Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

Offers big data support for analytical applications but the technical support needs improvement

What is our primary use case?

We primarily use it only for big data support for analytical applications.

What is most valuable?

The feature that we've used quite intensively is Spark, in how it specifically can speed up some of the data to assist with processing.

What needs improvement?

The one thing that we struggled with predominately was support. Because it was relatively new, support was always a big issue and I think it's still a bit of an ongoing concern with the team currently managing it.

In the next release, I think it would be helpful if there was easier integration into all the other existing data back corners. It will be a big plus as it's a favorite capability. We had to go with a third-party application in order to achieve that.

I've been using the solution since 2016.

The stability is problematic. We did encounter quite a lot of issues with the cluster going down quite frequently.

In terms of scalability, if you have enough hardware you can scale out. Scalability doesn't have any issues. Currently, only about 10 people in total are using the solution. So we have about four business users and then four technical people. It's only limited to two environments.

I think there's a lot of room for improvement on the technical support side. Mostly because we don't have a lot of local skills in South Africa that could have supported the solution. It was an issue.

This is our first solution. We tested a bunch of other technologies, but that was our first one and we're still using it.

The initial implementation was straightforward from an application side. There weren't any hiccups. In terms of deployment time, it's going to be difficult to say, because most of it was related to hardware problems. Software took about two months to deploy. We required four people for deployment.

The pricing is very competitive. It's not bad.

We considered working with a few other companies, including IBM Bluemix.

What other advice do I have?

I would recommend the solution given that they've proven the business case and that they've proven the technology. We have found that if you don't use or address the right business code you end up buying a technology that doesn't necessarily solve your business problems.

I would rate the solution seven out of ten. The main reason for not rating it higher is that I think that the overall support is not great and we've found some limitations. It wasn't mature when we started. It's getting there. It's getting better. The main reason for the score of seven is mainly the support as well as the limited functionality.