CA API Management Review

We can get more visibility into our data with their tool, however their upgrade solutions are complex

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is we are using the API Management Suite. It has the Gateway and Portal, and we are using the Gateway to front all the APIs in FedEx.

The Gateway is performing very well. The Portal is not.

How has it helped my organization?

We can get more visibility into our data.

The benefit of the Gateway is that it provides security, authorization authentication, and analytics. These are the main benefits which we are using it for.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable, for the Gateway, is it can front our APIs very easily, and it can integrate with FedEx easily, so those are good.

For the Portal, we are able to manage with APIs and documentation. However, there are a lot of improvements, which could be done on the Portal side.

What needs improvement?

For additional features, I would like to see how it can be deployed into the cloud platform out-of-the-box and not having to do a lot of the initial setup. If it can be done out-of-the-box, that will make customer's life very easy.

Their upgrade solutions are not straightforward. Therefore, we are running the older version. We wanted to go to the latest and greatest. However, it is really complex going from where we are to the next one.

It is fairly stable for the Gateway side. However, not for the Portal side.

We have seen that it can scale both vertically and horizontally.

We have used technical support quite often, and they are really good. We have opened multiple tickets, and they are very responsive, especially for the Severity 1 tickets.

The initial setup was very complex.

CA Service was helping me with the implementation.

Initially we were looking into different options. We looked into Apigee, Axway, and CA. We did the whole evaluation, and CA come out to be the winner, because CA is the market industry leader.

What other advice do I have?

From CA's new technologies, it looks like CA is moving in the right direction.

Look to your performance matrix and your benchmarks. What are you interested in? If you are looking for support, this is definitely the best solution.

Most important criteria when selecting a vendor: Performance is one of the major ones. Security is another.