Checkmarx Review

Good interface and reporting capability, and it integrates well with other products

What is our primary use case?

I am in charge of application security and Checkmarx is one of the products that I use in this capacity. We use this product for code scanning and static code analysis.

What is most valuable?

The user interface is modern and nice to use.

This product has very good reports.

Checkmarx integrates with a lot of different tools such as BitBucket and Jira.

There is good coverage for different languages.

What needs improvement?

I think that the configuration is a bit difficult and we required support from Checkmarx to complete it (there are a lot of manual, not documented configurations should be done, like direct changes in a Database for example).  This is the case, at least, if you are using the on-premises version. From my point of view, the configuration should be improved.

If it is a very large code base then we have a problem where we cannot scan it (if more then ~ 30 mb zip file provided - scan is crashes or takes a lot of time) . It seems to me that they have a problem with the number of code line scans.

In the future, I would like to see Checkmarx support a combination of dynamic and static code scanning (IAST)

I have been working with Checkmarx for about five months.

It works fine but if you have a file that is too big to scan then it takes a lot of time to run and sometimes crashes.

There is a problem with the memory, and scanning a large codebase should be done by dividing it into different files. For microservices with a small number of lines of code, it works well well. On the other hand, scanning a legacy solution such as a big monolith with millions of lines of code in it has been a problem. We need to make certain modifications to the files before we can upload them to the scan.

We have 80 users who are using Checkmarx.

They have very good technical support and we haven't had a problem with them. If you have a problem that you cannot handle on your own or you need to configure this product then you should have technical support.

The basic installation is easy for us but in our case, we had some additional configuration that had to be done to access our documents on the server. We were not able to complete it without help from Checkmarx because there are a lot of configuration options, and we had to make manual changes to the database as well.

What other advice do I have?

In summary, this is a good application that you can use to scan every code language. You can configure the scan because they provide the Checkmarx query language. These queries are very good and very flexible. It requires a knowledge of this language but you can reach and deal with it using most languages.

More Checkmarx reviews from users