CA IDMS Review
The solution is the community; a tightly knit group of experts working on the product set for many years.

What is most valuable?

The solution is the community - a tightly knit group of experts who have been working on the product set for many years. The user community is really useful, really helpful, and it makes everyone feel all part of the same world; that we're all going to help each other. They know its benefits of speed, effectiveness, reliability, and scalability.

Our organization is the IDMS community, so we only exist because the product exists. I can advocate for IDMS until the cows come home; until the sun sets on Las Vegas.

What needs improvement?

I'd like to see some of the installation, maintenance, and support functions simplified so that some of our younger, newer members can take advantage of the product and maintain it to the same standard that the older members have in the past.

The stability of IDMS is second to none. Any problems we have are quickly fixed, and the main thing it does is look after the data that it holds. It is really reliable because that's what most businesses and most of our users rely on. It must keep its oath.

It scales from quite large to absolutely enormous. We have representatives from the users of some of the biggest databases in the world that run our mainframe. Scalability is second to none in my opinion.

Technical support was excellent.

What other advice do I have?

I'd say engage with your vendor. Make sure that the solution that you're choosing has a good support community, both inside the organization, and with a self-supporting community outside the organization.