Cohesity DataPlatform Review

Enables us to easily provision new SMB file shares

What is our primary use case?

Cohesity CDM solution is our primary backup solution and we use it to back up our entire VMware infra, MSSQL, Oracle, SAP HANA & BASIS applications, and we also use this for our cloud archive solution. Earlier, we outsourced our solution and backups are using TSM as their solution but we have some serious issues without huge SAP DB's which was eliminated once we started using Cohesity. We choose this product after testing many POCs with different legacy and new era backup vendors but finally we chose this due to features offered by Cohesity.

How has it helped my organization?

Cohesity was brought into our organization as a replacement for traditional magnetic tape backups (formerly using IBM Tivoli Storage manager as our backup solution). We also were looking for a replacement for legacy NAS devices for the storage of unstructured data like home and user drives across the organization and we have our most of the applications and DBs are hosted on vSAN VMware infra which are high in size. Our backup and recovery rate using Cohesity is reduced almost one by fourth as compared to our old solution.

What is most valuable?

• Backups - Cohesity makes it very easy to back up our VMware environment. They also have specialized backups for Active Directory, SQL, O365 Email, and legacy storage devices.
  • File services - Cohesity allows us to easily provision new SMB file shares.
  • Easy and non-disruptive Cohesity software upgrades.
  • Our data center size occupancy for Cohesity appliance is reduced by 70% when we install Cohesity.
  • Plug and play installation for new software addition or removal for node addition/removal.

What needs improvement?

• Documentation - Their documentation portal is not up to date for newer releases and I strongly recommend Cohesity to increase their efforts on the documentation portal.
  • Multi-tenancy is supporting limited functionalities and we are excepting to work for all features when we use multi-tenancy.
  • It would be nice to be able to restore Active Directory objects.
  • I would like to see an easier filtering mechanism on the elastic search. Currently, a global search in Cohesity GUI has limited functionality only to search sources.

We are using it for 2+ years now.

We use IBM TSM by outsourcing, now we choose as our internal solution because of it's features, support and price saving over years as compared to other vendors in Market.

Compare and choose wisely by considering initial 7 operational costs. And require less FTEas compared to other legacy vendors.

We have done testing of Actifio, Rubrik, Commvault and Coohesity and Cohesity is a winner in our case.