Cloudify Review

It can be deployed in combinations of cloud environments.

What is most valuable?

The application orchestration and NFV capabilities represent the state of the art in orchestration tools. Cloudify can be deployed successfully in any combination of cloud environments, including AWS, Azure, OpenStack, Hyper-V and VMware; same automated process, any platform. As TOSCA adoption increases and becomes more standard, we feel comfortable recommending Cloudify to our customers because it will preserve their investment and avoid vendor lock-in.

How has it helped my organization?

We have solved many critical problems for our customers with Cloudify, including DevOps deployment, hybrid cloud management and VNF. These implementations have saved millions of dollars in operational and cloud management costs for our customers.

What needs improvement?

We like the current roadmap, which is evolving Cloudify into the cloud management platform space. We'd like to see the maturity of the plugins continue, including Amazon EMR and others.

Specifically, we’d like to see Cloudify evolve its functionality to include a service catalog, chargeback functionality and an enhanced governance policy engine. When the product has that capability, coupled with the advanced application orchestration and NFV that it already does so well, it will be a formidable competitor in the CMP space.

I have used it for 2.5 years.

Deployment should be well thought out because of the complexity of the environments that can be managed by Cloudify. For example, with DevOps, it is important to use application development standards, including shared services to be able to deploy apps in multiple cloud platforms.

We have not encountered any stability issues in the past 12 months.

We have not encountered any scalability issues.

Customer service is very responsive. We have had no issues and the Cloudify organization is great to work with.

I rate technical support very highly. GigaSpaces has some very deep technical expertise in cloud platforms, orchestration and cloud management.

For small implementations, the initial setup is straightforward. YAML skills are essential so you can understand blueprinting (define once, deploy anywhere) and best practices.

We have been able to realize ROI for our customers in the form of reduced cost, higher top line and increased valuation through improved profitability. Customers can expect an ROI of 6 to 18 months depending on problem, scope and size.

The great thing about Cloudify is that it is open source. Prospects can download it, install it, and configure it, and really see which problems can be solved and how it can co-exist inside an existing technology investment portfolio. If you have an existing investment in configuration management or a cloud management platform, start to think about the complimentary aspects and how Cloudify can work with those tools. Once you truly understand the value that it can bring to your organization, then you can conduct an accurate ROI and decide on licensing. We would recommend that any production environment be licensed. Using open-source code without support in a live environment is not worth the risk.

Before partnering with GigaSpaces and Cloudify, we evaluated many tools, including Red Hat CloudForms/OpenShift, as well as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, StackStorm, Ayehu and others.

What other advice do I have?

Before becoming a GigaSpaces implementation partner and investing in Cloudify, we conducted a thorough market analysis, including both proprietary and open-source solutions. We selected Cloudify because of the scalability, ease of integration (so our customers can keep their existing investments in a CMP or config orchestration tool) and rapid evolution of the product. It enables us to solve our customers' automation problems quickly and with minimal investment and risk.

Disclosure: My company has a business relationship with this vendor other than being a customer: Zefflin is an implementation partner of GigaSpaces.
2 visitors found this review helpful