total cost of ownership and consolidation of the switches is very good.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see in future versions their management for IPv6 to be driven more heavily.

We found some security holes in some of their switches, but overall it's fairly stable.

Scalability is related to the consolidation of many switches into one management plan, so we have to hire less administrators to manage it.

I don’t have a lot of direct experience, so I can’t comment.

Complicated politics with the government of China. Disney is mostly Cisco, and they wanted to investigate whether to bring in more HP stuff.

It’s fairly straightforward.

Cisco and basically all others were on our list. They have a partnership with HP China, so we chose HP.

What other advice do I have?

• We just needed an alternative vendor to Cisco.
  • It fulfills our needs, but isn’t perfect.
  • Support for open protocol standards, security, and are all important factors to consider.
  • Cisco has huge tech support, and no one matches them right now for routing and switching.