Acronis Backup Review
If a hard drive fails, we can recover to another hard drive.

Valuable Features

It has the ability to backup and move to a different machine if the machine dies. I haven't been able to use this feature yet, but I know it will come in handy. The ability to move from one machine to another for backup if a machine completely fails. We have a backup of not only the machine, i.e., the hard drive and data, but we also have the ability to recover to a new piece of equipment fairly quickly. That's one of the more important features.

It makes a full image of the hard drive. If a hard drive fails, all we do is recover to another hard drive. We just pop in the hard drive and that's very fast as well. Speed and the ease in which we recover full hard drives are valuable features.

Click Here for FREE Trial of Acronis Backup. See Why It Gets 5-Star Reviews.

Room for Improvement

Some of the default settings out-of-the-box should already be set up for the novice user. For instance, the warnings that say a hard drive has bad sectors and stops the backup from performing.

My suggestion would be to still give the warnings that there are bad sectors on the hard drive, but continue to backup. It could then offer the option of whether to stop backups, or stop them from performing.

During my first experience with backing up, I ended up coming across an error and the solution was to mark that checkbox that said, "Skip bad sector warnings." I didn't know that existed. It would just make it easier for first time users if no matter what, it would make a backup and just give you the warnings.

I wouldn't say we had stability issues as much as I would say that we have errors that may or may not affect the backup. For instance, we were backing up a computer that uses Windows 7 Embedded. It warned me that this would probably not work, but it did. I don't know if that's a stability issue or if that's just making sure of backup success.

Our facility is small such that scalability is not a problem.

I did use technical support and I give it the highest rating. The technical support we received when doing a recovery handled our questions. They were able to resolve any questions that we had.

We did use Backup Exec. It belonged to Symantec at the time. Now it's Veritas. The reason we switched was because I experienced firsthand what Acronis could do using the Western Digital version, the free version, or the version that comes with Western Digital drives. I was very impressed.

I went deeper, got into Acronis, and it was recommended by a company from whom we purchase equipment. It's just a solid product in my experience.

The setup complexity was medium. The single disk is easy. The advanced version for multiple computers was medium in complexity.

ROI

It has already paid off itself in the first few months that we implemented it.

Other Solutions Considered

I tried Clonezilla and Backup Exec.

Click Here for FREE Trial of Acronis Backup. See Why It Gets 5-Star Reviews.

Other Advice

Watch out for that “Skip bad sectors” setting if you plan on running this software unattended. Don't hesitate to call Acronis support. They will be ready and willing to help you right away.

The software warned Windows 7 Embedded was not supported, yet the backup/restore still worked despite the warning I was given.