CA InterTest Review

Helps programmers verify changes, identify any kind of logic mistakes, more quickly

What is our primary use case?

It's just a way to debug COBOL programs. In the CICS world, it's a primary debugging tool.

How has it helped my organization?

Programmers can verify their changes more quickly, identify any kind of logic mistakes in the program more quickly.

What is most valuable?

The line by line debugger of program logic for COBOL programs.

It allows you to do as much testing as you're required to do, to pretty much guarantee that when a program goes into production it's as error-free as possible. None of them are completely ever free, but as error free as possible.

What needs improvement?

I don't see how it can be improved. It's fine just the way it is.

More than five years.

I would say stability is about a nine out of 10, because we do occasionally come up with an issue that we need to contact the support center for help with.

Scalability would depend on how a customer uses it. For the way we use it here, there's no issue at all in scalability, it's fine.

You can have as many users as you like using it. Sometimes they'll "step on each other" if there are two applications that are testing in one particular region, one could cause some type of a storage overlay and that will hamper another customer trying to do something in the same region.

I would rate tech support at 10 out of 10. The folks that I've gotten on the phone know the product really well, and they're always able to help and find solutions.

It's not really complex at all. It's a basic set up, like any other product that you would use with the CICS. It comes with an install guide, and if you have any questions, I'd call the support center. I think they're very helpful.

It was here when I started, with the person that was mostly supporting it and installing it, so I had no choice. It's just what product we use.

What other advice do I have?

It's good. It serves its purpose and it's pretty dependable.

I gave it a 10 out of 10 because it gets installed and we don't have very many issues with it. If we did have an issue with it, and I can't work with the program to resolve it, I'll get help from the support center. They usually resolve it pretty quickly.