Azure Sentinel Review

Quick to set up with good automation and integrates well with Microsoft products

What is our primary use case?

We are running an MDR service for our customers and use Azure Sentinel as the SIEM product to allow us to have an overview of all our customers, but also to easily push configurations to different customers.

We use Azure Sentinel as an alert aggregator to import all of the incidents/alerts from the different (Microsoft) security products in order to have a single pane of glass. On top of that, we create our own custom Analytics Rule that can be used to add our own added value. This enables us to create our own IP to protect customers.

How has it helped my organization?

It's really convenient for us to aggregate the logs/alerts from all our customers into a single pane of glass. By using the automation capabilities, it's relatively easy to sync all incidents to our ITSM tool which we can use to follow up on incidents. As it's based on the Microsoft stack, it's convenient for our engineers to learn the product. As Azure Sentinel is also a big focus for Microsoft, we have the ability to work with them on certain products. This creates visibility within the community and for new customers.

What is most valuable?

There are three valuable aspects of the solution: MSSP support, integration with Microsoft, and Automation. By using Azure Lighthouse, an MSSP can easily integrate their applications into their own baseline of policies/configurations.

Because Sentinel is built as an MS-first product, it integrates natively with other Microsoft products, which is really convenient as we are standardized on it. Without much work, you can connect any Microsoft product to it.

Last, but not least, Sentinel uses Azure Logic Apps for automation, which is really powerful. This allows us to easily automate responses to incidents.

What needs improvement?

Azure Sentinel is constantly growing. Throughout the two years we have been using it, we have seen it expand tremendously. A lot of the limitations we had originally seen have already been mitigated. A couple of potential improvements could be: allow for a streamlined CI/CD procedure. Now it's a combination of using API/Powershell and ARM which is not ideal. Also, it should allow us to ingest on-prem logs by using a SaaS platform to ingest CEF/Syslog logs that also allow for prefiltering. This would allow us to minimize the cost of the solution.

I've been using the solution for 1.5 years.

We didn't use another SIEM product before Azure Sentinel.

The cost can be a little confusing at first, but the Azure calculator is a great place to start. I would advise to start with integrating Microsoft products first, as this is the most convenient way forward and allows you to learn the product as you go.

In general, Azure Sentinel can be set up really quickly.

Microsoft Azure
**Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We are a Microsoft partner
More Azure Sentinel reviews from users
...who compared it with Splunk
Learn what your peers think about Azure Sentinel. Get advice and tips from experienced pros sharing their opinions. Updated: September 2021.
536,114 professionals have used our research since 2012.