CA IDMS Review

We get network database performance. It supports our back office.

What is most valuable?

It's a stable platform. We've used it for many years as part of the legacy applications going back to early 80s. We get network database performance. We're able to scale it up. It's effective.

We've been able to fine tune it over the years to get really good performance out of it, and maintain some database network support.

How has it helped my organization?

We've had it in place for so long that it's actually part of the processes now. We have not built anything new in it, per se, over the last ten years.

It supports our back office. The systems that CA IDMS supports includes back offices; so they've been very effective at claim, health care, inquiries, support, transaction support, all the processes that we do behind the scenes. It's the engine that's running our accounting areas for claims processing.

What needs improvement?

I don't have anything to add. I've heard about web services. We might be looking at a Java connection or web services in the future. It's serving our purpose right now. We're not looking for anything new.

For what we do, it meets all our needs. We have to use DB2 when we need more relational constructs, expanded inquiry and reporting; so it's not perfect in that regards.

We use it really for our transaction processing, not as much for reporting. For transaction processing, it's doing the job we need. To go into more in-depth, high-volume reporting, we offload a lot of the data to DB2.

We've had no issues with scalability. We've been able to put whatever we need in it. We've grown the system over the years.

I don't support the platform, so I'm really not in a position to rate technical support. Our platform guys do that.

I go to some of the classes. I know what's going on, but I haven't had to specifically send a problem to technical support, or anything like that, and have them work on it.

These were legacy systems that were converted from old tape-to-tape batch systems; new online systems that were built 25-35 years ago. That was somebody, not me, who made the decision that we were going to go with IDMS way back when, and we've used it since.

I was involved in the initial setup back in the 80s. It was all new in the 80s, so there was a learning curve but once we got over the learning curve, it's been very easy to bring people in and out of. You did have to learn back then. Even our new folks that come on today, you have to teach them. It's middle of the road, I guess.

What other advice do I have?

When selecting a vendor, support is important for the people that support the platforms; and the stability of the platform is important.

If a colleague at another company who was looking at IDMS as a brand new installation, I’d say take classes at Framingham, join the IUA. Talk to peers who use IDMS. See how it would fit. It's a legacy product, so it's out there for things that have been in place for 20-30 years.