CloudStack Review

Easy to manage accounts and limits, helps us govern resource usage

What is our primary use case?

CloudStack is our private IaaS cloud which helps us manage resource usage in our company. It is also a great PoC environment.

How has it helped my organization?

It gives us a new way of providing IaaS services internally, for different departments. Also, CloudStack is providing us much more profit than OpenStack.

What is most valuable?

• User-friendly portal
  • VPN P2S and S2S possibilities
  • Easy to manage accounts and limits

What needs improvement?

1. VPN P2S: It's cutting all connections except the CloudStack environment for the user when he is connected. I would like to have VPN like Cisco's AnyConnect.
  2. It would be great to have a couple of “external” networks for VPC and have the possibility, for each domain, to choose they type of “external” network.
  3. From time to time there is a bug in calculating limits of resources for customer domain/account. Maybe it’s a problem with 4.9.2.
  4. I would like to have billing built in as a feature.
  5. Integration with some backup software.

The system is stable, I haven't faced any problems with it. The organization of management is simple and clear.

It’s hard to say because I have quite a small environment. But adding nodes to the cluster/POD was done without any problems.

I haven’t used technical support, but what is really good that there is a lot of written use cases within the network. I think this is more than enough.

OpenStack was my first implementation but it’s really difficult to manage. The installation required a lot of resources just to start the platform, and the user experience was totally unsatisfactory.

After that I tried Azure Stack just for testing, but it’s also very heavy.

It was easy and took no more than an hour (including HA configuration).

What other advice do I have?

Every infrastructure is different, and company policies are also different. I can’t advise in a general way here. I can only say that KVM and Citrix, as a hypervisors, are very stable with CLoudStack. The rest is up to the architecting fantasy of the administrator.

This solution really works. That’s it.