Acronis Backup Review

We needed a solution for backing up the server OS and servers with RAIDs. Reliability has been really good.

What is most valuable?

Getting an image of a server machine just for disaster recovery purposes is valuable.

We have used it to back up systems and we have recovered systems. The amount of features that it has and reliability has been really good.

How has it helped my organization?

When we first started, we didn’t have the ability to back up servers, per se, that had RAID drives on them. Years ago we were trying Ghost backup or some other more consumer-based products. Then when we found Acronis, we were actually able to back up the server OS on a RAID drive Blu-ray.

What needs improvement?

The newer version 12 was a little bit hard to set up and get licensed. When I went to version 12, the actual license page wouldn’t come up in an Internet Explorer browser, so we had to change to another browser as a workaround to get to the licensing page. That happened on at least two different installations of that version.

I haven’t worked with 12.5 yet, but this issue was on Version 12. I worked with technical support and we tried a couple of things, but then, that licensing page would always come up blank in Internet Explorer. Then, when we changed to a different browser, it did come up and we were able to license it.

I have been using Acronis for about 10 years.

We didn’t have stability issues. After I got it licensed, it worked fine.

I would rate it high in that department.

I rate technical support a 10 out of 10.

We were using Norton or Norton Ghost or maybe DriveImage Backup. Then, we switched because we needed a solution for backing up the server OS, and then for servers that contained more than just one single hard drive in a RAID configuration.

Setup is straightforward.

We did look around at the different options. I can’t recall the names of them now, but other commercial server-level products that would do the same thing, but they were probably a little higher in price. At the time they are higher in price and Acronis was more competitive that way.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend it. At my company we’ve used it widely. It’s actually in a lot of our best practices documents to use this product, so we've kind of adopted it unofficially.