Ansible Review

It is very extensible. There are many plugins and modules out there that everybody helps create to interact with different cloud providers.

What is our primary use case?

You can literally automate everything. Whatever you want to do if you did it with shell scripts, you can do it in Ansible. There is also the ability to use Tower AWX, which allows you to store your variables in a hierarchy.

If you're familiar with the Puppet product from more than six years ago, it allowed you to do inheritance on variables. Ansible made sure that they had that in their product. It's also not agent-driven. Therefore, you don't have the added extra bloat to your deployments. Just run your command, then get the code. You can deploy using packages on Ansible or you could deploy binary files by copying over.

How has it helped my organization?

It allows people without a lot of knowledge or expertise in a CI/CD pipeline to deploy it other than knowing how to write code. It allows them to look at what someone else has done and easily read it, then copy and paste into their own if they're creating a new app. They can also utilize what is already there.

What is most valuable?

It is very extensible. There are many plugins and modules out there that everybody helps create to interact with different cloud providers as well. Roles that sum up all the playbooks that you might have. You might have a giant playbook which is doing a lot of things just for one app. However, there may be other people who have also tried to do the same thing. So, they create these roles, and you're able to automate easier without needing all those playbooks. You can have role declaration with a couple of Rs.

What needs improvement?

In Community, there's a lot of effort towards testing, standardizing, and testing for module development to role development, which is why Molecule is now becoming real. Same thing with Zuul, which we are starting to implement. Zulu tests out modules from third-party sources, like ourselves, and verifies that the modules work before they are committed to the code. Currently, Ansible can't do this with all the modules out there.

Three to five years.

It is stable.

The only issues that I have ever had were with brand new modules, which weren't really ready yet, and they were marked as testing or development modules.

I have never had any scalability problems. I have deployed 2000 computers all at once in the past for a previous employer.

I usually just use the community. If you hop on IRC Channel, the Ansible channel, there are tons of people who are helping each other out all the time and helping the community grow.

There is a lot of documentation on their website as well, which is unlike most tools out there. It is very thorough and detailed. It has how-tos and examples. You can even deep dive into Jinja and its more advanced features to understand what you're doing.

You install Ansible and are done. Even YUM or DNF installs, they are pretty easy to install. All the core modules support Python 3, so if you're moving to Python 3, it works. Python 2.7 is pretty much standard.

I was a very big Bash script guy years ago on automating deployments. Then, I moved into Puppet. I did Puppet for a few years, and was very involved in the community there as well. After that, I moved over to SaltStack. The design of SaltStack was a bit complicated, as it felt very split brain. So, I did that for about six months, then I decided to look more at Ansible, which I dabbled with for about two years before I started using it. It was a little complicated to use as the action system was weird, but they have over come a lot of those issues. Now, the Ansible modules are simple and easy to use, so I moved to Ansible and haven't changed since then.

What other advice do I have?

It simplifies everything. You can see what is happening actively on your screen. Now, with Tower and AWX, you are able to see the output afterwards. You can set up cron through the web interface and see what happens.

1 visitor found this review helpful
1 Comment
author avatarVincent Thibault
TOP 5LEADERBOARDReal User

I like the portion related to comparison with some of the other alternatives.