CA API Management Review
Provides different form factors, API virtualization and lifecycle management, data security, and scalability. Improvements needed in analytics, reporting, logging, tracking, SSO and user experience.
What is our primary use case?
- API Life Cycle Management
CA API Management powers the next generation of mobile and Internet of Things (IoT) applications by providing reliable connectivity between data, people, apps and devices. You can aggregate and orchestrate data from multiple data sources into modern REST APIs almost instantly. Whether your data is in legacy systems, disparate databases, or the cloud, you will be able to bring it all together to power new digital initiatives at scale in modern apps or SaaS applications.
How has it helped my organization?
It improved how we function in the following areas:
- Protecting all enterprise application data from direct access by virtualization.
- Transforming SOAP services to REST services easily on the gateway without impacting existing systems.
- Providing security for all API's exposed through API Gateway at one common location.
- Migration of APIs from one environment to other.
- Providing high availability with horizontal scaling and multi cluster.
- Managing the API lifecycle.
- Exposing enterprise data to the external world.
- Securing Mobile App communication using MAG.
- Integrating easily with other systems.
What is most valuable?
The most valuable features to me are:
- Different Form Factors: Available as Software, Virtual Appliance, Amazon Machine Image and Hardware.
- API Virtualization: Creating virtual APIs by shielding the actual enterprise resources on API Gateway.
- Security: Enterprise data security and central management in API Gateway.
- API Lifecycle Management: Enable, Disable, Assigning, Deprecating and Deleting APIs on API Portal
- Scalability: API Gateway is easily scalable horizontally and managed easily.
- Mobile SSO is another feature/capability which available.
What needs improvement?
- The API Development tool can be made more user-friendly by providing folder properties.
- Assertions for common functionalities (like mathematical operations, string manipulations, connecting to non-SQL).
- Masking the user credentials entered in Identity Provider, JDBC based on user role
- Analytics and reporting need to be made better and more user-friendly; add some custom reports both on the Developer Portal and API Gateway; exporting of analytics and an email facility.
- Logging and tracking of changes done by users in the Developer Portal.
For how long have I used the solution?
Three to five years.
What do I think about the stability of the solution?
CA API Management solution is very stable also scalable.
What do I think about the scalability of the solution?
I did not have any issues with scalability.
How is customer service and technical support?
Customer service is good
The level of technical support is good.
Which solutions did we use previously?
I did not try any other solutions previously.
How was the initial setup?
Initial setup is straightforward. It is simple,easy to do and quick to go to market
What was our ROI?
Overall cost saving, growth in business
What's my experience with pricing, setup cost, and licensing?
I feel that it is costly for small/medium-sized companies.
Which other solutions did I evaluate?
I did not evaluate other products, but have read about them and the features they provide.
What other advice do I have?
Check what is required and whether it can be achieved easily without any compromise, see how flexible its to use and maintain.
Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: We're CA partner's and implement to the customer who have purchased the CA API Management . We do also contribute in development of the product.
Nov 22 2018