CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS Review

The most useful feature is the ability to create strategies across the products.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we find most useful is the consistent ability to create 'strategies’ across the products. These strategies allow consistent foundations for the business processes and provide the ability to repetitively use them by different resources. These 'strategies' allow the establishment of methods that fit directly into our business needs and prepare the DBAs how to best handle the situations.

How has it helped my organization?

The best example is the day-to-day performance monitoring with the CA Detector product.

By using CA Detector, we can see what is consuming the IBM DB2 resources. We can then analyze its specifics and address distinct actions, through the integration with the other products.

This has improved our overall business goals, because we were able to address the most impactful business processes, so as to mitigate their impact on the others.

What needs improvement?

The initial setup parameters are quite exhaustive and some parameters cross with the products.

Hence, getting the parameters set to meet our needs and then sync them across the products took significant time and effort.

We got the twelfth license with Platinum Technology, who originally created this product. We have had it in-house, since the late 1980s and have kept it through the vendor changes and re-evaluations.

We have not had any stability issues. Since we have had this suite for so long, the areas where the instabilities usually crop up have long ago been flagged and prepared for beforehand.

We have not experienced any scalability issues. We have had a stable z/OS Server environment for some time.

The technical support is very good! It does depend on the product, but across the array of products in the suite, the support is consistent and very responsive.

We evaluated several product suites at the beginning, but this was the one that we first purchased and we have stuck with it.

The initial setup here was phased over time, for the whole product suite. The installation itself is fairly complicated because of the array of products, although they have it documented in a straightforward manner.

The complexity comes from the customization that is required for each of the products. This is so it will work as we require it to, across all the facets of the IBM DB2 solution.

Work for an overall solution. Competing product suites seem to serve the same functions. But it is the overall integration of all the products that meets our needs and makes this suite so beneficial to our business.

In the late 1980s, there were only two solutions namely Platinum Technology and BMC, who provided additional functions and front-end support for the IBM DB2 utility work.

We looked at both options and took the Platinum solution, after budget negotiations.

The DBAs measured that both the products were quite comparative and either of them would have met the business needs at the time.

When IBM got into the game, we re-evaluated products across a number of vendors and decided to stay with the CA Suite.

What other advice do I have?

Utilize the CA resources at the conferences! They provide good access to their technical support and many times at their events as well. They even have a very good one-on-one discourse.

19.0
More CA Database Management for DB2 for zOS reviews from users
Find out what your peers are saying about Broadcom, DBmaestro, Quest Software and others in Database Development and Management. Updated: June 2021.
509,820 professionals have used our research since 2012.