Aspera Managed File Transfer Review

Good user interface but implementation was a complex process

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case of the product was for video file transfers and large binary file transfers. We are partners of Aspera and I'm the CTO of our company.

What is most valuable?

I would say that the user interface was a good feature, and the ability to set up multiple file transfer jobs was also an asset.

What needs improvement?

The software licensing pricing model could be improved and simplified with portability. I'd also like to see the ability to upgrade software licenses. Once you buy that software license, you're done. If you buy a license for 10 miles an hour, you want to get 20 miles an hour. That means you need to buy a 20 mile an hour license because you can't add 10 miles an hour to the 10 mile an hour license. What I'd like to see is the ability to increase, to add capacity to an existing license. I'd also like to see a simple, quick start wizard because the implementation is not easy.

I used this solution for about three months.

Deployment of the product is somewhat complex and it was also difficult to get support, very difficult to get support. I was never able to get it running particularly well. I took a couple of months to try and make it work and I couldn't do it. I attempted to use a consultant. We had two or three people trying to use the solution.

What other advice do I have?

From my experience, I think the solution requires details, network engineering and firewall admin support. I think a more simple deployment and better technical support would make a big difference.