CA Runscope Review

Enables us to monitor API endpoints to ensure everything is running

What is our primary use case?

We run all our production-level test cases on it. We use it to run against APIs to make sure those API endpoints are still there, that nothing has happened to them, that they haven't stopped running. This is a way of checking every five minutes. We use it as a monitoring tool.

How has it helped my organization?

It helps make sure that the program running the production server hasn't crashed without anybody knowing. Runscope makes sure that it runs properly and, if it does crash, something happens. It sends an email. Then, with Slack, we can notify somebody that something is not right.

What is most valuable?

It uses JavaScript which is easy.

What needs improvement?

I've noticed, once or twice, when there were some updates pushed by Runscope, at times it didn't refresh the pages. I was running it, there were multiple tests running at the same time, and it didn't update the webpage I was looking at. So I had to refresh it manually. Occasionally, it still happens.

Another thing I have found is that the built-in editor for the scripts can be improved a lot. Instead of making such a basic editor, maybe include a little more so it is easier to look at things and debug.

Finally, other than the Runscope documentation, I haven't seen too much elsewhere. I haven't seen a user community.

In general, it's pretty stable. Once or twice we have had some issues but that's it.

It is scalable, within the scope of what we're using it for.

I have not had an opportunity to contact technical support yet.

Although I wasn't with the company when they chose Runscope, one of the main things I was told was that they chose this product is because it's cloud-based. The company has different data centers. You can run it off the cloud and against different data centers. That's one of the plus points for most people for this product, as opposed to some other solutions.

I had a local setup done. It was pretty easy and straightforward.

I set it up in the development environment so that certain tests run there. I also did quite a bit of the production environment setup. That was more like creating an environment, not installing anything, such as a Runscope agent.

It was pretty straightforward. All the documentation is there. You just can't search the documentation.

What other advice do I have?

It's a pretty good product, as long as the price is okay for you.