CA Gen Review

Excellent Tool for Mainframes, GUI, Web Development

What is our primary use case?

CA Gen is an advanced version of Advantage Gen/COOL Gen/IEF, which were tools for rapid application development in mainframes and a client/server environment. CA Gen has added web development capability.

How has it helped my organization?

Advantage Gen greatly enhanced productivity as well as development of solutions in mainframes, Client, and server applications. However, it was lacking the web development features, which has been provided by CA Gen.

What is most valuable?

• Model-based development
  • Click and drag development facility
  • Automatic code generation

What needs improvement?

The product needs to be well marketed, then adopted. I am not seeing many customers using the product.

More than five years.

It has excellent stability. Applications have been used for more than 10 years without any major issues.

We were using our own administration tools. However, this does not have the type of facilities provided by Amazon Web Services, which can be provided by CA Gen.

Another team was involved, which was able to resolve issues on-time.

IEF/COOL Gen.

Initial setup is straightforward. We received excellent support from vendor.

We implemented with the help of CA, as well as in-house. CA's support was excellent.

Great.

I was not involved in pricing and/or licensing, which was managed by another team.

We evaluated Telon.

What other advice do I have?

It is an excellent product.