Amazon RDS Review

Good overall features, a good community version, and an easy initial setup

What is our primary use case?

We primarily have many tools, including Jira, that are currently using RDS. It's mainly used by developers.

How has it helped my organization?

The provisioning is much faster. You don't have to prepare hardware or install software. You just need to create an instance and you have a database.

What is most valuable?

The RDS is a community version, so there are many common features that are basic. It's not an enterprise version, but all the features are very good overall.

What needs improvement?

A lot of the features are disabled by default. The solution should enable more features. I understand this could cause challenges to management for many clients using RDS, however.

I've been using the solution for less than a year, but some people on my team have been using it longer.

The stability os really good. I like it.

We haven't expanded on the solution, so I'm unsure about if it would scale well or not. We have a bunch of teams using the solution in the company, but they're small.

We haven't contacted technical support.

We are currently using a lot of other solutions as well. We have Oracle, we have PP2, and MySQL. We have a secret server as well.

The initial setup is straightforward. Deployment took about ten minutes.

We handled the deployment ourselves.

We use the community version of the solution. I believe we only pay for the storage, but I'm not sure how it works exactly.

We didn't evaluate other solutions before choosing RDS. Since we're using everything else that is Amazon, it seemed like an obvious choice.

What other advice do I have?

We're currently expanding multiple versions of the solution. We use the cloud deployment model and most clients are also in the AWS environment.

I'd advise others to pay attention to the sizing, You don't want to over or under-size.

I'd rate the solution eight out of ten.