CA IDMS Review

What is our primary use case?

Our primary use case is a customer service system, which records all the customer details, and follows through customer orders for British Telecom.

It's performed on a mainframe system, and it is performed by various means. The database management system called IDMS is actually just the database management system under the covers. The application that runs on that is been in-house written for many years, and is very stable.

How has it helped my organization?

It has been in the company for 30 years. It basically provides a stable platform for all the customer centric information to be stored and processed, in a reliable fashion.

What is most valuable?

• Reliability - It continues to work with a large OLTP workload that we need
  • Stability - It still runs applications that were developed over 30 years ago and also runs modern applications accessing using modern techniques
  • Performance - Handles OLTP transactions very snappily.
  • Modernization - has the capabilities necessary for us to carry into the future with modern development techniques and access methodology

What needs improvement?

I would like to see it made simpler to operate and maintain. I am a database administrator with many years of experience, but there are quite a few people who have not had the same experience. They would appreciate and benefit from a simplification and if it was made easier to use and maintain.

More than five years.

Stability is perfect! It is a really stable platform. It has been around for many years. We trust it implicitly.

It is perfectly scalable on the mainframe platform. If we get a bigger or a smaller mainframe, it is scalable perfectly on that basis.

Technical support is very good. They are very knowledgeable, very quick to respond, and very nice people, too.

Initial setup was 30 years ago. I only started working on it about 25 years ago.

What other advice do I have?

Explore the use and the performance of the system using the SQL option, as technical advice. In terms of stability advice, I would say call on the support of CA for the installation and setup of the product. Also, do not hold back on asking questions about the maintenance and continued support of the product.