CloudFloorDNS Enterprise DNS Review

Monitoring and failover were great. They saved me from having to move hostnames manually

What is our primary use case?

Upgraded DNS from GoDaddy to CloudFloor a few years ago. Wanted more reliability for our engineering firm and also used the DNS failover services to monitor and failover our web server and VPN to a backup IP.

How has it helped my organization?

Allowed us to get more uptime, especially with the failover. When our primary ISP went down, we could move the VPN hostname to a backup IP. This helped provide a better level of service to our employees using the VPN when we had a failure on the main ISP. The automatic failover sent me a notification and moved the IPs to the backup ISP within a few minutes.

What is most valuable?

Monitoring and failover were great. They saved me from having to move hostnames manually (i.e., staying up in bed in the middle of the night).

What needs improvement?

Compared to the other platforms, the interface is not as smooth, but the options and support help make that a non-issue. I also liked that CloudFloor had domain registration, although I didn't use it.

The notifications on the failover are quite extensive and the amount of protocols to test with was impressive. I am working on moving my new company over to their DNS in the near future.

Never had an issue, and would have an SLA if there were.

It's Anycast; it's definitely more scalable than my previous DNS.

Great, never made a call but the helpdesk was easy, and a rep responded rather quickly.

I've used GoDaddy, BlueHost and a Network Solutions DNS but the TTLs weren't low enough to support failover (and they didn't offer it), so I switched. The Anycast DNS also offered better reliability than my previous DNS providers.

Setup was easy; they had good docs on how to set up, add domains and other required steps to move DNS.

In-house.

Tough to provide numbers, but avoiding downtime and calls from my employees when the VPN goes down was priceless. This helped avoid helpdesk tickets, and within a few minutes, the VPN was back up.

Setup was amazing, changing my DNS provider isn't fun. They took my zone files and imported them and then spent time walking me through the interface when I had questions. The support and help to get my zones in there really helped me realize I made a good decision. I can add sub-users and set permissions as well which was good.

Yes, a few others like DNS Made Easy and ZoneEdit and EasyDNS. I liked that CloudFloorDNS was local in my area.

What other advice do I have?

I would like to see CloudFloor update their interface and make a novice and expert mode maybe, otherwise I'm satisfied with its performance and price.