Cisco ACI Review

We have saved time on the provisioning and configuration

What is our primary use case?

The primary use case is for our data centers. It has performed quite well so far. We interconnected it with our legacy infrastructure. We are now considering moving everything into the new environment, and hoping for the best.

How has it helped my organization?

It improved the speed of the daily business. With the preconfigured workflows, daily business task are now done more quickly than in the past.

What is most valuable?

Automation is its most valuable feature.

What needs improvement?

I am still not quite happy with the APIC GUI, since I am more of a CLI guy. I don't really use the GUI a lot. It would be better to introduce some wizards to guide you through the whole configuration process instead of clicking through a bunch of menus with no concrete path. It is too easy to forget one or another if you configure it this way. A wizard would be a great help.

We are still struggling with some design issues, but most of these issues will be fixed in the next release.

Still implementing.

The stability has been good so far. We still haven't brought our entire workload into ACI. We just have particular systems running on it, but they are perfectly stable. However, there is still the question mark of what will happen when we bring all our data into the new environment, and If it can carry it.

The scalability has been great. It is very easy to scale. We are quite a big customer, so we had some scalability issues with the older, multi-part environment versions of Cisco products.

The technical support is good. Though, I am not that experience with them, as I try to resolve issues on my own.

We switched to this solution to be able to automize. We were starting to migrate our old legacy network from user campuses, backbones, and data centers into SDN technology, and automation was a requirement for the new solution that we chose.

The setup was quite straightforward. Building the Fabric with the automatic discovery process doesn't require you to do a lot compared to the old legacy networks.

We used Cisco for the deployment.

We have saved time on the provisioning and configuration.

Because of timeline issues, we were focused to use Cisco products and did not consider any other vendors.

What other advice do I have?

If you are still using the finger-defined networking approach, I would recommend trying this solution.

We are happy that spanning tree feature was not included in the new design.