Akana API Management Review

Intuitive solution with good interface; currently lacks an integrated billing feature

What is most valuable?

The interface is good. The policies that it uses as opposed to the features that it has in terms of security and the throughput management and those aspects, are intuitive. There's also the ease of use.

What needs improvement?

The product currently doesn't have a feature for integrated billing, so it's on the monitors or EPS, it's something they could add as an additional feature. The other thing is perhaps a SaaS version of Akana would also help.

I've been using this solution for a few months.

I haven't seen it in production yet, so I can't comment on stability.

We haven't tested it yet, but I believe the solution will scale. At the end of the day, it's an API management tool. We currently have three people in the company doing some sort of proof of concept on that.

We actually did reach out to the technical support and it was all right, not great. We didn't get the answers we needed.

We tried out the AWS VPN advantage gateway and the other API management. Those products are out of the box and are therefore much simpler to use, but we also wanted to see an on-prem version of it, so that's when we took up Akana.

Implementation didn't take too long, maybe a few weeks.

What other advice do I have?

The thing is that there are the other API gateways out there as well. There is a tool called Kong and a tool called Tyk, which are open source versions your decision depends upon the scale of the company. If you have someone who can work with open source, I would recommend using Kong. If you have a lot of money, I would suggest Apogee, but Apogee's quite expensive from what I gathered, as is Akana. The problem with Akana and Apogee is that the pricing models are not very clear upfront. It's not easy to know whether you want to invest in them unless it's clear what the cost will be. We always have to reach out to the sales team first, and only then it's possible to figure out what the pricing model is.

I would rate this solution a seven out of 10.

More Akana API Management reviews from users