Carbon Black Cb Response Review

Malicious activity detection response and automatic quarantining for endpoint security of your environment

What is our primary use case?

We use Carbon Black for detection and response. So we receive alerts from Carbon Black if it detects any malicious activity. We also use it to quarantine any devices that we may need to isolate due to the security risk that it presents.

What is most valuable?

What we mainly find valuable in the product is exactly what our use case is. We use Carbon Black for the intrusion alerts and quarantine. Those would be our favorite features.

What needs improvement?

If Carbon Black could improve in the area or reducing the number of false positives or if there was a better way to filter out false positives that would enhance efficiency and utility. But in general, I think we are happy with the performance of Carbon Black.

It would be nice to be able to consolidate all of our tools. We have Imperva for database monitoring, we have Red Cloak, we have Carbon Black, and we have Trend Micro. So when you end up installing multiple different tools that do various different things and they each come with their own agents that need to be on all the endpoints, it takes a toll on the utilization. One of the issues that we tend to encounter — especially when we have all these tools on all the endpoints — the number of agents can affect the performance of desktops and servers. So we get those issues from time to time because there are many agents on the endpoints. So it might be nice to either have a lighter-weight agent or an agent that encompasses multiple functions and different purposes for better integration so we do not have to install various tools.

I have been using the product since March 2019, so for almost a year now.

It was a little bit unstable at the beginning, but that was probably because we were getting a lot of false positives. The false positives were probably because of baselining. Baselining takes a little bit of time. Once it was baselined, things got better and we have not really encountered many issues over the last couple of months. So it stabilized maybe two to three months in.

Once we had the SCCM set up properly, we were able to scale up easily. With the policies set up and images corrected, it became relatively easy for us to scale.

I personally have not been in contact with the Carbon Black technical support team. Our information security team has worked more closely with them. I would not be able to provide feedback on their support first hand, but I have also not heard anything negative.

Security-wise, we are using a few different security tools for different purposes. We use Red Cloak which we deployed at the same time as Carbon Black. We tested and are using Trend Micro Tripwire and we are using Imperva as well. Red Cloak is very similar to Carbon Black.

Deployment was a little bit difficult, but that was mainly because of the way our infrastructure was set up at the time we went to set up Carbon Black about a year ago. We did not have a tool that was mapped to all of our IP assets that we could deploy Carbon Black to automatically. That would have greatly simplified the setup. That is mainly the reason it took some additional time. It was not necessarily an issue with Carbon Black, it was a problem with the setup of our own environment. Sometimes we did have other issues with the agent communicating with Carbon Black when the agent was deployed. We had to uninstall the agents and then reinstall them or we would have to essentially troubleshoot what the reason for the lapse in communication was.

We were able to deploy it by ourselves without the help of an integrator or some specialist. We eventually did the deployment using SCCM (System Center Configuration Manager). Originally, we began by trying to deploy it manually and that is probably why it took so long. Once we had the SCCM agents deployed on all of our endpoints, then it was a lot easier for us to deploy Carbon Black in bulk.

What other advice do I have?

I do not think I have a lot of advice for people who are considering implementing the product at this point because most of our experience with the product has been relatively straightforward. I would just suggest that you have your white list set up before deploying if you are using automatic quarantine. Otherwise, it can cause issues in your operating environment. This is especially important if you are a sensitive location like a bank. In that case, automatic quarantine could be a big issue.

On a scale from one to ten where one is the worst and ten is the best, I would rate Carbon Black CB Response as between an eight or nine. For our use case, I would say it is an eight.

More Carbon Black Cb Response reviews from users