CA Database Management Solutions for DB2 for z/OS Review

The exceptions function checks for stopped databases.

What is most valuable?

The biggest functionality for me was with SYSVIEW for DB2. I used all the functions but exceptions and possible monitoring related to it.

I left the company when we started implementing v19 and I know from my colleague that in v19, they implement the exceptions function I asked for, which checks for stopped databases.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the DB2 v11 upgrade process, so I was able to check more and react faster to problems we observed such as required rebinds.

What needs improvement?

The vendor reacts to my requests and implements our requirements, which is a benefit of contacting the developers in Prague directly.

I have used the solution for four years including version upgrades.

We had no issues with stability. Everything was working perfectly with DB2 v10 and v11 after the upgrade.

We had no issues with scalability but our systems are not so large. For this amount of customers and systems, it worked almost perfectly (more than 80 LPARs).

About eight out of the ten issues we had were resolved in less than a week.

Only one issue was not resolved but this was because the customer did not agree to send data which the vendor asked for as it was user-sensitive data but without this, a full investigation was not possible. The customer agreed with this.

We also evaluated BMC. CA solutions were cheaper.

In the beginning, we had the possibility to compare solutions and a whole replacement was easier.

You should check the prices over the whole license period and make a future agreement; for example, adding information about a maximum price for a future new contract after replacement. The second contract probably will not be so good like the first one.

We evaluated IBM, BMC and CA.

What other advice do I have?

Check if you have any written procedures and how complicated they are. Our own written procedures delayed the whole project from six months to more than a year.