Ca2

CA API Management Review
We leveraged the UAR tool kit to design a hospital patient portal. Developers can focus on functionality.

Valuable Features

The most valuable features are reliability and scalability; it's just easy to deploy across our environment. We like those features.

Improvements to My Organization

It certainly filled the API management needs of our organization. For example, we were in the process of designing a patient portal for the hospital, and we were able to quickly leverage the UAR tool kit that’s available. The developers didn't really have to think about security, even though in the healthcare industry, security is a big concern. And that was all leveraged from the robust tool kit available in API Management. Taking that heavy lifting away from the developers so they could focus on functionality and we could focus on delivering the secure access they needed, was great.

Room for Improvement

It's a great product. Just expand on it. I think CA has done a good job bringing the UI component to macOS; that’s good. And I think they're also doing a web UI version where you can create policies. I believe in the past, they had some limitations of what you could or couldn't do, but they are solving some of those issues.

CA is the leader in this space. So we look toward them for coming up with best practices to adopt. I'm not really an expert in that area.

Use of Solution

We've had it working for about 4 or 5 years

We've had it working for about 4 or 5 years now and apart from upgrades, we have never had a problem with outages or components breaking down.

We began with just one appliance. Then, as our needs grew, we put in a load balancer. It had multiple VMs talking together, which was fairly easy to do and we never had a problem with that either. From time to time, when we needed to take one server out of the load, it was an easy process; the other servers automatically absorbed the workload. That's a benefit for us.

We had API Management from when it was still Layer 7. Their people were certainly filling a lot of shoes because it was a smaller company at that point and you would see the eagerness for technical support to jump in, be hands on, and help you all the way through. Now, they try to push us towards the solutions and the consultants a little more. In a bigger organization, getting POs signed is not an easy process and when you want something that could take an hour or two hours to fix, now becomes a bigger hassle.

When we looked at this emerging API management need seven years ago, we looked at the Gartner recommendations and then looked at our organization’s needs at that time and kind of picked CA right from the beginning.

I jumped in to the second or third upgrade, not at the initial setup.

Other Advice

I would certainly recommend using this product. We've had a wonderful success story. And we've not had any issues with it. Even when the consultants do come out, they are very knowledgeable. They know the product inside and out and can implement it right on site. That is a plus.

When selecting a vendor, the interoperability between their different products that we have is important, as well as expandability. Additionally, we want to be able to configure the product to our liking. That helps us adopt it.

0 Comments

Anonymous avatar x30

Have A Question About CA API Management?

Our experts can help. 238,917 professionals have used our research on 5,955 solutions.