Check Point UTM-1 [EOL] Review

Enables us to log all details and troubleshoot when a problem occurs

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use the solution as a firewall function for levels 3 and 4.

How has it helped my organization?

The major improvement was the ability to have a very good log. We're able to log all details and troubleshoot when a problem occurs.

What is most valuable?

The most valuable feature for us was to implement negligent functionality, to direct functionality to viewer control and application control so we could disconnect, and at the same time, we installed checkpoints. We disconnected our proxy.

What needs improvement?

The solution could be improved if there was a better way to report. The reporting functionality is not really good. Even though it's not the major function. Maybe adding a way to make a custom report.

I've been using the solution for two years.

The stability is very, very good, from my point of view. We have about 1,000 users.

The scalability is very good. We have we had to upgrade the platform during that time because we needed some additional performance when deploying the application and it was working with the platform.

Just before we deployed Check Point, we were using a French solution. We switched because the solution was only level 3 and 4.

The initial setup was relatively straightforward. Deployment probably took about two weeks. At the time we deployed the platform, we were only two people maintaining, and we both monitored the platform. Deployment was fine, for me, even though we had some problems with a performance issue due to the antivirus.

We deployed the platform with an integrator.

What other advice do I have?

I would always recommend the product. The only reason why we switched from Check Point, in fact, to Fortinet, is because we have a remote site in Algeria. There's an embargo. We cannot import Check Point products in Algeria.

I would rate this product 8 out of 10. Ten means perfect to me and no product is perfect.