Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop Review

Helpful to build infrastructure for advanced analytics and is easy to install

What is our primary use case?

I'm part of the IT team at my company, and our primary use case of this solution is building infrastructure for advanced analytics, where we copy data from our data warehouse that is now our relational database. We copy it to the Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop and then analyze it with Python and machine learning.

What is most valuable?

The features I find most valuable is that the solution is that it is easy to install and to work with. It starts with the installation and from there on the management is very simple and centralized.

What needs improvement?

I would like to see an improvement in how the solution helps me to handle the whole cluster. For example, when I'm going down to a specific tool, like Kafka, for example, the Cloudera manager doesn't really help me. Then I have to use Google with other Kafka knowledge and tools.

I've been using this solution for about three years now.

It is a very stable solution.

Not many people are currently using this solution at my organization, but I do believe it is scalable. I don't, however, have experience with upgrading or adding users.

My problem is that I started using Cloudera Express without technical support and then I purchased the Enterprise edition through another company. So now I don't really have access to Cloudera support, even though I hardly need to use it.

The initial setup was simple, but we had trouble implementing the cables in the Hadoop solution.

What other advice do I have?

I had a bad experience connecting the Cloudera Distribution for Hadoop cluster to my other resources in the company, like the active directory or firewall. I would like to see the outside environment to be easier to handle. I will rate this eight out of ten because the solution doesn't cover everything. It is a very complicated solution because it contains a lot of internal tools.