Check Point NGFW Review

Effective security and local support have been the key features for us

What is our primary use case?

It is our next-generation firewall and IPS.

How has it helped my organization?

We had some security issues that WatchGuard could not resolve. Since installing Check Point, we have not had any troubles. We don't have any security problems anymore.

Also, as we are systems integrators, we could not offer only one brand to our customers. We had to expand to several solutions to enable customers to make their own decisions.

What is most valuable?

It's a gateway and we can integrate some of their functionalities. It's a gateway for us to work with them. Compared to the previous solution we had - WatchGuard - Check Point really works.

What needs improvement?

We looked very closely at ArcSight's solution because it's a multi-vendor solution. With ArcSight we could have Check Point, we could have RSA, we could have any brand and integrate several brands, from a security point of view. With Check Point, you cannot do so, you can integrate with Check Point products. Check Point forces the customer to buy only one vendor's solution but the trends of the market are not to work with only one vendor. If Check Point could work with other vendor solutions, that would an improvement.

It would also help if they had solutions for the SMB market. Check Point is only useful for customers that have a big IT budget. If they don't have the IT budget, the customer has to buy a solution that from another vendor.

For the last 10 or 12 years, Check Point has been at the top of the industry ratings, so this demonstrates they make good products. The stability is really good.

Technical support is really good. We work with a partner from Check Point, a very good partner. The time of response is very good. We are satisfied with the solutions that Check Point has provided us.

Before using Check Point we were using WatchGuard, but it was not a good brand. Support from them was very difficult. We decided on Check Point because, first of all, their salespeople did a good job. In addition, their position in the market helped us decide to buy. Also, we are systems integrators and many of our customers use Check Point. Their feedback helped us make the decision to go with Check Point.

An important criterion when selecting a vendor is that the vendor has to provide support here in Peru. Our experience with WatchGuard not having a local representative was that the support was not good in terms of time of response as well as difficulties with the idioms of the language. We speak Spanish and the support was only in English, so it was difficult.

I'm not part of the technical staff. But from what I heard, the setup was fine. I believe the installation and deployment were without any problems.

Check Point solutions are very expensive here. It's good, but it's expensive.

What other advice do I have?

Some vendors offer a PoC. When you do a PoC you can more easily see which is the better solution. We would recommend requiring a PoC.

I would rate Check Point an eight out of 10. They're not a 10 because of their pricing.