Bromium Review
Isolation feature contains, prevents attacks, but we have faced compatibility issues

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use for the solution is security. Our number one reason for buying it was to avoid phishing campaigns, phishing emails, and contain phishing problems.

How has it helped my organization?

Our security posture has improved. I don't have any specific metrics but it has definitely contained and prevented some malicious attacks from happening.

Normally when we get a phishing attack, a positive on a workstation, that workstation then needs to be cleaned and rebuilt and the attack contained. With Bromium, it is actually isolated, so we have saved money on rebuilding machines.

What is most valuable?

The isolation feature is the most important because it prevents attacks.

What needs improvement?

They need to improve the compatibility with other applications and its stability. It works well on attacks, but it doesn't work well with all software on the clients. There is a lot of troubleshooting and a lot of things that need to be tuned to make it work and not break things.

Especially when we first deployed it, it was very unstable, very troublesome. It has gotten leaps and bounds better over the past few years, its stability has definitely improved. But there are still issues, various applications have issues being compatible with it.

It definitely is resource intensive, and it needs proper hardware to run, usually 8GB of RAM and no less than that unless you want problems. Most of our problems were because of lack of proper hardware to carry the load.

Their tech support is okay. We have Premier Support so we have a dedicated person that we work with on a weekly basis. That has definitely been excellent. I can't speak about their normal support because most of our issues are handled through our Premier account rep.

There's really nothing else that does what Bromium does. They're a thought leader in the area of isolation. We used antivirus in the past, but we didn't go away from it. We complemented it with Bromium and it's done a pretty good job.

The initial setup was very straightforward, very basic policies, not a lot of complicated policies involved. We found it pretty straightforward.

The deployment, on a scale of one to ten, with one being the hardest and ten being the easiest, was about a six. There are a few reasons. First, it requires a reboot, so it is very intrusive for the end-user, and it also requires an initialization period, which is usually about 20 minutes of slowdown to a workstation. So when you deploy, not only is the user asked to reboot their computer, they are also asked to wait for 20 minutes while it sits there and initializes. It definitely impacts the end-user. It takes time away from their day.

We try to minimize that impact by scheduling our deployments right before lunch so that they can reboot and then it can initialize while they are at a lunch break. But, of course, not everybody works the same hours. A lot of other agents do not require a reboot and are pretty invisible to the end-user. This is definitely "in your face" to the end-user.

It's hard to calculate ROI. The return we see is, as I mentioned: Previously, we would have to rebuild a workstation. How much that costs in an organization is very dependent on each organization. Let's say it is $5,000 to rebuild a workstation with all the labor, etc. involved. You multiply that by how many infections you have per year. There is your return on investment.

I would estimate, based on ten infections a year times $5,000, that we have had some $50,000 in savings a year on labor and rebuilding workstations.

In addition, when something does infect a computer, there is always lateral movement that can happen. This prevents all of that, so it gives us more confidence that the problem is contained.

The product's pricing is a good value.

We only run it on our internet-facing workstations, we don't run it on everything in our environment. We are very selective. Some organizations may want to consider doing something like that to reduce their license count.

We didn't do any kind of bake-off because Bromium is really very unique in what it does and it's the only game in town.

What other advice do I have?

Start with proper hardware: 8GB of RAM and Core processors. Don't try to run it on 32-bit software, 32-bit operating systems, and don't try to run it with 4GB of RAM or you will have lots of issues. If you start with good hardware, the issues that we had will be negligible.

I give it a rating of six out of ten because the main thing about Bromium - while it's the only game in town, it really does something unique that no one else is doing - the reasons I knocked it down are the support, the compatibility issues. Whatever team is in charge of maintaining the product, it will definitely increase their workload in troubleshooting potential issues with other things.