CA Runscope Review

Helps us verify that production deployments do not break the features our customers use

What is our primary use case?

We are using it for API end-to-end testing.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps us verify that production deployments do not break the features our customers use.

What is most valuable?

We have the ability to populate environment variables using scripts. This allows us to keep the configuration mostly dynamic and avoid a lot of manual updates when something changes.

Schedules are a great way to have repetitive checks against the environment.

What needs improvement?

We would like to have an improved ability to share a set of tests across different environments (e.g., dev, stage, and prod). The shared environments feature is great in practice, but in reality, if you have two or three of them using the same set of tests, it gets complicated to figure out which environment is failing.

Overall, the user interface (UI) requires a lot of clicking around.

Waiting for asynchronous results requires a lot of "Pause" steps, which is quite difficult to get right. It would be great to have some type of "Waiting for Results" step, which would include success/failure conditions, then eventual timeout for retries.

More than five years.

There have been no stability issues.

There have been no scalability issues.

We have found working with the technical support to be great.

We did not previously use another solution.

The initial setup was straightforward, but it included a lot of repetitive manual work.

Not applicable.

We evaluated AppNeta, New Relic Synthetics, and custom implementations.

What other advice do I have?

Create a script to populate tests from a config file. Store it in a source control and load/update it through the API. Doing things through the UI wastes a lot of time.