Arbor DDoS Review

Stable, scalable, and handles complex environments

What is our primary use case?

We use Arbor DDoS in the Asia Pacific region for a couple of government clients and Financial sector. The primary use case is for different types of problems that we do not see with other solutions, such as IPS, IDS, and FireEye. It has that type of detection and it blocks things.

How has it helped my organization?

It detect and protect DDOS effectively.

What is most valuable?

We can reduce the bandwidth to minimize the attack level. If we see more than 2.5 GBs we drop it directly. Many times an attack is with hundreds of GBs on our devices. We're able to filter that out.

Also, it is able to find new, different IPs. Arbor keeps them for one or two days, but it will release them after some time. That enables us to blacklist them permanently so that we don't get that IP's traffic.

It also denies fragmented packets.

What needs improvement?

If we want to see live traffic, we can see do so. But once an attack that lasts for five minutes is done, the data is no longer there.  It would be an improvement if we could see recent traffic in the dashboard. We can check and download live traffic, but a past attack, with all the details, such as why it happened and how to mitigate and prevent such future attacks, would be helpful to see.

Three to five years.

It's a stable solution. We haven't had any issues up until now, except for one or two times. On those occasions, we found attacks were getting through but then we realized we needed to update the signature database. Since then, it has been working fine. It is blocking as it should.

There haven't been any bugs.

We haven't had any issues with the scalability.

Technical support is good. They respond swiftly.

We found what we wanted in Arbor DDoS. It met our expectations, as IT users of different types of complex environments. It fit our needs. After we did the PoC, we found that this product is good. It was scalable and stable.

The initial setup is complex.

Deployment took about four months. After getting vendor support for installation, we then configured IP ranges for different clients. Then we set up the bandwidth and enabled logins.

There has not been much to deploy and maintain since then.

Arbor directly helped with the deployment.

DDoS is a major problem. If it infiltrates one device, it can move laterally, compromising much more. Up until now, we haven't lost any confidential data. The DDoS protection solution is a valuable tool to our organization.

We did look at competitors but I don't remember which ones now.

What other advice do I have?

We have two teams that work with it. There is the maintenance team and we are the team that takes action.

I would rate Arbor DDoS at eight out of ten. It's stable, it's scalable, and it can handle complex environments.

Under Attack?