CA Network Flow Analysis Review

​All drill-down features and the utilization calendar chart. Quick way to find time period when the router interface is most utilized and to troubleshoot further by zooming into that period with a sma

What is most valuable?

All drill-down features and the utilization calendar chart. Quick way to find time period when the router interface is most utilized and to troubleshoot further by zooming into that period with a smaller level of resolution (1 minute) to find out which applications or/and users are generating the most traffic.

How has it helped my organization?

We can locate the source of network performance problems easier than before, so it saves a lot of time when troubleshooting.

What needs improvement?

I can’t really say, as there are some areas that I haven’t used yet. For instance, always found that the graphs generated by “Capacity Planning” looked kind of odd and didn’t seem to be useful. I cannot comment on Growth Report, AS Numbers, Flow Forensics, Analysis, Site-to-Site, since I haven’t used these. Would like to try them out sometime, but the documentation is sparse and I wish there was a webinar explaining the use of these features.

The Harvester crashed a few times, but it wasn’t so often to make a big deal about it.

I can’t say, since I am just a user, not an administrator or planner.

Four on a scale of one to 10. If one is able to find it at all, the documentation is often no help. And there seems to be no technical assistance center (TAC) but rather a community with no guarantee that the solutions put forward there are correct.

No, we’ve been using this from the beginning.

I was not involved in the initial setup, but I heard from colleagues that it was complicated. I do know that we asked if the VM for the standalone solution could be made available as an .ova file. I think the answer was no. I believe if this was possible, it would simplify the setup procedure.

I am not involved in this aspect.

I was not involved in evaluation. I believe at that time the other option was InfoVista.

What other advice do I have?

Despite the low level of support, I would still fully recommend this product, because even when not all the features are used, the advantage of having such a wealth of useful information about the network traffic in real time, together with such flexibility of its presentation, is undeniable. Other tools may boast of being able to integrate packet-inspection features like Wireshark etc., but this costs extra money and most customers either never need to use it or lack the knowledge of how to interpret this information, if they do.