Bitbucket Server Review

Good management for version control, with a helpful community

What is our primary use case?

I do a lot of data acquisitions. I establish several contacts and get accounts generated on our clusters so that our researchers can process the data.

We use Bitbucket to get flows for our pipeline management. We outline the scripts that we write to keep them in there for version control.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature of this solution is server management.

There are other solutions that do that, but this is a solution that the global IT department has available for everyone across the organization.

What needs improvement?

It would be useful if we were able to work and manage other tickets; for example, if I were to use Jira, Confluence, or Bitbucket, all from a command-line standpoint, in addition to the web interface, it would be incredibly helpful.

I know that there are tools, packages, and different plugins that I can use to collaborate from a command-line standpoint, or through other tools, but putting the functionality into a new version would definitely help.

Some of the capabilities that I am looking for from a command line are not really available.

I have been using this solution for three, four, maybe five years.

We use a few different versions, but they are all older.

It's a stable solution, but there are times where it's indexing, and if it happens during the time that I am using it, then it's not very stable. We have been using it for years, so there is a lot of data.

It's scalable. The newer cloud versions of the tools may or may not alleviate the issues with stability, which is a problem with the version that I have.

I have not contacted technical support.

They have a community. If anybody has a question they will be willing to help and blog posts.

Anybody can look at to learn more about their products and how to use the different solutions that they have.

A lot of what they have is for the new versions, which are cloud-based. For example, they are actively working on different plugins.

We use Amazon and Google Cloud storage solutions. Also, AWS buckets, GCP buckets, and Kubernetes, but it depends on what's in the contract and available for the researcher, for both internal and external applications.

I was not a part of the initial setup.

I am not familiar with how it is set up. It was done through our global team and made available for the company.

I am not aware of the pricing.

What other advice do I have?

If anybody was considering this tool, I would be expecting that they would really evaluate it and know what the functionalities are ahead of time.

There are other tools that are similar, so make sure to look at everything available in that space and make sure it fits their needs.

I would rate Bitbuck Server an eight out of ten.

More Bitbucket Server reviews from users
...who compared it with AWS CodeCommit
Find out what your peers are saying about Atlassian, IBM, Amazon and others in Version Control. Updated: June 2021.
521,189 professionals have used our research since 2012.