Acronis Backup Review

Very flexible with options to select files to ignore as well as incremental and differential backups

How has it helped my organization?

Up to now, it was fantastic. Whenever we had a problem, we just restored the image. Every first of the month I'm doing a full image backup, and every day of the month a differential backup.

The improvement is that if something happens, I can go back very quickly. I keep all my data in different locations. The partition where I'm using the image, it's actually like an engine. So, if something happens, I just put the engine back and get back to work very, very quickly.

What is most valuable?

I use the backup recovery for work station, for server, and disk director.

I also like the fact they provide real support. I have human support, which is very important, and they've really improved.

The software is very, very flexible, there are a lot of options. I can encrypt the data, I can make it send me an email if it fails. It lets me choose which files I want to ignore during backup. I can do incremental or differential. And there is the Universal Restore, which is less and less important today, but it's still there.

What needs improvement?

Recently there was an event where I thought everything was working OK but, in part, the image wasn't good. It didn't give me a message telling me that the image didn't work properly. But that's very rare. Usually the backup works fine.

I would prefer that they not change the interface every time there is a new release. The best one was actually the one from 2009. It was very easy to use. But I just bought the server, 12.5, a couple of weeks ago. I had to call one of the technicians to help set it up. It was so complicated. And I still don't know how to use it. It's very, very complicated.

And you know, at the end of the day, we want things to work seamlessly, to work really quickly and easy. It's a shame they're making all these changes. We don't need them. They should improve the program without changing all these things, just add things.

If I could create a protected image backup on a computer partition that just would be just for the image backup; and only the program could access it to prevent viruses from getting into it. That would be very, very good.

I can't really say, as I'm just using it for myself.

Recently, fantastic. I'm very happy with them. I actually complained to the head office a few times two years ago because it was a disaster. There were people who barely knew what they were talking about. Recently, I've had a very good technician, very proactive, and I'm very happy with them.

Previously I used Ghost from Symantec. I also tried other products at the same time just to make sure I was making the right decision. No question that the Acronis is better than everyone else.